PDA

View Full Version : clay bar

POS carb
08-14-2002, 10:29 AM
absolutely one of the best things you can do for your paint is to use a clay bar, you can feel the difference by running your hand over the paint before and after, it gets out EVERYTHING. try it out it isn't hard.

Site
08-14-2002, 11:17 AM
Get a new keyboard, man. You want me to send you one? There's a bunch laying around the office here.

POS carb
08-14-2002, 03:35 PM
lol, actually i just got one, it's sitting on the table next to me now :werd: :chainsaw:

YK86
08-14-2002, 04:13 PM
I did my brother's 96 Accord which has a weird rough surface. After the clay bar, it was very shiny and ultra smooth.

88WhiteLX-i
08-14-2002, 04:31 PM
I gotta try that stuff, does it matter if I just waxed my car about 2-4 weeks ago????

Vanilla Sky
08-14-2002, 06:01 PM
no, but id does take it down to the bare finish, so you gotta wax again... i like meguiar's or mother's products, and in my opinion are the best...

did make a huge difference in my mom's silver 626, and revived the faded black paint on my dads 10 year old pickup

worth the couple hours you put into it

Derick

Red88Hatch
08-15-2002, 01:02 AM
How much are these clay bars? and where can i pick one up?

87AccordsterLx
08-15-2002, 08:26 PM
I got mine from pepboys for $20 I believe... it's worth it.... I didnt seem to find that detailing spray that comes with it to work very well but I think it was too hot out that day.... I think they sell the mothers name brand in a pack with wax included... thats the one I picked up.....

POS carb
08-15-2002, 11:12 PM
i got the mother's pack with the spray, clay, and wax for under $15, it took the whole bottle though.

taking care of your car's paint means you pay attention to all the details like leaving the lower fender areas for last so you don't get as much sand in the mitt/soap. Also i wouldn't use anything other than a soft hand mitt on the paint unless you like swirls.
1. rinse off as much sand and dirt with a hose
2. soap it up in a cool spot (I wait till the afternoon when it's cool and the house blocks the sun) and rinse it off
3. use a clay bar to get everything the soap couldn't
4. use a polish (awesome on darker cars!!)
5. wax it to seal the paint.

the most important thing to remember is that dirt is your enemy, it ruins the paint whenever any pressure and /or movement is applied it is like sandpaper. try and keep your sponges/towels/washing water as clean as possible.