PDA

View Full Version : tore apart my b20 tranny!!

adams86lxi
09-27-2005, 04:11 PM
Well i tore my tranny apart about a week or so ago. And dissasembled only the main shaft stack and actually didnt really see anything visible that the syncros were screwed up?? I havent tore apart the countershaft yet but i only see 3 sets of syncros total. Does anyone know which set of syncros has the syncro that would be bad since my third gear was screwed up??? I would replace all of them but i cant find a transmission shop that will help me figure out if i can find a usdm match for them and the only place i know of to get them directly from honda in japan wants like 300$ for the 3 sets!!!

carotman
09-27-2005, 04:18 PM
Hmmm, the trannies are the only mechanical part that I'm a total newbie. Transmissions are a magical box hehe.

I planned to rebuild a spare B20A tranny with the new bearings I have here but this may take a while and you need your car faster than I could help.

Have you checked the part numbers and diagrams I posted in the FAQ? If you compare the diagrams with an A20A tranny, you might find which one is the 3rd gear.

adams86lxi
09-27-2005, 06:35 PM
Hmmm, the trannies are the only mechanical part that I'm a total newbie. Transmissions are a magical box hehe.

I planned to rebuild a spare B20A tranny with the new bearings I have here but this may take a while and you need your car faster than I could help.

Have you checked the part numbers and diagrams I posted in the FAQ? If you compare the diagrams with an A20A tranny, you might find which one is the 3rd gear.

hmm, i already got the part numbers for the 3 sycncros that the transmission has from your diagrams:

Mainshaft:
> 23623-pg1-770 JPY 12700
> 23626-pg1-771 JPY 9050

countershaft
> 23521-pg1-325 JPY 10200

BTW: those are the prices in yen for the parts before shipping from the only place i know i can find them from.

Hey carotman where is the diagram for the A20A tranny?

Legend_master
09-27-2005, 06:47 PM
did you ever think to get the integra tranny for the shorter gears. Might help once you get better tires. Besides that, I am in the same boat with the tranny newbs.

adams86lxi
09-27-2005, 09:18 PM
did you ever think to get the integra tranny for the shorter gears. Might help once you get better tires. Besides that, I am in the same boat with the tranny newbs.

uhh dude the integra tranny wont work.

88Accord-DX
09-27-2005, 09:26 PM
I don't know to much about this particular tranny, but did you need any special tools or anything? I haven't tried to mess with any tranny, but from what I know you need special tools & shit to mess with automatic trannies.. Are you taking apart the manual or auto tranny?

carotman
09-27-2005, 09:38 PM
you can get the A20A diagrams from www.hondaautomotiveparts.com or www.slhondaparts.com

adams86lxi
09-27-2005, 10:34 PM
I don't know to much about this particular tranny, but did you need any special tools or anything? I haven't tried to mess with any tranny, but from what I know you need special tools & shit to mess with automatic trannies.. Are you taking apart the manual or auto tranny?

Its a manuel. And the only special tool i really needed was a big ass 14mm allen wrench for a plug in the top of the tranny.

adams86lxi
09-27-2005, 10:35 PM
you can get the A20A diagrams from www.hondaautomotiveparts.com or www.slhondaparts.com

thanks carotman, ill check those out.

Acid X
09-27-2005, 10:42 PM
Fix dat shit yo! Haha. ;)

phrenology
09-27-2005, 11:54 PM
Hmmmm ask Mr. Eff he did his tranny rebuild/mod with his own two hands but I haven't seen the guy in weeks. The poor bastard has been smothered by work and school. :lol:

Civvy
09-28-2005, 12:29 AM
The countershaft is the hard one to split and you will prolly need to hire a puller kit. was everything else looking straight i.e. selector forks??

I have heard rumours the ITR LSD fits???

Try P.P.com

Busted_Blue
09-28-2005, 01:42 AM
if i remmeber correctly from b20aturbo rob's post he said that the b16a LSD fits in the tranny. Perhaps you should look into that..

found the thread.

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=34575&highlight=b16a+lsd

Legend_master
09-28-2005, 11:12 AM
uhh dude the integra tranny wont work.

:uh: I was thinking you had the a20 in there. Sorry about that :slap:

cardoc33
09-28-2005, 03:30 PM
adams86lxi, what is the trans code on your box? It should be stamped on a flat on the bellhousing. I may be able to get a kit or just the synchros for you, but I would need a code. Also, does it have a tin cover on the back, or is it all aluminum?

adams86lxi
09-28-2005, 06:00 PM
adams86lxi, what is the trans code on your box? It should be stamped on a flat on the bellhousing. I may be able to get a kit or just the synchros for you, but I would need a code. Also, does it have a tin cover on the back, or is it all aluminum?

if you could help me out it would be greatly appreciated! I believe the code on the side of the tranny is B2K5 umm about the tin cover? Im pretty sure it doesnt have one? I would check but the tranny is at my friends house.

mykwikcoupe
09-29-2005, 10:14 PM
just a thought but since your this far apart already maybe look into cryo treating all the gears and putting in that obx lsd from ebay. Im going to go that way here pretty quick. Ive read some good things about the obx units myslef for the price and all anyway. Quaife make s agear set for 3gs but thats 3 gs man. Id see about making the gears stronger so you can abuse them more. Good luck man

cardoc33
09-30-2005, 08:08 AM
Sorry dude, made some calls, but nobody has JDM stuff. You might look into getting a complete trans to use for parts. Call a place that imports low milage engines and trannies and see if you could put in a speical order. It might cost a bit more up front, but you could always sell off leftover parts to make some back. Or keep them just in case. I'm sure parts for these things are worth their weight in gold.
One guy I talked to said honda uses about 6 different synchro sets over the whole line. I would bet with some carefull maching you could come up with something. you just need 3rd, right?
I think your trans is fairly close to 2nd gen integra USDM. We are usually about 1-2 yrs behind what comes out in japan. You may be able to swap gear sets to come up with different ratios or fit in the LSD unit as civvy suggested. If you don't depend on the car, now is a great time to mod.

adams86lxi
09-30-2005, 04:29 PM
Sorry dude, made some calls, but nobody has JDM stuff. You might look into getting a complete trans to use for parts. Call a place that imports low milage engines and trannies and see if you could put in a speical order. It might cost a bit more up front, but you could always sell off leftover parts to make some back. Or keep them just in case. I'm sure parts for these things are worth their weight in gold.
One guy I talked to said honda uses about 6 different synchro sets over the whole line. I would bet with some carefull maching you could come up with something. you just need 3rd, right?
I think your trans is fairly close to 2nd gen integra USDM. We are usually about 1-2 yrs behind what comes out in japan. You may be able to swap gear sets to come up with different ratios or fit in the LSD unit as civvy suggested. If you don't depend on the car, now is a great time to mod.

damn, well thanks for trying bro. My friend has a 2nd gen integra tranny at his house and im going to try to get him to let me rip it apart to compare the syncros.