PDA

View Full Version : Prelude Upper Control Arms and Ball Joints Mod

harridig
09-21-2005, 09:46 AM
Hey -

I was wondering if anyone has some spare Ball joints for the Prelude Upper Control Arms handy?

If you do, could you measure the distance between the bolts that fit into the Upper Control Arms? I bought a pair off ebay that the guy swears fits 83-87 Preludes. The bolts on the ball joints are too close and don't fit.

Maybe my Upper Control Arms are from a wrong year? Does anyone have a picture of the Prelude Upper Control Arms to verify they are correct? How about part numbers for the Ball Joints?

How do the housing seals attach to the Upper Control Arm? This may be a stupid question too, but there is no room for the housing seal to "fit" next to the Upper Control Arms?

Thanks for your help!!

Derek

Strugglebucket
09-22-2005, 11:59 PM
should be about 1¼" from the center of one bolt to the other.

i'm not sure exactly what it is you're asking about the seals, but the how to explains the assembly for everything and has a diagram of the parts: http://3geez.com/showthread.php?t=37070 remember, the washers go in between the housing seal and the anchor bolt seal.

harridig
09-26-2005, 07:41 AM
Strugglebucket -

Thanks for the reply.

The UCA I purcahsed were actually not from the correct year. They guy said they were but when I checked the specs, they didn't match the 83-87 years.

So now I just need to buy another set from the correct year, and then the parts will match up!

Thanks-

Derek

CHonda
11-06-2005, 04:34 PM
should be about 1¼" from the center of one bolt to the other.
a quick question ... i've been gathering up all the parts to do the prelude upper control arm (UCA) conversion, and I just need feedback becuz something doesnt seem right to me ... I know the purpose of the conversion is b/c the UCA's are adjustable however when I place the ball joint together with the UCA, the bolts dont seem to be that distance apart (i.e., the 1¼") .... see pic below.
http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/7123/asmbly1ne2kr.jpg
I'm having a hard time visualizing exactlty how these work as adjustable if the bolts are at they maximum width apart .. i thought the ball joints are supposed to be able to adjust 'further in' or 'further out' on the actual UCA..
i added a "blue bolt" to the picture below and am wondering if this is where the bolt should really be so it can actually be adjusted on the UCA.
http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/5412/asmbly1ne25kw.jpg
All the parts are for an 1986 honda prelude and everything was purchased from honda (except the upper ball joints themselves)
any helps is appreciated .. thanx

also .. a very stupid question but .. the UCA in the picture above has an 'L' marking. is that correseponding to Left side/driver side or no?

smufguy
11-06-2005, 05:05 PM
I do not recommend using Metal washers, even tho a lot of guys do it. mine rusted and now all i hear is creaking. i am using Polyurathane Control Arm bushings from autozone. they were only like 15 bux, and it helps a lot. and the flex is where it is supposed to be.

PS: can anyone tell me where they got their brand new upper control arm bolljoint part? (just the ones with the studs and Balljoint? Not the whole black part with the shaft bolt.

Also, The shaft bolt (through bolt) is not 10mm its actually a 14mm bolt.

thegreatdane
11-07-2005, 10:24 AM
CHonda, you have the wrong ball joints, the way you made the drawing with the blue bolt is how they're supposed to be.

CHonda
11-08-2005, 08:08 AM
CHonda, you have the wrong ball joints, the way you made the drawing with the blue bolt is how they're supposed to be.

i figured that ... thanx a bunche thegreatdane .. i called the place i got them
from and inquired about the part no. ... Turns out the
one they gave me was for an 88-91 prelude and not 83-87.
Problem solved just gotta find time now to go to the store and swap them.

smufguy .. there is a local parts shop like 15 mins away from me.
It's where i usually attempt to get my parts first, and then onto honda if
im unlucky .. question for you ..

I do not recommend using Metal washers

Are you referring to the 3/8" fender washers used as spacers or something else ..?..
what exactly is the difference with the Polyurathane Control Arm bushings and where are they used exactly ..?..

FAYDOGG88
11-08-2005, 08:25 AM
Speaking Of Preludes. This Is Off Subject But My A20 Motor Just Blew On Me Last Night Racing A Integra And I Have A A18a 1.8 Prelude Motor Will This Be Enough For My 88 Accord Lx-i

bobafett
11-08-2005, 05:11 PM
it will fit, but it will be slower.

smufguy
11-08-2005, 08:30 PM
Are you referring to the 3/8" fender washers used as spacers or something else ..?..
what exactly is the difference with the Polyurathane Control Arm bushings and where are they used exactly ..?..

i used the bushings instead of the metal washers. one side has a full bushing and the other side has a half. Im gonna be swapping the control arm in a few weeks, ill take the pics when i take mine apart.

CHonda
04-17-2006, 09:26 PM
Hey guyz.. I realize I may get blasted for this but the forum is locked (thus I cannot post my question in the 'How To' thread.) and my searching has yielded no result.

Anyway .. here is the deal..

I've been collecting parts to do the prelude upper control arms. Following the How-To thread that was created I noticed several differences that I encountered.

1) When re-building the prelude UCA, the thread says I need 6 3/8" fender washers to act as spacers on opposite sides of each arm ... if I include the 3 washers on each side, there is no threading left on the bolt for the nut to go on at the end of the arm ... to solve this, I basically omitted the use of these washers ... is this good (i.e. acceptable) or bad (i.e. unsafe) ..?.

2) Also, the How-To thread did not make mention of re-using the accord upper arm through bolt collar, but I figure it's common sense that you are going to need that collar assembly in the control arm to make it more stable, etc. My plan is/was to follow that 'How To' thread to the tea, however I also want to make sure that I am doing it safely and correctly. Was there a specific reason why the accord through bolt collar wasnt mention in the 'building of the prelude UCA' .. or was it accidentally left out?

3) I could include pictures as well if needed ...

thanx for any and all help

smufguy
04-18-2006, 06:26 AM
the prelude upper control arm is shorter width wise compared to the accord. Hence the washers/spacers. Do get an Aluminum or steel washers. No zinc coated or plated washers cause they will loose their coating and then it will rust out and will seaze the atriculation of the control arm.

if any i would suggest the use of a polyurathane sway bar bushings from autozone to use it instead of the washers. Thats what i did and its a lot better and the articulation is still there.

CHonda
04-18-2006, 11:37 AM
the prelude upper control arm is shorter width wise compared to the accord. Hence the washers/spacers. Do get an Aluminum or steel washers. No zinc coated or plated washers cause they will loose their coating and then it will rust out and will seaze the atriculation of the control arm.

if any i would suggest the use of a polyurathane sway bar bushings from autozone to use it instead of the washers. Thats what i did and its a lot better and the articulation is still there.
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51617