PDA

View Full Version : Ghetto lowering (cut springs?)

FyreDaug
10-07-2005, 05:26 PM
I know its probably not a safe idea to chop the springs, but knowing the condition of my car Im not concerned about safety. I just want to drop it while its still alive.

Whats the best way to chop the springs? Preferabbly while its still on the car on a lift, everything on this car is all siezed up and it pisses me off. Id rather not risk destroying something else because of it.

Any suggestions or tuts I can read up on? I'm at work and dont have a lot of time to search, sorry for the incompetance (everyone gets one)

A20A1
10-07-2005, 09:29 PM
I've done it, I cut off three coils worth.
However I removed the coils first.

DO NOT do it while it's still on the car!

If you remove the brake lines to keep them from getting heated and be careful not to mess up the shock,strut... then maybe you can put a torch to the springs but I dunno if that will work.

cardoc33
10-08-2005, 08:51 AM
If you cut the springs, use a cut-off saw. Don't use a torch, you will lose the temper in the spring and it will sag. Been there,done that.

b8er
10-08-2005, 11:57 AM
i agree with cardoc33

Ichiban
10-08-2005, 12:43 PM
i'd measure and mark out where i'm gonna cut, and then use coil spring compressors to relieve the pressure completely before i cut. still ghetto though.

FyreDaug
10-08-2005, 01:37 PM
Yeah I would use some sort of compresser so when I cut them it wouldnt shoot all over. Just enough so the tension is off.

Did you cut 3 coils from the top or bottom? And how much inch wise was 3 coils? I want about an inch and a half or so.

Ichiban
10-14-2005, 07:06 PM
you should be able to borrow a spring compressor from cambodian tire, if not buy one. all they are is two hooks with a loop to fit a piece of ready rod through, two washers and two nuts. use two spring compressors, opposite of each other, and compress the part of the spring you want to keep. chop off the "unloaded" part you have left at the top or bottom, whatever end is easier to get at. just make sure the pressure is relieved from the portion of spring you want to cut, you don't want it to come apart in your face. i don't mean to insult your intelligence, but be careful at this, bad stuff could happen. for cutting, i'd use a zip cut on a mini grinder, and be careful to cut only the coil you need to, ive gashed up lots of stuff working in tight spots with one of those.

edit: to fully unload the spring you will have to raise the car off of the ground and let the suspension sit at full droop. also a ratcheting wrench is handy with the spring compressors cause you really have to crank up those nuts.

Moodybluesr
10-14-2005, 07:52 PM
I just overhauled the suspension on the Hondamino last month; it had cut springs on it when I bought it. Shittiest ride I have ever felt... it was like the whole car was about to shake apart and it would skip to the right every time I hit a bump. Bottom line... I would not suggest cutting the springs on your car.

FyreDaug
10-15-2005, 12:36 AM
even an inch will kill the ride? I have no more money to put into this bucket

SteveDX89
10-15-2005, 05:09 AM
even an inch will kill the ride? I have no more money to put into this bucket

Then leave it alone.

BITESIZE
10-15-2005, 03:52 PM
If you are going for the lowered look, fork out the cash. Get springs, camber kit, and new struts/shocks. Well worth it. Cut springs = ruining everything on your car.

adams86lxi
10-15-2005, 04:08 PM
Dude just cut the fucking springs, It sounds like the car is going to die real soon anyway and then your going to be done with it. So why put money into it?? I know about cutting springs from experience i cut 3 coils out of the front and 3 from the back and it slammed the shit out of my car, and this was on 18 year old struts. It did not ride half as bad as people claimed it was going to ride. I dont think it rode much worse then my shitty coilovers ride right now lol. But deffiently watch out for bumps. It will ride good until you start hitting big bumps and dips then it gets crazy lol.

Accordtheory
10-27-2005, 03:56 PM
You can do it if you have stiff shocks, then the shocks will control the ride more than the springs and your car will drive ok. Also, lowering the car gives the steering a nicer feel, once you fix the camber, due to the increased caster from the different upper control arm position. With the prelude arm, bias it to the back of the car with the spacers.

FyreDaug
10-27-2005, 07:13 PM
How much of a drop did the 3 coils give you? I think thats probably more than I would do. I will probably leave it, if it survives the winter ill slam it a bit in the spring, but I figure the clearance will do more good than dropping it will lol

Entaius
10-30-2005, 06:09 PM
Dude, 3 coils gave about a 5" drop. You HAVE to take off your mudguards, and if you are running on stock struts that arent blown, they will be about 2 weeks after you murder your springs. Just go buy some dropzone coilover sleeves from eBay or whatever(Like $60 US)... get the '92 Civic coilover sleeves if they're cheaper. (What I did, but if you do go this route, keep the rear all the way up, other wise you bounce all over the road and.. just, yeah.) Cutting your springs doesn't only give you the worst ride ever, it is also REALLY dangerous, especially if you haven't trained your eyes to look for dips, pot holes, and sewer covers. One more thing, YOU CANNOT DRINK WHILE IN MOTION. You WILL have sticky goodness all over your hooptie. :thumbdn:

FyreDaug
10-30-2005, 10:58 PM
5inch drop? If anything I was saying 1 inch, just to close up the gap on the 13" steelies a little.

In the condition the car is in, I wouldnt worry about the cut springs being a danger.

88accordSF
07-02-2007, 10:09 PM
Dude just cut the fucking springs, It sounds like the car is going to die real soon anyway and then your going to be done with it. So why put money into it?? I know about cutting springs from experience i cut 3 coils out of the front and 3 from the back and it slammed the shit out of my car, and this was on 18 year old struts. It did not ride half as bad as people claimed it was going to ride. I dont think it rode much worse then my shitty coilovers ride right now lol. But deffiently watch out for bumps. It will ride good until you start hitting big bumps and dips then it gets crazy lol.

have to agree with adams somewhat on this one

chopped springs for years on all types of vehicles however, i make sure to put aftermarket shocks in, or new OEM at the time of the chop. that will keep the "shitty" outta the "ride" quality. jammin on cut springs AND old shocks blows....

would probably only chop one coil, for an economy chop. then you have the highest chance of not needing to get an alignment, and since the whole idea is to lower the car for almost no dollars, two coils could set you back and alignment and set of camber adjustment parts...

MessyHonda
07-03-2007, 09:45 AM
you could also do the front pitchfork mod to lower it an extra 1/2 inch.

Secondaries
07-04-2007, 10:42 PM
How would cut springs feel with just one coil gone, and with Konis, in the rear? How low would that be? I'm going to be going coil sleeves but these eBay ones I picked up to mock together my suspension, well in short, I don't trust them. I need to mill the rear sleeves out about 2mm but I won't do that with eBay sleeves and expect it to be strong...

ryan2107
07-04-2007, 11:45 PM
my girlfriends dad was tha previous owner to my accord and he has the springs cut and it drives fine cant feel a difference at all only on one part on the freeway on the way to work and back home from work on tha freeway it bounces for like2 seconds but u can barely tell i guess it depends who does the job as well... but for my ride it runs just as smooth when it was at its stock hieght

knarg
07-05-2007, 12:44 AM
i'd say it's not worth the time or possible money.
just put some huge weights in your car, or fat peeps :D

if you want a drop, get a car worth dropping
it's no use having a crappy car scraping the ground.

skycam_313
07-09-2007, 11:11 PM
cut em. cut em now. cut em short.:D

skycam_313
07-09-2007, 11:13 PM
in fact.... if you look at my car in my sig.... thats 3 coils.

ITS NOT 5 INCHES. MORE LIKE 3.... AND IT LOOKS NICE. (PM ME FOR PICS}

Civic Accord Honda
07-10-2007, 12:14 AM
i did not need to cut mine thay came cut and with blown shocks and the springs are worn lol i have lost a muffer and put a dent in the oil pan so far lol

88accordSF
07-10-2007, 11:11 AM
is there anybody with some good pics of their car w/ chopped springs, along with the number of coils cut?

i just threw on some 205/40-17s. was planning on chopping 2 coils from the bottom based on the forum info i've been reviewing, however it'd be good to get a visual reference from people that have done the chop on a 3gee...

.: t

A18A
07-10-2007, 11:26 AM
i think wohdog was running on cut springs (in the front) for a while, 2 coils i think:
http://imagehost.wohdog.sytes.net/Honda-Accord-Photos/29-9-06-photos/DSCF1052.JPG
ill get him 2 correct me if im wrong

88accordSF
07-10-2007, 11:29 AM
that looks like 2 coils on the top? not the bottom... just a guess

LiTtLe xOx BitT
07-10-2007, 12:20 PM
The best and safest way to lower the car is with lowering springs. I've seen people cut their springs and then spring somehow slides around the tophat from the pressure and the car drops on the ground completly and they are screwed. If you really want to lower your car i have a set of good 1"-4" adjustable coilovers that im selling. If you get something adjustable you can always change the ride height if needed. Let me know if your interested.

MessyHonda
07-10-2007, 01:40 PM
The best and safest way to lower the car is with lowering springs. I've seen people cut their springs and then spring somehow slides around the tophat from the pressure and the car drops on the ground completly and they are screwed. If you really want to lower your car i have a set of good 1"-4" adjustable coilovers that im selling. If you get something adjustable you can always change the ride height if needed. Let me know if your interested.

:werd: takes a while to get good springs but i got mine....and i like the way it rides.

88accordSF
07-10-2007, 01:42 PM

i'm interested.

sending u a msg right now....

Civic Accord Honda
07-10-2007, 04:23 PM
are thay the ebay coil overs =/

jschatte
07-10-2007, 06:30 PM
wow what an old thread

killa_16
07-10-2007, 07:37 PM
instead of cutting them just heat em up and weld some of the coils together

Secondaries