PDA

View Full Version : putting in a new clutch!!! PAIN IN THE ...`

spanky
09-30-2005, 06:37 PM
Hey, well i finaly decided to put a new clutch in. so far ive took off the 32mm lock nuts, dropped the arms and took out the right side half shaft(cv shaft).
so far thats all i got done with in an hours work (got dark out) so hopefully tomarrow i'll have the tranny dropped and clutch put on and by sun it should be on the road again.

ps. anyone who already did this please post some tips/trick.
also how do i disconnect the clutch cable
the link on the how to doesnt show how
http://members.fortunecity.com/accordex87/adjustment.jpg
thanx spanky.

mykwikcoupe
09-30-2005, 07:41 PM
clutch cable has 2 12mm nuts on the end to lock it nto place. If you pull down on the rubber boot itll expose alot of threads. youll notice theres a portion of the threads that miss then start again. You need to lossen the bottom nut to make it so the threaded rod can go through the bracket were those threads arent there. I know it sounds funny but youll see. Also there usually alot of dirt and gunk on the threads try wiping them off well or spraying with some penetrating oil. it helps. If youve gotten the axles loose thats the hardest part. Make sure to remember all the bolts and such.

Strugglebucket
09-30-2005, 08:54 PM
i remember someone saying they found it easier to just ubolt the clutch cable bracket.

when you unbolt the transmission from the block you should number the bolts or draw a quick sketch of which length ones go where so you don't forget. also, make sure the axle's c-clips egage all the way when you re-install them. use new ones.

bboipinoy112
10-01-2005, 05:41 PM
when you start getting close to unbolting the transmission from the block. place a floor jack under the transmission so you can lower/raise it to get it loose.

halxi
10-01-2005, 11:04 PM
Put a floorjack under it to support it, but make sure its not putting pressure on it, then from the engine bay (top side of the tranny) grab the end of it and wiggle it out of the block.

MAJOR POINTER HERE! HINT! HINT HINT HINT! READ THIS!

Check the block for the "alignment" pins i guess youd call them, they connect the block to the tranny. When i was putting a new one in my car, one of those pins got stuck and we spent 8 wasted hours trying to get the tranny in... well when you have that peg in the new tranny, and its still in the block... it creates problems. So check that!

Also, its way easier to use a jack to jack the tranny up into place then work it into the block. I tried the bench press method and ended up dropping the tranny on my chest once.

spanky
10-02-2005, 05:49 AM
well finally got it out last night. today im gonna put the new clutch in and then try and get most of everything put back in it's place.the tranny was a pain to get out. but it should be smooth from there.the only problem ive had was not having any help that's useful. but today my neighbor is gonna stop down he should know how to put the tranny in b/c he swapped it from auto to 5spd before i bought it off him..

thanx for the pointer/tips..

if you aint laughing you aint livin.............mind of mencia