PDA

View Full Version : Tb

hondaluvva
09-26-2005, 03:57 AM
Guys,

What's the best way to clean out my Throtle Body?

I opened it up where the big air hose goes in to the side of it to see if it was dirty.. I get a bloody annoying Putting sound in my exhaust... like a carb does when a carb is dirty...

Inside my TB is a whole lotta black shit, I sprayed the living crap out of it with carb cleaner thru the hose hole, but I couldn't get it all. There's still a lot of gunk in there. We're talkin over 150,000 miles since this thing has been opened....

Is there an easy way to clean the filty little sucker, or am I going to have to pull the old bitch apart again? :sad2:

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

racerx
09-26-2005, 06:53 AM
best way to clean it would be to pull the whole intake manifold off, and separate every part of the manifold itself.

get an intake manifold gasket set from the parts store too. never use old gaskets.

if there's a ton of crap just in the TB, you can count on there being as much crap everywhere else in the manifold.

as far as your exhaust goes, do you have a stock or aftermarket system? i hear most aftermarket systems give off that popping sound more... could be the ignition not lighting all the way every time...

hondaluvva
09-26-2005, 02:04 PM
Thanks, thought that's what i'd have to do...

And it's stock exhaust.. Every part of my 18 year old girl is still the original...

Except for my distributor.. had to change it because of my vacuum advance... other than that it's still all the original Jap crap, and it's going strong.

shepherd79
09-26-2005, 03:54 PM
if you are getting put put from exhaust, it is your ignition. it has nothing to do with intake.
sounds like your distributor may be needs to be replaced. check it according to the shop manual.

racerx
09-26-2005, 08:13 PM
yeah. people are finding that the ignitor in the dizzy is faulty, so they're converting to an MSD 6A ignitor. seems to clear the problem right up. i wonder if it makes a noticable power difference...

oh, and any exhaust leak could be a source of a popping noise

hondaluvva
09-27-2005, 04:12 AM
Don't think it's ignition... I replaced the distributor and it makes exactly the same noise it did with the original one.

Itsounds like it needs to be tuned, but it has been several time with nothing stopping it.

Could timing do it? I don't know the last time my timing was checked because it's electronic, but it shocked me I didn't need to get timing done when I switched distributors. I Just plugged it in, and it worked, I didn't need to do anything else.

????

kaltenacht
09-27-2005, 06:53 AM
Does it only make the sound at idle speed? If it clears up once it reaches a higher rpm then it might be your timing. check to see if it has jumped timing. that is what mine was doing.

racerx
09-27-2005, 08:52 AM
did you replace the entire dizzy? ($200 or so) or did you do the dizzy cap and rotor?

the ignitor sits on the actual distributor, and is unaffected by replacing the cap and rotor...

hondaluvva
09-27-2005, 02:20 PM
Replaced the entire distributor... unbolted old one from side of motor and put new one in exact same place,

and yes it makes the noise at higher rpm too... not just idle.

i think it's timing

racerx
09-27-2005, 02:34 PM
well, i'd bet you had a leak in your exhaust somewhere.

and normally you can get these popping sounds from exhausts that have unequal lengths in the primaries. there's also the possibility that it's coming from the leak that may exist in your exhaust. otherwise, the new ignitor could be just as bad as the old.

where'd you get it? what brand?

hondaluvva
09-27-2005, 03:18 PM
I just want to clarify that it's not really a popping sound... it's more of a putt putt sound.

When it's idling and i rev it hard from zero to 5000rpm it sorta delays and makes an almost backfiring sound when i first hit the gas... it does the same thing when driving too, it just doesn't seem like it is as responsive as it should be, and I know it definately shouldn't sound like that.

It is like it is not tuned, but I know it is... therefore that's why I think it's my timing. I know its not fuel, and not vacuum any more..

Dunno.

racerx
09-28-2005, 06:36 AM
you replaced all your vacuum lines too then?

have you replaced any spark plugs, wires, or coil? any of those things could be hindering spark. check your ignition timing anyway, but i don't think it would hurt your performance that much...

this sounds like it could also be a compression loss. you might just have to buy a set of pistons, rings, and bearings. what's your compression at?