PDA

View Full Version : Genetic diseases of 3Geez?

visionguru
09-28-2005, 06:29 AM
It's been 5 years since the last time I did any major maintenance on my 3Gee (89 Accord Dx, 165K miles). I'd like to learn from you guys, which parts of the 3G Accord is BOUND TO FAIL at this stage of its life.

OK, between me and several friends, there are 4 3G Accords, and now I am the only one still having it. Through the years, there are certain things which I'd like to call "Genetic diseases":

Small stuff

The gas tank door area starts to get rusted spots at 10year mark
The tire cover tends to crack at 10 year mark (or earlier)
Blurry "H" syndrome -- shakes at low idle

:uh:Major diseases: :uh:

CV joints --- Around 100K mark, it starts "click-click-click..."
Rear upper arm ball joint (left side) breaks at 120K mark. This is really scary. Mine was broken on a left turn to the highway entrance. :sad2: My friend had exactly the same problem a year earlier, and his car was 1 year older than mine.

My car hasn't given me any trouble during the last 5 years. Recently it passed emission test easily and beat the HC/CO requirements by a very large margin. I am wondering what's the next big thing? Please warn me.

Thanks.

88accordhb
09-28-2005, 06:36 AM
ummm squeaky bird noise from the rear compartment. lol

accordlxi2.0
09-28-2005, 06:55 AM
well....
if the fuel pump has'nt been replaced
when it goes out you'll know.
lets say you try to floor it and once it gets to 4,500- ^ rpms the engine will sound like its starved for gas.
and this will keep up for about 3-4 days...it took 5 days for me, and my 1986 accod lx with 250,000miles on the oem fuel pump.

keep up on the timing belt replacement.
your driving and the car shuts off...you crank it and it cranks to easy you proabably snapped the belt.
but just put on a new oine and you'll be sraight.

that click from the axle...tch that ain't nothing...if anything tahts a warning on a 3g.
try driving then your car vibrates crazy.
steering wheel shake..the front just shakes.
that means yoru c.v.'s are being held in by the rubber boot...lol.

the shaking steering wheel.....that means you need new front and rear mounts.....

these cars don't have major problems.
they're very relaible...trust me i've owned three 3gs beat on em' all and they still take it.

i'm on my 4th honda...... :)!

BDaccordguy
09-28-2005, 09:48 AM
that click from the axle...tch that ain't nothing...if anything tahts a warning on a 3g.
try driving then your car vibrates crazy.
steering wheel shake..the front just shakes.
that means yoru c.v.'s are being held in by the rubber boot...lol.

try snapping one... hehe. Mine were clicking for quite some time.. and finally, during a U-turn the damn thing gave up.. car quit moving and i had to push it into a parking lot. lol. good thing i had my roommate with me.

1ajs
09-28-2005, 04:45 PM
trunk rusts out is one flaw
valve seals in the head ect
engin mounts
5gear on 5 spd relplaced 2 of them now one lasted 200k the other wore out at 1m k mark makes a odd nose in trany when its worn
driver seat foam
timing belt cover

halxi
09-28-2005, 04:57 PM
water pump
cv

only 2 major things EVER replaced on my car, no rust on the gas tank area, no balljoint problems, i have 1 rust spot but thats because thats an aftermarket panel (someone backed into my car like 2 months after my parents bought it), fuel pump is good, still putting out more then the recomended stats (forgot exact numbers), injectors are good, valves are good, timing belt replaced at 170k, 250k now, still good, i need all new suspension stuff though (struts/springs)

Pro_Mod_Accord
09-28-2005, 05:22 PM
I would have to complain only about the Front and rear upper control arms....Replace them if you got the money...Fronts are expensive though...

Strugglebucket
09-28-2005, 05:53 PM
the main relay and also the power window control box tend to go bad in a lot of 3gs. not so much a milage thing, more the age of the car and it's exposure to hot and cold weather i think.

Vanilla Sky
09-28-2005, 06:00 PM
and none of you guys have mentioned the carburetor... that's the absolute worst piece of shit honda ever used.

Strugglebucket
09-28-2005, 06:18 PM
and none of you guys have mentioned the carburetor... that's the absolute worst piece of shit honda ever used.
:rofl:
it's not bad. it's just all the junk they strapped onto it to try and make it run like a fuel injected car. vacuum solenoid hell.

Vanilla Sky
09-28-2005, 06:21 PM
yeah, it is bad. they tend to leak and burn down the car. so far, i've probably seen 1 or 2 burned LXis, and over 100 burned DXs and LXs. this is only counting cars that weren't thefts. can't say that anything else is a worse fatal flaw...

lostforawhile
09-29-2005, 04:54 PM
I think most of the fires are caused by valve cover gaskets, i can't tell you how many i've seen at the junkyard with actual burn marks on the valve cover. mostly idiots who don't take care of their car. I've fixed most of the problems mentioned in this thread and most stuff on my car is new now,don't forget the stupid heater core.

frankie89
09-29-2005, 09:30 PM
main relay problem...thats one of only things ive changed, cuz i had no power to the injectors. so i put in a acura relay from the jy.. water pump, fuel pump, o rings for injectors, (damn i've changed alot of shit) master cylinder, all front ball joints upper/lower, rear arms, inner/outer tie rods(all) um i think thats it.. oh yeah da pcv valve and the rad..ok im done..

Vanilla Sky
09-29-2005, 09:41 PM
no, i have to go with the carb. they like to leak from both the tophat and the float bowl adjustment screw. not little drips, but in some cases, practically pouring out of the carb :/

touring 1
01-02-2006, 10:04 PM
Leaks oil like the Exxon Valdeeez

white ricer
01-02-2006, 10:16 PM
i was lucky enough to buy my car after everything went to shit, the timing belt has been replaced, clutch, both cv joints, fuel pump, alternator. i was pumped.. the only complaint is my trunk fills up with water..

cubert
01-03-2006, 05:40 PM
when i had mine i did exhaust from the cat back (rusted), alternator (siezed), Both axles (clicky clicky), both ball joints (had camber like / \...), and the oil pan leaked to the point where it would puddle up under the tires and i would take off and slip every tire rotation :lol:

Deadhead
01-03-2006, 05:54 PM
damn ball joints....

ACCIDENTS....

driven the car for 21k miles and have been in 2 accidents! one wasn't my fault, the other was really bad weather on bad tires.

speedpenguin
01-03-2006, 06:04 PM
i've replaced my valve cover gasket 3 times in the past 2 years...
beginning to think there is a problem...
oh well, i'm rebuilding the block this winter, and fuel-injection is on the way.

AccordEpicenter
01-03-2006, 08:15 PM
only places where accords are bad is probably rust especially around tailights or under them especially on sedans, and fuel filler rust on 86-87s. Losing 5th gear also seems to be all too common... other than that, its little things, kids

3G Jester
01-03-2006, 09:32 PM
the phunkin rear wheel well rust.