PDA

View Full Version : carb problems?

avi b
09-29-2005, 11:52 AM
Hi. I am newbie to Honda BB, but I need your help.
I have an 86 Accord 3 door hatchback DX with 5 speed.
Car was doing great, then started to stall out, then died.
Indy mechanic diagnosed as problem with carb.
Had someone repair and reinstall. Also had full tuneup after that.
Now.. mpg went down from 35 highway to 27mpg.
When stop at light idle is low. When step on brakes drops even lower.
When moving forward and take foot off gas feels like car is pulled backwards.
Less peppy.
Is it the carb, installation of the carb , ignition timing, vacuum line.
Car going back to indy, so any thoughts are really appreciated.
Car has 60k miles on it.
Thanks.

avi b
09-29-2005, 11:54 AM
From Avi b.
My mistake..Honda is an 86 accord not 89.

Pro_Mod_Accord
09-29-2005, 12:29 PM
Check the timing...The timing might need to be advanced a few degrees. Loosten off the 2 bolts on the distributor with motor running and move it counter-clockwise a bit. You will notice the RPM's go up...Check Idle then tighten up when desidered idle is obtained.. Take it for a spin...shoulc notice better acceleration and constant idle..If not, could be a small VAC leak, or Carb adjustment...

Might be clockwise....hhmmmmm kinda forget///one way or the other..LOL

avi b
09-29-2005, 12:39 PM
would this affect the miles per gallon to the positive?

Pro_Mod_Accord
09-29-2005, 02:06 PM
For one, if your timing is off(retarded) it's gonna act like it's running rich in the lower RPM's then lean out more as RPM's increase....

Timing does effect gas mileage to a certain degree....Trust me, try it out...might be the answer to your problem...

Pro_Mod_Accord
09-29-2005, 02:10 PM
Timing is all about efficiency of the motors ability in transfering thermal energy into kinetic energy , so if your timing is ideal for everyday driving , then your fuel mileage would be more efficient.

ability to transfer as much thermal energy into kinetic energy

avi b
09-29-2005, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the guidance.
I will recommend to the indy to try the remedy and let you know how it works out.
Aside from the poorer performance and gas mileage, the car used to be fun to drive. Almost like a small sports car. Now its more of a drag. I knew that there had to be something wrong.

89accordex4dr
09-29-2005, 04:14 PM
I got a silly question, um can i ajust the float chamber, if so how do i do that and wat do i set it at?im not famillia with these carbs

A20A1
09-29-2005, 07:35 PM
Careful before you adjust the float screw. There are two rubber o-rings... if they break you'll have gas leaking out the top of the carb where the screw is... or it will leak into the float bowl and flood the engine.