PDA

View Full Version : piggy back fuel controler

Ace
09-23-2005, 06:11 PM
Hey Whats Up

Starting to plan out my build soon and am trying to concentrate on what I am going to do for engine management I want to do this right so I want to get engine managment down pack and can anyone give me a good link on learning and trying to understand all aspects of a piggy back fuel system how it works what I need etc. and any other good info would be appreciated

A20A1
09-23-2005, 06:19 PM
N/A or TURBO?

There is not much use in piggybacking with the stock (OBD-0) ECU and Distributor (Vacuum Advance).
At least convert to OBD-1 ECU and Distributor (Electronic Advance)

Or go stand alone with a Crank Triggered DIS system.

Ace
09-23-2005, 06:43 PM
Turbo I'm just real stuck on what Are my options for engine managment I now others have turbod and i am just trying to gather some options

bobafett
09-23-2005, 07:13 PM
SAFC's are compatible., and helpful. we have a few members using those.

however if you really want control, there is a GREAT thread i nthe projects section.

i am personally going for a standalone, and im eitehr going to go with a civic si PM6 ecu, and run turbo edit, and find an obd0 electronic dizzy, or more likekly, use a p75 ecu from a non vtec integra, and use an f22 accord dizzy, and tune it with one of the SEVERAL odb1 tuning packages.

Ace
09-23-2005, 07:25 PM
So could I use a safc with my stock ecu and be o.k dont mind the questions guy i really want to sort all this out

bobafett
09-23-2005, 08:01 PM
yeah you could do that. although do realize its not the best control. but with an SAFC you can control larger injectors, like dsm 450's., and then you can get like a msd btm to pull timing. ;-) its sort of a hacked togehter management, but it will hold your shit together for a few pounds of boost anyway.

what are your general goals for the turbo setup? that can detirmine what type of engine management is the best solution

Ace
09-23-2005, 08:40 PM
Really wanna make 200 hp and id be happy probally more once i reach that point but for riight now that is what i am looking for Still very unsure on the specifics of my turbo built up pretty much have my emgine blueprinted with where I am going. Now I am starting to look into pricing and blueprinting my turbo build

mykwikcoupe
09-23-2005, 09:22 PM
Ive got a safc and a vortech fmu. put those on a t3 42/48 and youll pull that 200 you want. It realiable and a very easy hook up. Notr bad at all. It works well the problem over the others with the safc is you tune in 500 rpm increments rather than 200 rpm increments but its enough for that setup easy. Get a BTM or 6a(l). youll be set and good to go. Mike

adams86lxi
09-23-2005, 11:12 PM
Ive got a safc and a vortech fmu. put those on a t3 42/48 and youll pull that 200 you want. It realiable and a very easy hook up. Notr bad at all. It works well the problem over the others with the safc is you tune in 500 rpm increments rather than 200 rpm increments but its enough for that setup easy. Get a BTM or 6a(l). youll be set and good to go. Mike

You know there is no point to having that fmu when your using the safc right? Everyone ditches theres when they get bigger injectors and a safc. Who needs to increase the fuel pressure when you can just adjust the amount of fuel that goes into the engine with the safc.

Ace
09-24-2005, 11:11 AM
does anyone have any suggestions on any systems to use????

A20A1
09-24-2005, 12:18 PM
Here is a list of engine management.
http://www.3geez.com/showpost.php?p=440728&postcount=2

Ace
09-24-2005, 01:01 PM
http://www.apexi-usa.com/product_electronics_detail.asp?id=202&pageNum=1

This is what i am looking into?? anyone use any specific ones they had luck with???

Thanks for the page a20 helps me to broaden my options

mykwikcoupe
09-25-2005, 09:38 AM
yeah i know at the time I bought it it was to make it so i could run a higher flue pressure and not have to go witha 255 pump or any upgrade in line presure. Anyway if anyone wants them there for sael and will be going soon. Hopefully anyway

Justin86
09-25-2005, 09:46 AM
I'd go with the OBD-1 swap. a good running engine that can make the max power is a lot more then just adding fuel.

bobafett
09-25-2005, 10:17 AM
i agree with justin. i am looking at a total cost of 745 not including getting the 4g dizzy to fit the a20 head. although i will have a bracket that i can give to justin and he can "mass produce"...

that $745 gets you mostly what you need. but you will also need an obd0 accord > obd1 conversion harness, these are already made by jkobd.com has has one ready, also boomslang has one as well. but these are for the 88-89. i guess if i give them pinouts for the 86-87 they could do it though.

so if you add $100 for a harness, you are looking at 845 total. and then getting it mounted. which some people will tackle themselves.

consider the alternative of and SAFC, BTM, and all the other BS you would have to buy, and this already comes with a wideband o2 sensor. ;-) so basically its the same price, and you get a fully tunable ecu, with stuff like cold start fuel settings, electronic idle control, 2 step launches, control fuel cut vs spark cut, make your check engine light become a shift light, switch from 2 wire to 4 wire o2 sensors, disable o2 sensorrs, u can do basically everything, makeing it a standalone. :-)

www.xenocron.com

w00tw00t111
09-25-2005, 08:59 PM
Hey bobafett have you looked into Uberdata? That's what I was planning on using. I know that chrome is used but, I don't know if there is that great of a difference. I think the biggest deal at least for me is after getting everything mounted finding a base map that will let me at least drive it to the dyno to get it tuned. Since most "normal" tuner cars such as the civic, integra, and the like have base maps readily available. Also, remember Ace most people stop raising the boost pressure at 6psi w/ the Apex'i SAFC and MSD BTM. So depending on what size turbo you'll be using and whether or not you're dead set on that 200 horsepower mark will determine the best management.

bobafett
09-26-2005, 08:41 AM
i will probably end up going with uberdata, though i havent looked over my options too closely at this point.

as for a basemap, daryl at openloop ran his accord with a 4g dizzy and stock p75 ecu. i will probably start with a p75 basemap, make it real real rich, and then head to the dyno. ;-)