PDA

View Full Version : 88 Accord DX carb help???

JnJSpdShop
08-14-2002, 05:39 PM
Okay I bought this really nice southern Accord. It had 150,000 miles on the clock. I replaced a half shaft, and replaced the oil pan gasket cause it was leaking. I also put new main bearings in and put a new head gasket on. When I had the head off I did a full race port job just to practice and experiment a bit. Put the car back together and it idles fine and runs great, UNTIL it hits about 3,000 and then from there to redline it seems like a ton of air is flowing with not enough fuel. The car just dies on the top end. I think this is because I ported the head. With more air I certainly need more fuel along with it. What are my options to get more fuel in the top end?? I know nada about the Keihin carbs???

Thanks

:confused:

shepherd79
08-15-2002, 03:59 AM
well you can adjust the Air/fuel mixture.
first of all make sure your float is not too low. you should be able to see in on the right side of the carb (if you standing in the front of the car). take you aircleaner box and you should be able to see a window. on a level road let it rev a few times to bring the fuel to normal level. adjust the level with a screw on the top of carburator where the feed line comes in.
if that doesn't fix it. you will have to adjust the air/fuel mixture. the screw located on the back bottom of the carburator. it is hard to get to it. and it has safety plug on it. so it will require taking carb out and taking partially a part.
try the float level first that is most common thing.

JnJSpdShop
08-15-2002, 07:47 AM
Thanks for the info, but I am already one step ahead of you. I already adjusted the float level of the carb. I was just wondering why I would want to adjust the A/F ratio. The car run perfect idle and low rpm (under 2800) but then high rpm it dies. I know on my jetski the carb have a low and high speed circuit. Do these carbs work the same way. Is there a way to increase fuel on the top end, but not idle or low R's

doug
08-15-2002, 08:08 AM
you might want to check vacuum line #14 circuit. controls the power valve off of manifold vacuum. The port on the carb is on the rear top drivers side right next to the accelerator pump linkage arm. Follow line #14 and see if it is a good feed.

POS carb
08-15-2002, 11:17 AM
i'd stick with checking to see if the secondary on the carb is opening also check/replace your fuel filters, check float level and fuel pressure after.

JnJSpdShop
08-15-2002, 09:33 PM
Okay already replaced both fuel filters, adjusted float level properly, and fuel pressure is within spec. I assume the secondary is vacuum operated?? How would I check this, I am clueless when it comes to carbs??

DanG86LX
08-19-2002, 09:56 AM
Well, tap into #28 vacuum line with a vacuum gage. Tape the vacuum gage to your windshield so you can see it while driving. #28 takes vacuum from under venturi from both primary and secondary bores. There is a "thermovalve C" which bleeds #28 during warmup, make sure that is closed when engine is warm.
To tell you the truth, I might have the same problem, I don't see how the secondary might open, I got only 1..2 inHg over 3000rpm but after all I think I haven't try hard enough, cuz i am not into racing...

Site
10-11-2002, 06:54 AM
I'm interested in knowing, did this issue get resolved? I'm looking into a ported head and want to be knowledgeable of the issues I may face.

Thanks!

A20A1
10-11-2002, 01:38 PM
wow I'm interested too. I don't know how I missed this thread?

JnJSpdShop
10-11-2002, 06:07 PM
Ummm nope I checked everything, and still can't find a thing.... I am thinking I am not getting enough fuel so I purchased another carb from the junk yard that I am going to rebuild... and see if I can put bigger jets in the high speed circuit or maybe drill the jets that are in there out a little. It is all gonna be a guessing game.

A20A1
10-11-2002, 07:38 PM
we have a thread on drilling the jets...

rocky2
10-12-2002, 02:31 PM
I don't think Honda carbs allow fuel to keep entering secondarys all the time. If you idle engine and look down bore and hit mech linkage it will squirt a metererd amount then stop. You'll have to investigate further to get more fuel.