PDA

View Full Version : clutches

djcslice
09-29-2005, 11:28 AM
i am sure that my clutch is going, i am looking to replace it next summer, i am wondering if an oem clutch is what i should go with or should i go with a name brand clutch. I was looking at the clutch on Drivewire. Its an Exedy kit and goes for 150.00 i am wondering if there is something that i could get that is better for around the same price? Is there a Best brand that is relatively cheap in price. I have heard really good things about Sachs. Is centerforce good?

bobafett
09-29-2005, 01:23 PM
i have heard good things about oem honda. mixed reviews about anything else.

what mods do you ahve that you would justify a higher end clutch, if you dont have a lot of mods, and dont plan on modding a lot, then stick to oem. it will be your best option.

i have heard a lot of great things about SPEC clutches. and im trying one in my new motor, but i havent used it yet. it was 260 something from horsepower freaks, and its a 6puck sprung. :)

djcslice
09-29-2005, 01:54 PM
well i dont really know where to find an oem clutch except maybe a dealer. Does any one know how much a true oem clutch kit costs ?

bobafett
09-29-2005, 02:18 PM
yeah i think they are around $100 my stepdad paid $80 something for clutch and PP and alignment tool i think

cardoc33
09-29-2005, 04:06 PM
Well, if you really don't have anything done to the motor, just stick to stock clutch parts. I wouldn't use centerforce, it's a gimmick to sell you expensive parts. I use Daikin/Exedy for the hondas I fix. I put one in my car 70k+ ago and it's still working good. And I beat the crap out of it. If you have a hard time finding a set, I can ship you one for about $110.00
including shipping. It would include the disc, pp, tob and tool. Let me know. And don't forget to resurface the flywheel. The step down should measure .615" Make sure they cut it right. Getting it wrong will affect the life and the release point(where it grabs).

djcslice
09-29-2005, 04:16 PM
how much would it cost to resurface the flywheel, would it be easier to replace it?

newaccorddriver
09-29-2005, 04:19 PM
how much would it cost to resurface the flywheel, would it be easier to replace it?

quoted $400CDN at dealership and about $300 or so elsewhere i went. i resurfaced it, cost me $50CDN

djcslice
09-29-2005, 04:47 PM
how did you get it resurfaced, did you pull flywheel and put it back on? Is it hard to reset the flywheel? You have to use a guage to keep it level or since it was already set it doesnt matter?

newaccorddriver
09-29-2005, 06:16 PM
it goes tgo another machine shop to get resurfaced. the on ly hard thing is putting it back on and torquing the bolts

djcslice
09-29-2005, 06:52 PM
it goes tgo another machine shop to get resurfaced. the on ly hard thing is putting it back on and torquing the bolts

what would happen if i didnt resurface it. It seems like it is more of a hassel than its worth. Unless the flywheel is warped i dont see it being justified.

newaccorddriver
09-29-2005, 06:54 PM
what would happen if i didnt resurface it. It seems like it is more of a hassel than its worth. Unless the flywheel is warped i dont see it being justified.

just gives it a proper mating surface, and its recommended

bobafett
09-30-2005, 05:49 AM
yeah if your changing your clutch, its one of those "might as well" type things... sort of like you "might as well" change your water pump when you change your timing belt, or visa versa! ;-)

newaccorddriver
09-30-2005, 06:12 PM
either spend like $40 machining it, or have a clutch with reduced life cause the surface on the flywheel might be glazed or something, thats really bad for clutches

snow_man_20
10-02-2005, 04:17 PM
you can get a new flywheel for $70 almost at any part shop or you can get a re-man for $40 with a $40 dollor core, thats also average at any parts store. If your core is really bad and has cracks it best to buy new and save the $10. If your core is in good shape, i called car quest and thay resurfaced fly wheels for $30. I live in oregon so prices my be a little differant depending on location.

spanky
10-02-2005, 05:25 PM
when i was down at autozone they have a complete clutch kit w/ clutch,pp,tob, and new flywheel and alignment tool. for 160 i think.that's if you have an autozone where you live.if i go down to autozone i'll get the part # for ya.

snow_man_20
10-02-2005, 05:43 PM
when i was down at autozone they have a complete clutch kit w/ clutch,pp,tob, and new flywheel and alignment tool. for 160 i think.that's if you have an autozone where you live.if i go down to autozone i'll get the part # for ya.

With a new flywheel? Are you shure?