PDA

View Full Version : Installing EFI Alternator with CARB Harness

rbeaud
10-07-2002, 07:57 PM
http://www.3geez.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4517

I think the voltage regulator on my alternator is gone. My local junker is an 88 LXi. Can I make the EFI work on my carb'd car? Otherwise I'll have to scan around for used alternators (Ebay didn't have anything solid and there do not appear to be any parts cars in the Market Place).

Cheers,

Roland

smufguy
10-07-2002, 09:47 PM
no it cant. u cant switch an efi altenator (4 pins) into a carb altenator (3 pins). sorry bro.

i got a carb altenator sitting in my garage from the carb to efi swap, if u want it i can give it to you for 25 bucks. or even 20 if u really want it.

POS carb
10-08-2002, 04:14 AM
yea he's right. rebuilds are $75-100

carotman
10-08-2002, 05:07 AM
yes you can!

Just use the connector from the EFI and match the wire colors

BTW this is only a guess, I assume that the EFI only has an extra wire for the ECU to read. If you don't use it, the alternator would work fine..... just match the wire colors.

cruznz
10-08-2002, 06:37 PM
and ur guess would be correct carotman:cool:

NOAHS88accord
10-08-2002, 10:15 PM
I have an 88 lx and my alternater melted the brushes so i put an EFI alternator in there and no problems so far

rbeaud
10-10-2002, 10:00 AM
Thanks for all the info and the sale offer. I've decided that since I'm dumping all this money to maintain the car for another 100k miles that skimping on the alternator wouldn't be wise. Got a reman for $83.00. Too bad it's such a pain to access the alternator, otherwise I wouldn't mind to much.

Cheers,

Roland

anchovies
10-10-2002, 11:57 AM
don't follow the manuals to get to the alternator.
You can access it from the top.
oh you have carb...not so sure. Others can help you or do a search.

shepherd79
10-10-2002, 12:17 PM
you can wigle it out to the other side under the intake manifold.

rbeaud
10-10-2002, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by shepherd79
you can wigle it out to the other side under the intake manifold.

You mean the passenger-side? If so, that will save me from removing the driver's axle. But access to the pigtail and bolts is still crappy.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,

Roland

smufguy
10-11-2002, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by NOAHS88accord
I have an 88 lx and my alternater melted the brushes so i put an EFI alternator in there and no problems so far

i wonder how u did that. cause efi altenators have 4 pins and ur carb has just 3. there is no way u can put ur 3 pin connector on ur 4pin altenator. it just does not add up. :werd: :stick:

smufguy
10-11-2002, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by rbeaud

You mean the passenger-side? If so, that will save me from removing the driver's axle. But access to the pigtail and bolts is still crappy.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,

Roland

Its gonna be a bitch though. its gonna be fucking hard and if for some reason u wanna give up cause the altenator just wont budge. Just take off the intake and get to it. Dont spend 2 days digging ur altenator from ur car just to get it loose. the intake gasket (which u have to change no matter what) is like 6 bucks so i dont think u will mind.

smufguy
10-11-2002, 08:18 PM
yo carot, cant seem to get to ur efi conversion page. it got shut down? thats what it says there.

rbeaud
10-14-2002, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by smufguy

Its gonna be a bitch though. its gonna be fucking hard and if for some reason u wanna give up cause the altenator just wont budge. Just take off the intake and get to it. Dont spend 2 days digging ur altenator from ur car just to get it loose. the intake gasket (which u have to change no matter what) is like 6 bucks so i dont think u will mind.

Yeah it was a be-atch. It required removing the heater hose clamps and the speedo cable in order to manuver the alt. under the intake manifold. Alex (shepherd79) and I have different definitions of "wiggle". But it can be done with some judicious pushing and pulling. It helps to have a helper: one under the car by the drivers side and the other above the engine on the passenger's side.

Next chapter in our installment: Koni's up front.

Cheers,

Roland

smufguy
10-14-2002, 04:16 PM
When i changed my altenator during my efi swap, i got the altenator in with ease. and when it was time to put it back in, shit wont go in. one of the sleeve rings was soo tight that it could not be hammered in or pushed in with the bracket on the block. This was before i put my intake manifold back on the car so u can see i got soo much room to work with. I ended up removing the bracket from the block and tapped the altenator in. The altenator amazingly popped in with ease because it was perfectly straight. the process pushed the sleeve rings back in the altenator so i ended up bolting the bracket on the block then sliding the altenator back in, so my experience cant be held against putting BACk the altenator while everything is on the car.

but do NOTE, that its easy to remove the altenator from the car from the driver side wheel whell. I can say this cause i did remove 3 altenators from the car with everything bolted on the engine except the air box and this was only from the efi cars and not on the carb cars.

SQ is the SQUAD
10-17-2002, 05:53 PM
i found the easiest way to remove the alt is to un bolt the motor mount on the alt side and jack up the engine on that side, the engine will til and you wll ave easy access tothe alt, i am gona go to the junkyard tomarrow to pick another alt

smufguy
10-18-2002, 05:55 PM
thats how everyone take their altenator out. :)

A20A1
10-02-2005, 10:07 PM
Hi guys, I bought myself some wire connectore I plan on rigging an adapter plug from the Carb Harness to the EFI Alternator. :( I gave my carb alt to a member on the board.

Anyways I have a pic, If you can point out which pins I need that would be great.

I'm pretty sure I have #1, #2, & #5 , but which do I connect the lower slot in my plug to?
#3, or #4... or does it matter?

http://www.3geez.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4513

A20A1
10-03-2005, 07:08 PM
Please,

I looked at the engine wiring diagrams but they don't lable the pins.

Soundy
10-03-2005, 09:43 PM
See if these help...
http://www.moltenimage.com/freebies/g3accord/engine_electrical/24-3.JPG

B is the main Battery terminal (#5 on your photo).
S, IG and L appear to apply to both EFI and carb'd engines (IG is #1) - see below.
FR is the terminal you're concerned with, and the wire for it should be white with a red stripe.

http://www.moltenimage.com/freebies/g3accord/engine_electrical/24-19.JPG

If I was feeling energetic enough, I'd go pull out my parts alternator and figure out just which terminal is which for you, but it's late... maybe tomorrow, if you still need it :)

A20A1
10-03-2005, 10:34 PM
Is this the correct wiring?

My Wire is Tan or Off-White and has a Neon Green Stripe on it.

http://www.3geez.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4516

Soundy
10-03-2005, 10:55 PM
(Dirty)White/Green would be the "S" terminal, White/Blue the "L" and Black/Yellow the "IG"; the missing pin is your "FR" terminal for the EFI tie-in. Dunno what that diode is there for, I don't see it on the schematic, and I don't recall seeing one in either of the two regulators from the two alts I had apart.

A20A1
10-03-2005, 11:19 PM
So do I have the wiring right?
or
Should I switch the white/red with white/green?

It looks like a resistor. I dunno if that is to regulate the voltage to the ECU or if it's part of the Alternator function.

Soundy
10-03-2005, 11:24 PM
Ahh, sorry, I misunderstood - I assumed the colors you had were the factory wiring.

That thing is indeed a diode... since my carb'd alt doesn't have it, I would guess it's related to the EFI output, and if that's the case, I'd say you have the tan/green and the white/red reversed, especially if the white/blue and black/yellow wires are the same on the carb'd and EFI'd alts.

A20A1
10-03-2005, 11:42 PM
Okie Dokie.

I'll swap em around and try to start the car... once I figure out where I put the wire to connect to the Mixture Cut-Off Solenoid at the back of the carb.
When I converted to weber I tied up the wire somewhere, thinking I would not need it.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b351/Wendy_girl/2005_CARB_FRONT.jpg

A20A1
10-08-2005, 07:34 PM
Well I double checked and that is the right wiring. Thanks for the help.

Soundy
10-08-2005, 09:36 PM
That's what we're all here for :) Glad ya got it workin'!

Hey, there's something to add to the FAQ: proper wiring for EFI'd vs. carb'd alternators :)

thabeana
11-06-2005, 12:33 AM
haha...you guys have much simpler ways of removing the alternator than i did...I ended up removing the brake booster, air cleaner assembly, and hundreds of little vacuum lines to get it out...and I just realized that I bought a EFI alternator for my carbed car...whoops! Guess I'm going to see if it's possible to switch out the plug on the alternator itself (this is the voltage regulator correct?) so that I can technically use the same connection...i'll keep ya updated and see if it works!

Soundy
11-06-2005, 08:54 AM
You're still doing it the hard way - I think you'd find it a lot easier to replace the plug on the end of the wiring harness :)

A20A1
11-06-2005, 11:10 AM
You're still doing it the hard way - I think you'd find it a lot easier to replace the plug on the end of the wiring harness :)

Yeah but you need a spare plug... you'd have to buy it from somewhere, where as if you replace the alt you already have the regulator to swap in, if it hasn't gone bad.

BTW, I see your quote in your sig... you watch B5 too eh. :)

thabeana
11-06-2005, 07:10 PM
Yeah but you need a spare plug... you'd have to buy it from somewhere, where as if you replace the alt you already have the regulator to swap in, if it hasn't gone bad.
BTW, I see your quote in your sig... you watch B5 too eh. :)
Yeah that's why I'm doing it the "hard way"...I don't have a spare connector, but I DO have my old alternator:D Like you said though, hopefully the regulator isn't bad:ugh: Or else I'm screwed...lol

Greg A.
11-07-2005, 07:49 AM
Ok, another question along the same lines then, but reversed...

I've got a good alternator from a carb'd engine, and I want to re-use it in my EFI engine. Can I do this?

Or can I swap the voltage regulator from the EFI alternator into the carb'd alternator?

Greg A.
11-07-2005, 07:51 AM
ok, never mind. I found the answer in the tech FAQ's...

thx,
greg.

thabeana
11-08-2005, 02:45 AM
UPDATE!! Today I swapped out the regulator from the Carbed alternator to the EFI Alternator...perfect fit! And put back in my car without a hitch...btw it took like 1/4 the time to put my vacuum hoses and brake lines back as compared to removal for the alternator to come out! I don't think it's really that bad taking it out the top actually! I took some pics before I took out the alternator and can take some other ones if anyone is interested...I know I'm a "noob" to this forum but I hope this helps anyone who has a similar situation goin' on. This site really does ROCK! woohoo!:rockon: