PDA

View Full Version : Damn Cat..

kaltenacht
09-22-2005, 08:46 AM
So here is the deal. Im trying to fix my exhaust leaks and what not. Im trying to remove the old exhaust piece that connects to the cat then take the s shaped turn to the rear. the problem is the nuts are so rusted and full of crud that they look like theyve melted to the stud on the flange that connects this exhaust piece to the cat. so my question is this. are those studs welded to the flange on the cat? cause i was wanting to just cut the damn nuts off with a dremal tool, stud and all. but i didnt want them to the welded to the cat.. can ne one help? :mad: :mad: :mad: :chainsaw: :rant: jesus i need a :beer:

Blkblurr
09-22-2005, 09:03 AM
They are pressed on. The original studs have grooves in them that match the shape of the holes in the flange on the cat. You could knock them out but I bet it's going to be difficult unless you take the cat out alltogether. I replaced my cat with an aftermarket one and used stainless bolts and nuts from Autozone. I cut the old ones off with a rotozip and a metal cutting wheel.

Vinny
09-22-2005, 09:04 AM
they arent welded they are just pressed in. you can order new ones from honda part numbers are 18176-P08-003 or 18176-PA6-000 for the bolt and 90212-671-005 for the nuts. Getting the old ones out of the cat wont be easier or fun but it can be done.

kaltenacht
09-22-2005, 09:25 AM
damnit, i was afraid of that... i guess ill just cut the nuts off to remove the old exhaust piece and work on getting the rest of the studs out... :thumbdn:

But thanks for the quick response

kaltenacht
09-22-2005, 10:27 AM
so i cut off all nuts that connect the flanges together on the cat and exhaust piece. beat the hell out of the old piece with a hammer, and it still wont budge. I've looked at it and checked my haynes manual for an exploded view of the exhaust system to see if ne thing else it holding it together. but nothing is. any ideas neone?

Blkblurr
09-23-2005, 08:34 AM
Are you hiitting the flanges trying to get them separated? You may have to try driving a metal chisil between the flanges. Sounds like everything is rusted together.

kaltenacht
09-25-2005, 01:25 PM
:rockon: well me and my brother finally got it done. we had to cut the studs off the cat competely and pull it off. then we knocked them out with a punch and hammer. after we hung everything up we used stainless steel bolts and nuts from my work. Looks and sounds pretty good...