PDA

View Full Version : wiring gauges?

87_HaTcH
10-01-2005, 12:03 PM
Now everyone latly has been talking about these white face gauges. I bought a set from procarparts and they dont tell you exactly what to do. i cant find what im looking for in the search. where do you attach the red wire and of course the black wire is a ground. the instructions state to a 12v power source that is conncted to the parking lights but im clueless as far as which wire is the parking lights under the dash. If anyone has done this with no problems then please tell me what i have to do. :uh:

BDaccordguy
10-01-2005, 12:17 PM
when i hooked mine up, i just tapped that red wire into the cruise control switch, since it was easy to get to. Basically just hook it up to the power source to anything on the dash that lights up when you turn your lights on. That way, when you turn your lights on, whala, the gauges turn on.

87_HaTcH
10-01-2005, 12:30 PM
Ok your saying wire it into one of the wires to the cruise control switch.... sry to be a newb but theres like 3 or 4 which color? :uh: and ill be on my way.

BDaccordguy
10-01-2005, 12:44 PM
er, its been a while (like 3 years) since i did mine, so i cant remember exactly, but if nobody else knows, and theirs only 4.. trial and error couldnt hurt i guess.

kaltenacht
10-01-2005, 12:52 PM
Ok your saying wire it into one of the wires to the cruise control switch.... sry to be a newb but theres like 3 or 4 which color? :uh: and ill be on my way.

Looking at this picture of the wiring schismatic I would either wire it to the Red wire which runs to the "Dash Brightness Control unit". I would assume that it is the button to change dim the lights on the dash. If that one doesnt work then try the old fashioned way. With the dash lights turned on, unplug the connector that connects the back of the cruise control switch. Then using a circut tester, touch each one of the pins inside the connector, to figure out which one has power running to it. Then wire it to that one. :-) hope that helps some.

http://img277.imageshack.us/img277/4785/cruise1qd.th.jpg (http://img277.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cruise1qd.jpg)

frankie89
10-01-2005, 12:52 PM
i tapped my gauges power source to a fuse in the dash fusebox.. i put it to the instrument cluster fuse and its been working fine sice i did it like 3 years ago also..

TWOLOUDNPROUD
10-02-2005, 08:10 AM
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/359000-359999/359877_24_full.jpg

kaltenacht
10-03-2005, 07:08 PM
That should be in a FAQ somewhere.

What should?

kaltenacht
10-04-2005, 07:24 AM
:uh:

im confused.... :slap:

jk

POS carb
10-06-2005, 07:58 AM
the red wire with the blue stripe gets 12v with parking lights at all the switches, it's to illuminate your gauge at night. There's another that dims, I have to check. I have my car mostly apart so I can get back to you on that tomorrow

you can also tap it at the illumination controller, remove the plastic trim under the steering column (the big one the same color as your interior, not the black one with the turnsignals/wipers) and you'll see a little black box with a 6 pin connector, use red/blue stripe. The black wire there will also work as the ground for the gauge