PDA

View Full Version : 02 sensor discussion

cody509
09-19-2005, 01:56 AM
i got an air/fuel gauge recently to try to help in the tuning of my carb...and have a few quick questions

i read somewhere that you can simply snip the 02 sensor wire and hook it up to the gauge because technically our motors only use the 02 sensor for emissions, is this correct?

speaking of which, is there only 1 sensor on the whole exhaust system?
located on the header? i expected there to be another one on, or near the catalytic converter.

i spliced in the wire after the small clip connecter on the 02 sensor going to the header as this was the only one i found, and in the instructions it said to do it like this.

it lights up and everthing but reads a real sluggish response on the gauge, it says im extremely lean when i know as of right now it is the exact opposite.

should i snip the 02 sensor and directly connect?
is there another wire i need to hook it up too?

just want this thing to read a semi-accurate response, instead of being a cheesy light-show.

thanks guys

A20A1
09-19-2005, 02:18 AM
See the trouble is when you splice into the O2 wire is that the signal is diminished... I had to hook my wire directly to the sensor for it to work nicely.

Also remember that the exhaust/sensor needs to heat up for it to read correctly.
At idle it can cool and the signal can be off.

I used an Autometer A/F Gauge with stock O2 sensor.

cody509
09-19-2005, 10:14 AM
is there only 1 sensor on the whole exhaust system located on the header? i expected there to be another one on, or near the catalytic converter.

A20A1
09-19-2005, 12:58 PM
There is only one, on newer hondas they have one near the cat or on the cat.

The efi header has two o2 sensor ports.

cody509
09-19-2005, 10:02 PM
There is only one, on newer hondas they have one near the cat or on the cat.

The efi header has two o2 sensor ports.

well that sums up this topic, i basically figured out everything on my own like 20 minutes after the first post. but thanks again a20