PDA

View Full Version : CV joint

Ludi Mali
09-21-2005, 09:28 AM
I think I have a bad driver-side CV joint. I hear a loud clicking noise whenever I'm cornering. The weird thing is that I only hear it when i accelerate in a turn. If i just coast through it without giving any gas it won't click. Wanted to see if that was something explainable or just a weird anomaly

cardoc33
09-21-2005, 03:48 PM
It's your CV alright, boot's probably torn, spewing grease. you will need to replace the axle to get rid of the noise. Make sure to check the other side, too. If the boot's torn, but no noise, you can get away with just replacing the boot.

Ace
09-21-2005, 06:03 PM
yea dude defintally the cv joint just went through that LOL :)

89AccordLX2dr
09-21-2005, 11:29 PM
The majority of a C/Vs life is done driving in a straight line, thus the wear and tear is in the general area of the slight turns and straightaways. When they become so worn, they'll make a click sound when out of that area when turning at sharper degrees with force driving them into and out of the worn areas. When you turn sharp with load on the C/V you hear the clicking because of the force rubbing across the worn area, when coasting, the load isin't there as it just floats across that area. Eventually it'll wear so much that'll it'll stop forcing through the rough spot and just bind and snap. And it being worn, it'll wear faster and faster exponentially. It'll last if you take the sharp corners easy, but eventually one day it'll go snap. I've been driving on a bad c/v for about a year now, I just don't give er in tight corners, push the clutch in and coast them. I'll change it out someday. :|

Ludi Mali
09-22-2005, 07:21 AM
yeah it looks like the last owner put a new boot on without replacing the axle. Freakin jerk. Thanks for the info guys. I've done the half shaft before on my old camry. If it doesn't come right out its a pain the the ass. I had to fab up a bracket so that I could hammer it off.

cardoc33
09-22-2005, 07:46 AM
Don't worry, should just pop right out. Hondas are easy that way. Toyota axles are much tighter, and can be a real pain if not done right.