PDA

View Full Version : flywheel/drive plate bolts, are they the same?

newaccorddriver
09-26-2005, 06:38 PM
they have different part numbers, but arent they used for the same thing? can i use the driveplate ones for a flywheel?

Strugglebucket
09-26-2005, 08:01 PM
nope. flywheel ones are longer.

newaccorddriver
09-26-2005, 08:13 PM
nope. flywheel ones are longer.

are they? the weird thing is, when i took off the drive plate there was a small plate there that kinda goes between the drive plate and the bolt. that plate kinda 'decreases' the length of the threads that goes into the crankshaft... odd, can i still use the drive plate bolts at flywheel bolts?

Strugglebucket
09-26-2005, 10:26 PM
i know the plate your talking about and i think it's there to help evenly distribute the torque from the bolts and make it less likely to bend.

and no, i wouldn't use the bolts from the driveplate. the correct ones aren't hard or expensive to get a hold of. you reallllly won't be happy if your flywheel bolts break or come loose.

newaccorddriver
09-27-2005, 04:30 PM
i know the plate your talking about and i think it's there to help evenly distribute the torque from the bolts and make it less likely to bend.

and no, i wouldn't use the bolts from the driveplate. the correct ones aren't hard or expensive to get a hold of. you reallllly won't be happy if your flywheel bolts break or come loose.

im just curious if they would work or not, its a temporary thing cause right now the dealership im going to says their on a backorder or something and my auto ones would be fine. i doubt they would come loose cause i would be torquing them down, but i guess the extra threads help too... and the how-to that was on here never said anything about it. just curious, if somebody whos done a 5 speed swap can tell me if i can use them or not, that would be nice.(if not ill probably get some new ones when i can...)

EDIT: how much longer are the bolts compared to the ones for the driveplate?

phrenology
09-30-2005, 11:42 AM
im just curious if they would work or not, its a temporary thing cause right now the dealership im going to says their on a backorder or something and my auto ones would be fine. i doubt they would come loose cause i would be torquing them down, but i guess the extra threads help too... and the how-to that was on here never said anything about it. just curious, if somebody whos done a 5 speed swap can tell me if i can use them or not, that would be nice.(if not ill probably get some new ones when i can...)

EDIT: how much longer are the bolts compared to the ones for the driveplate?

Nope...use the proper bolts here I posted the part number, price and torque specs: Flywheel bolts (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=41925)

POS carb
09-30-2005, 12:51 PM
the bolts are different... a/t may be used as a backup in the worst case scenareo however I don't think they'd catch much of the crank and if they do fail they can strip the threads on the crank. The bolts are also stamped to indicate a/t or m/t. Also, it's a huge pain in the ass to remove the tranny, why would you do that to swap bolts instead of wait 3 days for the real bolts?
Hell I can probably find you a set of used ones here in the junkyard

carotman
09-30-2005, 01:31 PM
just go to the junkyard and buy those bolts if the dealer doesn'T have the m in stock.

The How-to doesn'T mention it because it is an assumed thing I guess.

newaccorddriver
09-30-2005, 06:09 PM
bought 8 bolts, total came to about $35CDN, works out to be about $4.50 or so per bolt, pretty good cause they got them in 1 days notice. although the torque rod bolt/washer are still in transit(maybe a month to deliver?), and the bracket used to hold the shifter assembly in place was unavailable... junkyard time cause im in a rush to get this tihng on the road