PDA

View Full Version : auto transmission dying?

Stockli
09-20-2005, 03:38 PM
First of all, I'd like to thank everybody that helped me out before. I finally got the head back together and everything worked.

I've been driving the car for about a week now. This evening, I was driving and the car lost power and the engine went down to ~1500rpm from around 2500. It would buck up and down when I gave it a lot of gas. It seemed to only do it in 4th gear (when getting the revs up to 2500) at first, but it started doing it in all gears. At one point, the car actually stopped and stalled out. I was able to start it up and drive it home at 25 mph. I checked and added some transmission fluid, which seemed to help for 10 minutes or so, but the problem started up again.

Is my transmission dying? Thanks guys

shepherd79
09-21-2005, 03:35 PM
take it to trans mechanic, (AAMCO i believe is the name).

Stockli
09-26-2005, 08:42 AM
Update:

I noticed the problem only occurs when the car has warmed up. The transmission seems to shift and drive well up until shortly after the car gets warm. Could it be a fuel pump or choke issue? I took the air cleaner off and watched the butterfly valve and it didn't seem to move at all after running the car for a while.

Also, I've read that you should hear the fuel pump turn on when you turn the key, but I have never heard a hum or click since I've had the car running.

Thanks

hyongel
09-26-2005, 06:28 PM
I'm not an expert on this at all, but ...

Is your timing correct? I had similar issues with my '88 lx auto (ran fine for a while but after ~10 min on the highway, it began to sputter/stall if the engine went below about 1500 rpm); I ended up overhauling the carb and then remembered that I had advanced the timing a bit a week before. The car went back to driving smoothly after the carb was cleaned up & the timing retarded.

Just an idea.

Update:

I noticed the problem only occurs when the car has warmed up. The transmission seems to shift and drive well up until shortly after the car gets warm. Could it be a fuel pump or choke issue? I took the air cleaner off and watched the butterfly valve and it didn't seem to move at all after running the car for a while.

Also, I've read that you should hear the fuel pump turn on when you turn the key, but I have never heard a hum or click since I've had the car running.

Thanks

Stockli
09-27-2005, 03:41 AM
I'll give it a look. Thanks

I'm not an expert on this at all, but ...

Is your timing correct? I had similar issues with my '88 lx auto (ran fine for a while but after ~10 min on the highway, it began to sputter/stall if the engine went below about 1500 rpm); I ended up overhauling the carb and then remembered that I had advanced the timing a bit a week before. The car went back to driving smoothly after the carb was cleaned up & the timing retarded.

Just an idea.

Stockli
09-27-2005, 03:14 PM
Ok, I reset the timing this evening. It may have been a little bit off.
I was able to drive it to the gas station and back, but when I left later the problem returned.

It seems like it's just not getting fuel. It seems if I throw it in neutral and give it a few seconds, I'm able to run the engine a bit higher for a little longer. Could the fuel pump be conking out intermittently, causing the bowl in the carb to run out of fuel from time to time? I replaced both filters when I changed out the head, so they should be good. Are there any valves to check?

Thanks again

sedare
09-27-2005, 03:20 PM
EDITED

NM im dumb you got a carb not EFI