PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Setup Questions

halxi
09-26-2005, 08:54 PM
Well im sure some of these have been answered, some have not, i also want everyones opinion on these things.

For the most part, people prefer the DC header over the PaceSetter, but finding a DC is rather complicated.

If i run a gutted cat, then a straight pipe back to some sort of muffler will i need to worry about damaging anything? Ive heard that it could warp my exhaust valves but i thought that was kind of bogus. By straight pipe, i mean straight, not following the stock bends, nothing, point A (the cat) to point B (the muffler) as fast as possible. Ive also been told this could be rather loud (which is a no brainer, but meh), so would a res be capable of cutting down the noise significantly?

I know everyone has different preferences on what brand of muffler/resinators to buy, but im going to see whats favored most.
Ive driven/been in racerx's prelude and he has a no-name res/borla muffler with a gutted cat and it sounds really nice and its what im thinking of following, but i want to look into other options. Magnaflow? Flowmaster? DC universal mufflers? Im not big on the whole N1 style mufflers, with a huge body that hangs down really low so that eliminates that, i could deal with one, as long as it didnt have that real riced out fart noise.

Let me know what you think! Willing to hear new ideas

Busted_Blue
09-26-2005, 09:24 PM
resonators can cut down on the raspyness of the pipes but in terms of volume, it still will be loud as a thousand bees.

Straight pipes have no effect on the car that I know of. As far as running with a gutted cat, just get a test pipe =P

it definitely will make the lxi sound mean as hell. I've ran open header before and it definitely sounds nice, just a tad too loud for cops.

A20A1
09-26-2005, 09:28 PM
Why would it warp your exhaust valve... maybe if you ran incredably lean it would, but that would mean something is wrong with your Fuel or ECU system... even then the ECU would go into a LIMP MODE.

Magnaflow makes good mufflers and resonators.

Mufflers are better at cutting down noise then resonators are, but long resonators with more packing should offer decent noise reduction.

As for large N1 style mufflers that hang down... that depends on who installs it and the owner. Some people like the inlet for the muffler down low so that the body of the muffler angles up.

I recently installed a "Buddy Club - Pro Spec III - Universal" muffler for a customer and it sounder really deep with stock piping.

The resonator you add should be able to cut down on the fart noise, the rest depends on quality of the muffler.

I found the exhaust sounds nicer when the muffler and res are closer to the header.

A20A1
09-26-2005, 09:36 PM
resonators can cut down on the raspyness of the pipes but in terms of volume, it still will be loud as a thousand bees.

Straight pipes have no effect on the car that I know of. As far as running with a gutted cat, just get a test pipe =P

it definitely will make the lxi sound mean as hell. I've ran open header before and it definitely sounds nice, just a tad too loud for cops.

Yeah open header is crazy.

I ihad to put on a muffler though, Now I sound like a mean Toyota truck... or a tricked out VW Beetle... but it's a 2" VW muffler so I guess thats why. It's not ricey at all... it has a very nostalgic roadster sound. Almost like a V-8 crossed with a Harley.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/319000-319999/319268_73.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/319000-319999/319268_80.jpg

halxi
09-26-2005, 09:37 PM
Im definatly not out to be an annoying ricer dude with loud ass exhaust, i want a throaty tone thats semi-loud when you get on it and hit higher rpms, but not too far over stock on the daily drive.

My guess would be to achieve this, i dont want a straight pipe lol.

Also, what would be a better diameter? Ive heard mixed opinions, 2.25" or 2.5"?

And will i need a test pipe with an o2 sensor insert? I dont think i do, but i could be mistaking... better safe then sorry

Busted_Blue
09-26-2005, 09:41 PM
Im definatly not out to be an annoying ricer dude with loud ass exhaust, i want a throaty tone thats semi-loud when you get on it and hit higher rpms, but not too far over stock on the daily drive.

My guess would be to achieve this, i dont want a straight pipe lol.

just follow my exhaust setup, its semi-loud but still deep in tone. I love it to death. =D

A20A1
09-26-2005, 09:48 PM
An interesting post...
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=429959

though it doesn't list noise levels at idle and at throttle.

http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0212tur_exhaust/index.html

thats another one.

Though turbo exhaust systems are more about flow.

I have this magazine article in my lap.

http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0209tur_exhaust/

Sweetness... there is audio along with each dyno chart.

halxi
09-26-2005, 10:16 PM
Yea, im probably going to end up buying just the header from an online store and hit up the local shop to do all the purchasing/welding/installing of a res/muffler/test pipe

superaccord
09-26-2005, 10:19 PM
I would go with 2.25" pipe.That seems to be the popular choice. Get a cat off ebay(pretty much a resonator/test pipe). I have an N1 style muffler.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/595000-595999/595481_10_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/595000-595999/595481_12.jpg

halxi
09-26-2005, 10:20 PM
When im over for your party this weekend, you should pull your damn silencer out and let me hear it, if it sounds alright i might go that route.

Pro_Mod_Accord
09-27-2005, 07:33 AM
Why would it warp your exhaust valve... maybe if you ran incredably lean it would, but that would mean something is wrong with your Fuel or ECU system... even then the ECU would go into a LIMP MODE.

Magnaflow makes good mufflers and resonators.

Mufflers are better at cutting down noise then resonators are, but long resonators with more packing should offer decent noise reduction.

As for large N1 style mufflers that hang down... that depends on who installs it and the owner. Some people like the inlet for the muffler down low so that the body of the muffler angles up.

I recently installed a "Buddy Club - Pro Spec III - Universal" muffler for a customer and it sounder really deep with stock piping.

The resonator you add should be able to cut down on the fart noise, the rest depends on quality of the muffler.

I found the exhaust sounds nicer when the muffler and res are closer to the header.

A Resonator Does NOT have any packing inside. If it did it would be a type of muffler/glass pack. A true resonator is hollow inside and the sound waves bounce off the sides and cross each other to cancel out the sound waves, which helps to reduce the noise in the exhaust.

If you tap a resonator, youi will hear a clear ping sound. Anything with packing inside will be a flat dull sound, like a glass pack.

A20A1
09-27-2005, 08:57 AM
Hrm, sorry about that I thought the muffler/res was the same construction as the true resonator.
Thanks.

superaccord
09-27-2005, 01:20 PM
Nate. I'll be glad to take out my silencer for you... :thumbup: It's really freakin loud though. Ah. I'm excited now lol. It's gonna be a fun time...lol. I dont know wtf I'm talking about. It's pretty sweet though.

Pro_Mod_Accord
09-27-2005, 02:37 PM
Hrm, sorry about that I thought the muffler/res was the same construction as the true resonator.
Thanks.

No Prob,,,I was actually shocked to see that ..You definetly know your shit...thanks for the help in here....Done a lot of research in here and you're a great help.....My 88 Accord Completely custom body fabrication is finally done and in the shop being prep'd for some serious Kandy tri-coat Paint ...when it's finish and I get a DiGi-Cam everyone will see my creation....Gonna be a Killer set-up.

w00tw00t111
09-27-2005, 07:27 PM
Yeah open header is crazy.

I ihad to put on a muffler though, Now I sound like a mean Toyota truck... or a tricked out VW Beetle... but it's a 2" VW muffler so I guess thats why. It's not ricey at all... it has a very nostalgic roadster sound. Almost like a V-8 crossed with a Harley.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/319000-319999/319268_73.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/319000-319999/319268_80.jpg
HOLY Macral!!!! What header is that!!!?? I think I need a new pair of pants :(
But seriously with those insanely long runners and the 4-1 style I bet it has really good low end torque.

A20A1
09-27-2005, 09:26 PM
It may not be accurate but I tried to build the one in the pic above for somewhere between 4,000 and 7,500 rpm. Primary diameter affects the length to a degree, and so does displacement, so you can't entirely compare it to V8 lengths, or those from 1.6, 1.8 liter 4cylinders. The primary diameters are 1.625" so the 1.75" choke really isn't smaller then the pipes but it is small when you add in the other cylinders.

I still want to make one nearly twice as long, to bring the rpm range down further. Then stick with 2" exhaust to hopefully keep the torque. However at the collector I was going to add a cone/venturi based on Burns Stainless Specs to choke the exhaust to 1.75" briefly, I'm thinking it has more benifits with and open header but I'd like to try it out on a full exhaust. :)

It really it a peaky header though... as is expected. You get a big boost at a certain narrow rpm range.

Honestly though 4 cylinders have the easiest time making tri-y (4-2-1) and that is benificial in giving power over a broad rpm range, which is usually more desireable, unless you plan to rev in a narrow range all day long, like in circle track racing.

Also you should look at dyno graphs posted by manufactures carefuly, they usually only list peak HP and TQ... some can claim big gains over stock but if it's in a narrow range or torque suffers too much it may be better to buy a different header.

bradSA138
10-22-2005, 11:17 AM
I am running narly stock, everyone's input-- WOW -- you guys are a lot of help BTW is the header for sale? If so how much? I am sitting by the alamo bored of the ricers and I wanna MOVE quickly but not so loudly that the cops around here don't go postal:thumbdn: because here in San Antonio the penalty for racing (or even looking like a racer) is pretty severe; 2000 bucks, loss of license, and jail time. very lame. Sorry to digress, I require speed to perform my job to the fullest-- Pizza delivery guy-- and the drivers around here drive like morons, I need something to bring out the low end to mid-range torque IF possible within 2500 to 5500 RPM. any research would be appreciated, I'll be doing some myself.

bobafett
11-02-2005, 03:46 PM
for lowend power i would stick with 2"-2.25"

i think stock is in the neighborhood of 1.75", so you might notice a slight improvement over stock. the first thing i would get is an intake though, cheap and easy to install, and seems to give a little grunt. if your car is EFI, then a 92-95 civic short ram, or 94-97 accord CAI will do just fine.

halxi
11-02-2005, 05:44 PM
i have the CAI

and my exhaust is going in tomorrow, final setup:

pace setter header
test pipe
resonator
borla pro xs muffler
all in 2.25" mandrel pipe

A20A1
11-02-2005, 09:02 PM
Sounds good. :)