PDA

View Full Version : K&N for Carb

AccordDX86
09-25-2005, 04:15 PM
Hey guys. Now, would a K&N help my car at all? From what I've read, air filters only help fuel injected cars, because with a better air flow, the car will compromise for it and give it more fuel, but a carb wont do this. Is this accurate? Will there be any difference? Even the slightest? Thanks.

-Brett

markpimp
09-25-2005, 04:17 PM
Hey guys. Now, would a K&N help my car at all? From what I've read, air filters only help fuel injected cars, because with a better air flow, the car will compromise for it and give it more fuel, but a carb wont do this. Is this accurate? Will there be any difference? Even the slightest? Thanks.

-Brett
yes it will cause i try it

AccordDX86
09-25-2005, 04:32 PM
yes it will cause i try it

Well, is your car carbed?

A20A1
09-25-2005, 04:39 PM
Carbs will automaticly adjust the fuel when more air flow is added.

There is a point where you unpgrade the engine and the carb either becomes resctirctive to the air or the fuel restrictions (Jets) don't flow enough to keep up with the new demand.

Honestly though just adding a filter will not require you to rejet the carb.

So definately get the filter.

Some other things to note, if you live in a cool climates, flipping the carb lid can increase air flow to the filter without too much performance loss for heat.

If you live in really warm to hot climates the benifits of more flow by flipping the lid may not be as good cause the air is so hot inside the engine bay.

Very cold climates don't flip the lid cause they need to use the pre-heater system on the intake box.

AccordDX86
09-25-2005, 04:47 PM
Thanks. Well, I live in upstate New York, so the winters are pretty harsh. Plus, it seems like my car has a problem in the cold. Last night, I had to start my car, it started fine, but would not idle at all, it ran fine, but couldnt stay running with no gas. So, I dont think I'll flip the lid because of that problem. But, my brother ordered the filter for my birthday, which is on tuesday, and im glad to know the filter will help. Thanks.

-Brett

A20A1
09-25-2005, 04:48 PM
Cut Air Box Pics

I cut the bottom and the top to meet the outer edge of the filter... some however just cut the top or the bottom of the box.
http://www.3geez.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3059
http://www.3geez.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2244&stc=1
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/12/web/396000-396999/396598_13_full.jpg

AccordDX86
09-25-2005, 06:20 PM
I like the cut air box. In fact, I think I'll try that tomorrow. But, what would I do with the plastic tube for the air that runs from the fender to the box? I only ask because I dont see it there. I'd imagine I cut just leave it there and it wouldnt make much of a difference. Also, what is the little air filter that is on the motor? Thanks.

-Brett

mkymonkey
09-25-2005, 06:46 PM
the filter is put in place of the breather hose for the head. in my opinion this way is a lot better because think about it, it has its own filter. lol. but you dont have to do it, its either mostly for show or because you really think that it will help your performance.... :P

w00tw00t111
09-25-2005, 08:41 PM
If you cut your box you don't need that plastic tube going to the inside of your bumper. I mean think about you're cutting open the air box so that you have air flowing directly into the filter which then goes to the carb.

A20: Hey I didn't realize that you now had 3 3geez. Did you aquire some more or have you always had that many? That's pretty neat none the less. :)

labeledsk8r
12-04-2005, 08:54 PM
ok ima jump in on this becuse im trying to either cut my air box or find a replacement that is pre-cut (think i found an edelbrock oval air box that would fit but not positive) but either way arnt there vacum lines going threw the origianl air pasage, do you just plug them off? or leave them open or what? sorry for cutting in on this one

w00tw00t111
12-05-2005, 04:46 AM
I know that there is one vacuum line that goes directly to the valve cover.*not needed* And I believe there is one more but, I'm not sure what exactly it goes to.

A20A1
12-06-2005, 10:34 AM
There is a PCV filter hose... you'll need to add on a breather filter for the valve cover keep the oil clean.

The other vacuum line on the intake part, is for the hot air door diaphragm... you wont need that any more... and you also wont need the air bleeds associated with it.

shepherd79
12-06-2005, 05:28 PM
when i had carbed accord, that was the frist mod i did. if you just going to swap with old filter, you may not see any diff. I saw diff after i removed all the vacuum lines and adjusted the carb a little.

labeledsk8r
12-06-2005, 08:37 PM
yeah i had allready done my breather filter but just bluged it off on the air box not knowing if should be pluged, and the lines on the intake tubeing was the main worry, also do the air box's need to just be custom trimed down or can i buy an aftermarket airbox that will work, and if i need to cut my normal one whats the easyest way to do it to make it look good, thanks in advance