PDA

View Full Version : Overheating problems

3rdCoast
09-29-2005, 01:12 PM
Ok im usually on the forums for help with my 87Lx which is out of service right now with a dead alternator, so right now im using my old 88lx to get around. The 88 has been sittin around for about 2-3 months unused when i got the 87 and the waterpump went out on it i think from sittin around without bein started often enough. The car worked but i needed to keep the coolant in the car it leaks from the water pump pretty bad. I havent been driving it far, keepin it within a 5mile radius from my house. Today was a hot day and the car did the usual overheating went to the "H" on the guage and i would find a spot to stop and let it cool off. I was on my way home and it was started to get hot again and then began to die at stoplights and signs. I had to crank it a good min. and give it some gas to get it back on again. Before when it started dying at stops when the car would get hot i started to make a rattling sound from under the hood. Sounds like a nut or an empty coke can gettin knocked around in my engine. Rattle is constant and only when accelerating. The noise got louder and louder as i got closer to my house. When i got to the house the car was smoking and could hear all the gurgling that come with overheating but i also smelled somethin else that smelled like burned oil or some other fluid that wasnt antifreeze. Im not that worried about this car because i dont plan to keep it after i get the 87 fixed. Which is why i've been stupidly driving the car around with a bad water pump. But i still want to know about this knock/rattle sound because my 87 does it to but not so loud u have to listen for it on the 87. I think its heat related because when i 1st started hearing it from the 88 it would come and go usually it would stop after putting some coolant in. The 87 has always done it since i got the car hasnt gotten louder or gone away and i havent had overheating problems from it. I opened the radiator up and it was full so i dont know what the cause is. I dont think i blew the head gasket on the 88 yet becuase i havent seen any white smoke from the tail pipe. I anybody could shed some light on this i would appreciate it, thanx....... :uh:

nswst8
09-29-2005, 03:10 PM
The water pump is dead, the shaft bearing is so worn that the shaft rattles under load.

Your are causing to much pressure that the heat tolerance is compromised. Result will be blown head gasket at the very least with the continued use.

3rdCoast
09-29-2005, 03:34 PM
see on the other car i hear the same noise just not as loud and that car has no overheating problems at all never goes past half on the temp guage. :dunno:

A20A1
09-29-2005, 07:42 PM
Ahh fix the pump. it's real simple, just time consuming.

3rdCoast
09-29-2005, 07:47 PM
so is that rattling noise coming from bad bearings in the water pump? if so i got 2 water pumps to fix :sad2:

3rdCoast
10-01-2005, 11:49 PM
???????????????????anybody????? :sad2: :banghead:

3rdCoast
10-05-2005, 09:26 PM
:pc:

86commuter
10-07-2005, 10:38 AM
is the knocking when it is really hot?? if so it could be preignition from the high temp internally. water pump sound like it is gone and using Osmosis to cool

3rdCoast
10-10-2005, 09:49 PM
well when there is enough coolant still in the car the water pump pretty much spit fliud out and sounded like a tea kettle goin off just after the car was turned off. I think i bent a rod. :sad2:

shepherd79
10-11-2005, 12:12 PM
well sounds like you cooked your rod bearings and everything else. you may as well junk the car. the engine is toast.

3rdCoast
10-11-2005, 11:24 PM
i filled the radiator with water today cuz i havent started the car since it overheated last which was about 2 weeks ago and started it up and there were no engine knocks i took it around the block and parked it back in the driveway and reved her to 7,000 rpms and no knocking.........

3rdCoast
10-16-2005, 09:07 AM
any input?????

nswst8
10-16-2005, 12:05 PM
The problem is that you are not listening to the advice givin. You obviously have a cooling system that is not properly cooling. Think of the travel of H2o and where it is obstructed or loosing H2o.

And fix the problem.

If you continue to abuse your ride it will fail.

This is why you are not getting responses.

Radiator, hoses, heater core, water pump, thermostat, remember the smaller hose that come off the thermostat housing.

The information is here reserch it, the cooling system is not that difficult to repair.

A20A1
10-16-2005, 12:13 PM
why'd you rev so high?

3rdCoast
10-16-2005, 11:26 PM
im asking about the knock noise not asking if my waterpump is bad i already know it is i knew it was gone when it had coolant bubbling out of it. The noise is what im asking about. I have 2 accords and 88 lx which i have had since 03 and has the bad pump and i got an 87 which i just got a couple months ago. My 87 makes a rattle noise when accellerating and it makes the noise all the time. It doesnt overheat at all. Now my 88 that i have had 2 years started making the same noise when my overheating problems came to be due to my bad water pump. I know it needs to be fixed and i dont drive it. What im getting at is my 88 is making the noise when it overheats but goes away when i refill the coolant. The 87 which i just got always does it and isnt low on coolant. Im trying to figure out what the noise is. Im not ignoring the water pump problem i know it needs to be fixed and im not too concerned with that right now its the noise that im trying to get to the bottom of. It is a light rattle not a deep loud one like a bent rod. It sounds like if a washer were loose and just rattling around while pressing on the gas. Sounds like something is floating around the engine. Does anybody understand now what my question is? Maybe i didnt make it clear enought before. Im not too worried about my 88 because im probably scrapping it or sellin it which ever because its not in the greated condition needs quite a bit of money put into it to get it tip top again and it has a salvage title so its not worth the money to me to be put into it. I just got the 87 is always makes this mystery noise and my old 88 started to make this noise too but only when it's running hot and im trying to find out what this noise can be. Let me know if this still doesnt make any sense so i can try to put this some other way. Thanx for any help.....

Cant Stop
11-12-2005, 03:51 PM
consider yourself lucky no knocking 2 weeks after overheating it equals you got lucky.
put one of your spare water pumps on it and it should be fine unless you sprung a leak somewhere else.
again no knocking no problem just fix the water pump.

Cant Stop
11-12-2005, 03:56 PM
now for your 87 if it is a lite tapping see if it is coming from the valve cover if so your valves need adjusting, if noise is coming off the side near the water pump replace it since the bearings may be going bad and no it may not overheat with bad bearings in the pump till it finally siezes then you will know. if it sounds like you are driving a diesel then you need a tuneup.

3rdCoast
11-14-2005, 11:34 AM
ok check it out this is almost exactly what it sounds like. Take a coke can and drag it across a rod iron fence almost exactly what it sounds like when accelerating. I noticed u can hear it make the sound too at idle but its a lot deeper. Yeah im gonna look into the water pump. I was told that my valves were too tight. Im gonna check into the water pump 1st since they are only $25 and i think i can do it myself. I dont think i could handle the valves though... oh yeah also the noise isnt that loud u can hear it if u listen for it but when driving like next to a wall link in a drive thru u can really hear it for obvious reasons...

Blkblurr
11-14-2005, 01:39 PM
The knocking is your water pump bearings. Just because the other car is not overheating doesn't mean the water pump is ok, it's just not leaking yet. The pump will failing soon if the bearings are bad and just a matter of time before you do more damage. Fix it and see if the knocking stops.

StressSolutions
11-18-2005, 03:40 PM
It never hurts to have new water pump and hoses anyway. Why wait till it dies?

When you sell the 88, I hope you disclose all the overheating you've done to it.....