PDA

View Full Version : what is a dual stage intake manifold?

newaccorddriver
09-18-2005, 09:03 PM
i know there is a dual stage intake manifold in the 88-89 accords, but whats the difference between that and the one on my 86 accord?

A20A1
09-18-2005, 09:08 PM
You have a single stage, meaning the Runner Length (The length of the intake tubing from the plenum to the cylinderhead) is the same all the time.

The dual stage intake manifold has 2 sets of Runners, one set is shorter then the other. The extra set of runners is closed untill a certain rpm, then they open to give a shorter runner length.

newaccorddriver
09-18-2005, 09:30 PM
You have a single stage, meaning the Runner Length (The length of the intake tubing from the plenum to the cylinderhead) is the same all the time.

The dual stage intake manifold has 2 sets of Runners, one set is shorter then the other. The extra set of runners is closed untill a certain rpm, then they open to give a shorter runner length.

is the dual stage one electronically controlled or something? i wouldnt mind adding it to my car, but i have a feeling the higher compression in the 88-89 have a little thing to do with the extra hp

maka_RTH
09-18-2005, 09:38 PM
it's vacuum controlled.

A20A1
09-19-2005, 02:04 AM
It is electronicly controlled in that the solenoid is electric.

The solenoid is what holds the vacuum in the vacuum chamber untill it gets the signal to open and bleed the vacuum. When the vacuum bleeds the second stage diaphragm that uses vacuum to hold the secondaries closed, will begin to open because the vacuum is weaker then the spring on the diaphragm.

The spring opens the second stage, the vacuum holds it closed, and the solenoid controls the vacuum stored in the cannister, the more vacuum in the cannister the stronger the vacuum, the stronger the vacuum the harder it is for the spring to open the second stage.

You will need intake manifold from the 88-89 EFI accord ( A20A3 )

If you want electronic control of your secondaries then take a look at this thread.
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=46115

Elijah
09-19-2005, 02:32 AM
I have my old one you can have if you want. I will give it to you next time I see you or at a meet or something. I think its a mod not worth doing though. If your gonna change the intake mani just get a B16 one.

newaccorddriver
09-19-2005, 03:55 PM
I have my old one you can have if you want. I will give it to you next time I see you or at a meet or something. I think its a mod not worth doing though. If your gonna change the intake mani just get a B16 one.

im currently having some trouble removing the auto tranny, so im going to start on some interior work until i can figure out what to do. im going to try and get a B16 manifold, but the problem is im not old enough to order off ebay... and i dont have a credit card yet... 2 more months and i dont have to sit through and watch those low priced auctions go by...

baby D
09-19-2005, 04:55 PM
im currently having some trouble removing the auto tranny, so im going to start on some interior work until i can figure out what to do. im going to try and get a B16 manifold, but the problem is im not old enough to order off ebay... and i dont have a credit card yet... 2 more months and i dont have to sit through and watch those low priced auctions go by...
just remember the shift cable dont come out of the trans,and then you have to pull the motor too, all in one shot.oh, yeah, dont for get the torque converter bolts, they suck when the trany is alraedy in. :bong:

newaccorddriver
09-19-2005, 06:09 PM
just remember the shift cable dont come out of the trans,and then you have to pull the motor too, all in one shot.oh, yeah, dont for get the torque converter bolts, they suck when the trany is alraedy in. :bong:

its apart, i just cant find enough room to drop it, and its too heavy to lift

newaccorddriver
09-21-2005, 08:32 PM
If your gonna change the intake mani just get a B16 one.

what do the B16 intakes come from? just the civic SiR's?

Busted_Blue
09-21-2005, 08:51 PM
what do the B16 intakes come from? just the civic SiR's?

same as b18c5 or b16a.

integra type r manifolds, or b16a powered cars.

skunk2 makes a good copycat as well as blox.

newaccorddriver
09-21-2005, 10:05 PM
skunk2 makes a good copycat as well as blox.

those 2 sound pretty expensive

snoopyloopy
09-22-2005, 06:58 PM
blox's on ebay are going for about $170, and skunk2's are about $230.

myaccord7
09-22-2005, 07:42 PM
so are they kinda like an old school vtec?

zach

A20A1
09-22-2005, 09:57 PM
Well variable runner lengths have been around for a while, vtec and secondary runners both try to widen the powerband in their own fashion.