PDA

View Full Version : Almost mint

ice_cold_ian
09-19-2005, 10:34 PM
Hey guys, i am new to the Fourm, avid Honda man, living in Canada and i LOVE my 3 gee. 1987 LX, blue.
The car only has 179,000km on it (111,875Miles for my southern neighbors). There is a little bit of rust around the back wheels just over where the bumper starts, but i use touchup paint on it, and its hard to notice. The status of the car is rebuilt, it was written off from some front end damage a few years ago. I unfortunatley had to purchase a new Drive Rack a few days ago (with Front wheel alignment and leighbor it was $850CDN!!!) and have replaced the alternator, but those are the only repairs i have had to do to the car since i bought it well over a year ago. - likley the reason i had to purchase the new Drive Rack was because of someone improperly fixing the car after it was written off, there was a small hole in it where i was leaking alot of powersteering fluid.
There are a few little things that i can't seem to figure out, i searched through the forums as the rules clearly ask me to, but was unable to find an answer...
-Ever since I had my new alternator installed (about 2 months ago) my batterly light flickers on and off when I have my headlights on and radio, and am riding the breaks (coming into a park, or approaching a stop sign/red light) I took it back to the mechanic, and said that both the battery and alternator are working fine, so there is nothing to worry about. I purchased new Battery post connections, and cleaned off the posts on the battery, but the problem continues.
-Since around the time i purchased the car it has been making a very loud rattle noise that cuts in and out depending on the RPMs. I assumed it was some sort of a heat guard on the exhaust system above the muffler. When i took the car into a mechanic to get my new Drive Rack installed, i asked them to check it out, They called back and confirmed what i had thought, and said the heat sheild on the exhaust was rusted horribley, and they removed it. However, the noise continues.... Oddly enough, when you shut the driver side door, or shut the hood of the car you can hear that same rattle for a slight second. Where could this be coming from?

Thanks alot for your help if anyone knows what could be causing this, i look forward to reading more on this website, gotta have pride in the late 80's accords.

Blkblurr
09-20-2005, 12:58 PM
Sounds like your belt is loose. As you increase the load on your alt it takes more torque to spin it. If the belt is loose you will cause it to slip. The lower voltage that follows causes the battery light to come on.

Pro_Mod_Accord
09-20-2005, 01:29 PM
The rear of the Exhaust is probley bouncing off of the rear heat shield...The muffler could be losely in place at the back...check it and secure it tightly..

if not could be the rear hanger bracket(rubber is broke) and then allows the exhaust to bounce arround..