PDA

View Full Version : Oil Change

King
09-20-2005, 08:30 PM
I was just wondering how much oil these cars take and what oil type and brand you guys recommend for the tranny and motor. I jus got my car so i figured i'd do a oil change jus to be safe. Also i was woondering if you guys had any pointers for me to go about doing this i'm use to changing the oil on my bikes never a car tho... Thanks in advance and sorry if it sounds like a stupid question i did try searching and do plan on buying a manul. Oh yea i have a 89 accord lx sedan 5 speed and live in pa if that helps with the oil question.

Deadhead
09-20-2005, 08:58 PM
Your owners manual should have the information on what kind of oil to use depending on what temperatures you usually drive in.

Generally, 10w-30 is considered an "all-season" motor oil. I personally use valvoline... but i think i'm going to switch to synthetic on this next oil change.

Get an oil filter that doesn't have cardboard in it. Look at it before you buy it )

also, make sure your engine is hot when you drain the oil, that way you get most of the crud in your oil.

Our engines take something along the lines of 3.75 quarts.

King
09-20-2005, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the quick responce but how bout the tranny?

Shirako
09-21-2005, 04:42 AM
If the car has over 75k miles(which it probably does) try using the high mileage oil and filter, its what I used in my last oil change and it ran great along with the lucas oil stabilizer.
Hehe when I first bought the car I didnt know when the last oil change had been and I had put 9000 miles on he car before I got a change. I know better than that now.

Blkblurr
09-21-2005, 08:43 AM
I've owned my 89 since it was new and have always used Pennzoil 10W30 and Honda oil filters with the washer. My car now has 234,000 and burns no more oil now than when it was new. I have however, rebuilt my head and replaced the valve guide seals. That's what stopped the little oil I was burning.