PDA

View Full Version : stupid oil leaks help Im sinking

mykwikcoupe
09-25-2005, 03:58 PM
Yep my driveway looks like the exxon valdez just rolled on by. It been about 4 years since Ive been thinking about trying to fix it here and there. Well I did the front main with the water pump amd timing belt. No luck on the leak so today i did the dizzy and camshaft seals. No luck. However the dizzy seal was square and very brittle. The camshaft seal looked ok but looose. I started removing the crank pulley. a 1/2 in drive extensiopn a few cuss words and 1 hour of my liofe and it was off. So i guess the oil pump will be be relace tomorrow. whats the deal witht he 3 seals though. isnt it just 1 seqal? Mike

lostforawhile
09-26-2005, 03:18 PM
have you tried your oil pan seal yet? also the one between the oil filter housing and the block,it's easy but will leak oil everywhere. don\'t forget the pcv hose on the back of the oil pan, it will leak oil everywhere. and of course the valve cover seal,the mother of all three g leaks. my driveway looked like that for a while,i replaced every seal i could get off,now i have an occasional drip from the oil pan plug,nothing else.

3gn86lxi
09-26-2005, 03:58 PM
I would try that o-ring on the filter plate. Mine leaked like a s.o.b. Pain in the ass to replace too. :)

lostforawhile
09-27-2005, 02:28 AM
thats the one i was refering too

nswst8
09-27-2005, 03:22 AM
The mysterious oil leak from our rides is the Oil Filter base seal. The oil pressure sending unit threads into the top which you must remove to get to the top 2 bolts of the base.

lostforawhile
09-27-2005, 12:08 PM
that gasket has to come from the dealer,don't try using silicone or anything,it's under high pressure. it doesn't cost very much i would buy an extra and put it up somewhere.

mykwikcoupe
12-29-2005, 11:42 PM
yep so the oil filter base gasket was hopefully the final leak. got it in a few days ago. Cars nice and quit again since i fixed the muffler holes and since theres no more leaking now I need to get the inch of oil out of my concrete.

I thought the oil filter base gasket was pretty easy. 1 hour taking my time and no busted knuckles. The oil pump sucked because f the timing issues obviously. the cam and dizzy seals are cake if you marked everything before disassembly. I think the wifeys 260k just might go another 140k now.

XBoom135
12-29-2005, 11:58 PM
Just got done replacing the gasket on the filter unit and it stopped my massive oil leak. However, a 5300 rpm test revealed the valve cover gasket is leaking considerably. Oh well, tomorrow I guess! Can't complain about this engine other than that though. Bulletproof!

mykwikcoupe
12-30-2005, 12:13 AM
yeah i have a 92% failure rating on the valve cover gasket. I found the best way to get it to seat properly is to load the inner valve cover with black rtv. press the rubber seal in but not tight. Put a small 1/8 inch bead around the entire head to valve cover mating surface. Put the valve cover on but only hand tighten the bolt evenly so its just kinda on. Wait about 30 minuts or until the rtv is skinning and tacky. then tighten it down to the proper torque. It workes everytime but had to find this out the hard way. My ersonal thought is the valve cover gets warped by the top mount bolts and losses it ability to hold constant pressure on the outside edge causeing leakage over time.

TheWatcher
12-30-2005, 04:05 AM
Well thanks everyone for the 411.

Now I might fix my small oil leak, since now I know where to look. :thumbup:

Peace.

lostforawhile
12-30-2005, 01:24 PM
most of the time you just need silicone on the four corners at the end,even the service manual says this. you can get honda gaset sealer at the dealer, it was made for this situation, i've heard wonders about it. some wierd kind of rtv they developed to stop the leaks,works best with a factory gasket.

Cant Stop
01-03-2006, 07:48 PM
finally a clue as to the big puddles how bout the oil seal between the trans and motor is that one a common failure too?

nswst8
01-04-2006, 05:05 AM
Giving the age of the 3rd gen, Yes this is a common leak spot. When replaced with a new GENUINE HONDA SEAL it is not a common leak.

3rdCoast
01-04-2006, 10:52 AM
i got a bitch of a leak. it leaks and burns on the hot engine so i get smoke from under the hood. I think its leaking from the head gasket on the 4th cylinder(passenger side). and my valve cover a lil bit too. i have to put a quart in about every week maybe.........sux:sad2:

lostforawhile
01-04-2006, 12:14 PM
I think thats the O ring on your distributor,it will look just like its coming from the head gasket on that side, because it runs down the side of the head and down the corner,the o ring will get old and brittle and will crack sometimes in half. it's an easy fix you get a new one from the dealer pull the distributor out and replace it. once you pull it out you'll see what i mean.

3rdCoast
01-04-2006, 01:48 PM
thanx i'll look into it. the reason im suspecting the head gasket is cuz the mech. said i have low compression in the 4th cylinder and the guy i got the car from replaced the head gasket and everything else he has fixed himself on the car has had some kind of problem. It does look like the oil is leaking out of the side where the halves of the engine come together.........

Cant Stop
01-04-2006, 02:00 PM
think i will get another motor "to play with"
same as one i got and rebuild it but built for boost in case i want to tubo it or nos it!