PDA

View Full Version : problem installing a clutch today...

newaccorddriver
10-02-2005, 09:01 AM
well, i tried installing my clutch today, and my pressure plate got bent where one of the dowel pins go. on top of that, one of those pins just snapped in half, so im left with 1 peg left... i went ahead and attempted to install the pressure palte to see how everything went in. i torqued all the bolts properly and those little fins on the inside of the pressure plate werent evenly set in(i guess thats how id describe it), there was only 1 high spot and thats the only place where the pressure plate got bent up. am i ok with using that one still, or must i buy a new pressure plate? i dont know how to post up pictures, but if youd like, i can email you a picture of what im talking about

i didnt get too good of a look at it, but i thikn the part that mates with the clutch is still fine though, just the part that holds up againest the flywheel is a little bent out of shape(although it still holds in place finely)

one other thing i dont get is why hondaautomotiveparts says i need 3 of those dowel pins, when my flywheel only had 2 of them

spanky
10-02-2005, 09:27 AM
i hear exactly what your saying (im installing my clutch today too) k, take your pressure plate off again. there is 6 holes where your screws go into the engine block next to 3 of the holes there should be a smaller hole. all you have to do is use a pair of pliers and it shold pop out and you can just go to a local auto parts store and tell them what your need.(pressure plate alignment dowel) (not sure of exact name). and then put the plate back on and then you'll know it's right..

ps. good luck w/ the clutch.
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=46750
for some tips.

Oldblueaccord
10-02-2005, 10:04 AM
well, i tried installing my clutch today, and my pressure plate got bent where one of the dowel pins go. on top of that, one of those pins just snapped in half, so im left with 1 peg left... i went ahead and attempted to install the pressure palte to see how everything went in. i torqued all the bolts properly and those little fins on the inside of the pressure plate werent evenly set in(i guess thats how id describe it), there was only 1 high spot and thats the only place where the pressure plate got bent up. am i ok with using that one still, or must i buy a new pressure plate? i dont know how to post up pictures, but if youd like, i can email you a picture of what im talking about

i didnt get too good of a look at it, but i thikn the part that mates with the clutch is still fine though, just the part that holds up againest the flywheel is a little bent out of shape(although it still holds in place finely)

one other thing i dont get is why hondaautomotiveparts says i need 3 of those dowel pins, when my flywheel only had 2 of them

As far as the clutch "fingers" they wont be dead even. Why i dont know. Make sure to torque the bolts in and even pattern. As far as the pins broken that doesnt seem correct.

There is someone on here that does/sells clutches I hope he will chime in with a better answer. EDIT its cardoc33.

wp

newaccorddriver
10-02-2005, 04:21 PM
i hear exactly what your saying (im installing my clutch today too) k, take your pressure plate off again. there is 6 holes where your screws go into the engine block next to 3 of the holes there should be a smaller hole. all you have to do is use a pair of pliers and it shold pop out and you can just go to a local auto parts store and tell them what your need.(pressure plate alignment dowel) (not sure of exact name). and then put the plate back on and then you'll know it's right..

ps. good luck w/ the clutch.
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=46750
for some tips.

as far as i know there should be 3 alignment dowels, atleast according to majestic honda and the haynes manual. somehow my flywheel had 1, i was positive that it had 3 before i sent it in to get resurfaced. maybe they switched it with someone elses by accident?

newaccorddriver
10-02-2005, 04:26 PM
As far as the clutch "fingers" they wont be dead even. Why i dont know. Make sure to torque the bolts in and even pattern. As far as the pins broken that doesnt seem correct.

There is someone on here that does/sells clutches I hope he will chime in with a better answer. EDIT its cardoc33.

wp

apparently theres supposed to be 3 pins, but mine had 2 which was odd, everythings lined up correctly now, but the bad part is the pressure plate might be fubared... not completely sure if it is ot not cause the bent part is pushing out towards the transmission, not in towards the flywheel, so i might be able to get away with reusing it since its still flush with the flywheel(except the part thats bent of course). i tried to order in a pressure plate, but apparently NAPA only has a 'clutch cover assembly' listed under pressure plate, not sure if that parts it cause its got no picture...