PDA

View Full Version : One more clutch + some

snow_man_20
10-02-2005, 05:42 PM
I noticed that alot of people are also doing there clutches, so i guess its time to start my "clutch thread" and see what every body thinks.

Parts list.

Schucks Parts store

NEW cardone right drive shaft $99.99 (maybie bad, may return it)
NEW cardone left drive shaft $89.99 (i know is shot)
NEW beck/arnley R/L drive seals $12.98 total
Remanufatured flywheel $42.99 + $40.00 core. (if the core is not to specs i'm going to return the reman and buy a new one. new one is $67.97)

Schucks total 245.95 (with a good core)

honda parts list.

torque mount $15.53 (really bad)
boot (shift rod) $5.38 (torn)
shift rod pin $3.40 should change
spring release fork $2.87 (cheap and may break)
bolt/washer $4.54 should change
rear main seal $11.26 should change and mabie leaking

majestic total $42.97

Majestic + schuck's = 288.92

Now the problem, finding a good clutch. I order the centerfoce, did some reaserch and quickly canceled.

Other options

honda clutch kit $200.34 + shipping + 1.99 tool from schucks
pressure $102.71
friction $62.20
bearing $35.43

exedy kit around $150

Prostreet kit (schucks) around $130

and many others, any sugestions please feel free. I probibly won't order one till wednesday. I have bought everything elce, just haven't got the clutch yet. I'm going to take alot of pics with the diga cam and hopfully get them posted.

mike

newaccorddriver
10-02-2005, 05:49 PM
its nice that your doing the clutch job on your own, good luck with getting the transmission lined up with the engine, seems to be the hardest part apparently. as for the clutch stuff, if your keeping your car stock, then the stock clutch should be fine. im doing minor upgrades for now so a stockish clutch should be fine. when i turbo my car, im getting a heavy duty clutch to handle the power. if i were you, id get the exedy or prostreet kit. their probably just as good as the OEM one, but almost hald the price.

snow_man_20
10-02-2005, 06:01 PM
it sucks because its heavy but with a trany lift it's not bad.

newaccorddriver
10-02-2005, 06:12 PM
it sucks because its heavy but with a trany lift it's not bad.

its heavy only to a certain point. lifting it up isnt hard, just lifting it up and having to try and line it up for a couple minutes is hard. if my friend were there, id tell him to slide the jack under the car while i lifted it up. hes usually a let down, just like everybody else around me who doesnt understand the phrase 'when i lift this up, i want you to put the jack underneath the transmission'. when i say that, they almost always ask me, 'whats the transmission'

using a transmission jack makes the work alot easier, but i dont know where to get one, and i dont justify spending $200(i think thats how much they are) on something that im using once

cardoc33
10-03-2005, 07:57 AM
Sounds like a good list you have there. You may want to replace the cable as well since your doing everthing else. Also, add 3 qt. synth. oil to your list. Remember to use just a straight 30wt, anything heavier will cause slow shifting.
Yea, stabbing the trans can be the worst part of doing a clutch job. Try leaving it out of gear to help the shaft rotate into the splines.

spanky
10-03-2005, 09:41 AM
Sounds like a good list you have there. You may want to replace the cable as well since your doing everthing else. Also, add 3 qt. synth. oil to your list. Remember to use just a straight 30wt, anything heavier will cause slow shifting.
Yea, stabbing the trans can be the worst part of doing a clutch job. Try leaving it out of gear to help the shaft rotate into the splines.

i left mine in neutral when i started it and i think i took it out of neutral when i took off hte shift linkage. and suggestions on how to throw it back into neutral tryed moving the rod but i dont know where neutral is on the shift rod coming off the back of the tranny.

Vinny
10-03-2005, 09:49 AM

I wouldnt recommend synthetics in the tranny. Best bet is just to pick up 3 qts of Honda MTF at the dealer.

cardoc33
10-03-2005, 01:11 PM
Absolutly nothing wrong with synths, what do think the racers use? In fact, a good quality synthetic will help de-varnish the sychros, leading to better shifting quality.
If you push the shift rod in all the way(straight), then pull back ONE click, you will be in neutral.
Happy stabbing! :)

snow_man_20
10-03-2005, 11:57 PM
I wouldnt recommend synthetics in the tranny. Best bet is just to pick up 3 qts of Honda MTF at the dealer.

Yeah i have some in the shop, thanks though. I was thinking about synthetics but never heard if it in a trany. do thay make straight 30wt in synthetic? That's some thick stuff. I think the honda mtf is 5-30 not shure though. Hummm... new clutch cable? Do thay stretch or somthing? that would be almost another $60. My clutch is shot and i still have some room on the adjustment. i think i'm going to hold on that unless i need it. thanks for the advise.

I still haven't bought a clutch yet. I'm leaning on getting a OEM. shure its $200 but the first one lasted 180k, my car should be a billion pop cans before it hits 360k. who knows though, it is a honda.

mike

cardoc33
10-04-2005, 08:21 AM
Actually, most syntheics these days are multi-weight. If you look in the owners manual or shop manual, the first weight honda recommends is 30wt. If you live in a cold climate, a 5w-30 would work fine.
I'm not trying to brag here, but I talk thru expeirence. After 10+ years as a honda tech, you learn some things.
If you go to your nearest auto parts store, check out the Redline brand. Or check out the website. They make different levels of MTL.
About your clutch parts, Daikin is the OE manufacturer for Honda. Open the box from the dealer and you will see the Daikin/Exedy stamp on the part.
Check out my website, maybe I can save you some money.
Oh, and yes, the cables do stretch.

snow_man_20
10-13-2005, 06:10 AM
update: bought a clutch from schucks, spx is the brand. $130, not too bad i have some picks on my cell phone if sombody would like to host them.