PDA

View Full Version : Owner's Manual Pages

SteveDX89
09-28-2005, 11:52 AM
Does anyone have their owner's manual handy that they can scan a few pages? I need the section about "Towing Your Vehicle". I need some info. on towing our Accords.

Dr._8t9LX
09-28-2005, 03:12 PM
"if towing is ness., we recomend a flat bed.

Warning-never use chains or rope to tow as safety control may be adversely affected.

If must be towed with front wheels on ground, make sure Trans fluid is full and in Neutral, and ignition key is in the I position. ( to avoid serious damage in automatic trans, start car, shift to D, then N and shut off engine. If engine can not be started then you must use flat bed)

*do not exceed 35 mph or go more than 50 miles
*if a sling is used, wood spacer blocks should be placed between cars frame and the chains and lift straps to avoid damageing the bumper and body
*Do not use bumbers to lift car or support cars weight when towing"

Pg. 1-9 in service manuel

it also shows the tow attachment point, which is under the engine, in the center of front of car, a little u shaped metal attachment point.

My car is auto and has a key thing in the shift area to put it in neutral.

Tow driver told me that if he drug it up onto flatbed in park, it would snap a pin and ruin trans.

SteveDX89
09-28-2005, 04:57 PM
Damn, I guess I have to find a way to get the front wheels off the ground or pull the axles each time. :crying: I wonder what the people that tow their shit behind RV's do.

smufguy
09-30-2005, 09:31 AM
we have three points of towing on the 3geez. two tow plates bolted to the front frame that stick below the front bumper and another one on the center cross brace under the engine block.

steve since you have a stick, just have it in neutral and town it, but do note that you NEED to REMOVE the front bumper if you are gonna tow using the center brace cause ur lowered. also. if u can get a dolly at a u-haul, u will be set, just throw the front tires on the dolly, hook it up to a hitch, and ur off.

U-Haul dollies are like $35bux a day or something and no milage on them, cause they are just trailer attachments.

lostforawhile
09-30-2005, 12:11 PM
with the manual transmission you can use a tow bar,there are no milage limitations on a manual. that is for the auto. since the manual transmission has no pump for the fluid, anytime it's pulled with the wheels on the ground it's the same as if it were being driven. as long as the wheels are turning it's recieving lubrication. the auto needs the engine running so the pump is running.

SteveDX89
09-30-2005, 03:45 PM
Thanks guy for the info. I actually found earlier today about manuals don't have mileage restrictions. It just says to stay at 55 mph or lower. That's not a problem. Just will take me a little longer to get where I need to go.

I looked into the tow dolly situation before but U-Haul won't rent towing equipment to me because I don't have a full size tow vehicle. I'm just using my Explorer and since it's not half-ton or have a V8, they probably won't rent for liability purposes. I do have a tow bar. That's how I got it to my mom's house. Ironically, when you remove the front bumper and the front bumper attachments, the brackets bolt right there and it's just the right width. It could actually be about 1/4" narrower. I think I'm gonna modify the brackets and make the holes slotted at some point.

lostforawhile
09-30-2005, 04:10 PM
actualy the 55 is a good idea when towing a vechicle,but the car knows no difference,when the diff is turning the gears recieve splash lubrication just like you were driving the car on the road. the auto requires an engine driven pump to circulate fluid, the manual just throws the oil around in there.