PDA

View Full Version : How to: Make your paint look a LOT better

racerx
10-08-2005, 06:20 PM
Well, I thoroughly washed my car today, but before I waxed, I noticed that my paint just didn't reflect light the way I wished it would.

"Oh well, it'll look good after I wax," I pondered.

So, before waxing I used some "Scratch Out" to get rid of some small tar marks and a tiny scratch. Yeah, it totally shined up and smoothed out the paint. So I did it pretty much all over the car. :)

This is what I used:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/academyracer/ojjas_f1schotblowup.jpg

Here's my hood before:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/academyracer/paint/before1.jpg

Halfway shot:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/academyracer/paint/during1.jpg

After waxing the finished product:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/academyracer/paint/after1.jpg

And after I used an electronic buffer to touch things up:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/academyracer/paint/buffed.jpg
Not a big difference with the buffer...

Anyway, just thought you guys might like to know.
The pictures are of my 91 Prelude 4WS, in case anyone was confused.

88eyeguy
10-08-2005, 07:12 PM
Mmmmmm...scratch out is good stuff. I've used it before on my 240, and it's really effective.

I just can't seem to abandon the Meguiar's Paint Cleaner (Fine-Cut) though, I was raised on the stuff.

gp02a0083
10-08-2005, 07:13 PM
that scratchout stuff works very well with the corner lights , tails and the front plastic trim . with our cars if the paint is good , a good compound with a buffer will bring the paint back to new or better
i use products from Aradex very good stuff but expensive , i dont liek 3m products b/c they seem to have not as good results as others

A20A1
10-08-2005, 07:48 PM
Time to sand and respray the wiper blades. :)

Nice work.

Cheeseburger
10-08-2005, 08:07 PM
oh my god i cant tell a difference....lol... j/k it looks good how much dose it cost?

frankie89
10-08-2005, 08:52 PM
2.99 around my way and i got 2 bottles of it..

racerx
10-09-2005, 01:52 PM
Time to sand and respray the wiper blades. :)

You ain't kiddin. I think I might have to do that tomorrow as well. Maybe I'll take some pics.
I'm definately gonna use it on my fog light lenses now that someone mentioned it. that should look sweet!

gp02a0083
10-09-2005, 01:54 PM
i tolds yah the stuff works great on headlight , taillights , and any plastic also but dont use a buffer to do it , hand polishing it is good enough

Soundy
10-09-2005, 03:18 PM
Well, I thoroughly washed my car today, but before I waxed, I noticed that my paint just didn't reflect light the way I wished it would.

"Oh well, it'll look good after I wax," I pondered.

So, before waxing I used some "Scratch Out" to get rid of some small tar marks and a tiny scratch. Yeah, it totally shined up and smoothed out the paint. So I did it pretty much all over the car. :)

Here's my hood before:

Heheheh, I feel like I'm reading an infomercial :)

racerx
10-09-2005, 03:32 PM
i know... that's exactly what i thought the first time i read it... Just so everyone knows, that company doesn't sponser me or anything... :)

superaccord
10-09-2005, 08:43 PM
Rad. In the half shot you can really tell. Thanks for the info...Too bad it doesn't put paint back on the car.LOL Mine is starting to really look like Nates... :sad2:

Cheeseburger
10-09-2005, 08:52 PM
Rad. In the half shot you can really tell. Thanks for the info...Too bad it doesn't put paint back on the car.LOL Mine is starting to really look like Nates... :sad2:

ya i was hoping it would :sadwave:

halxi
10-09-2005, 08:56 PM

The paint peel brothers! BAHAHA :bowrofl:

man that looks clean, like matt said though. I wish it would fixe CRACKED paint with faded clearcoat lol. I may try it on some areas of my car that are better condition... i dunno, we will see *ponders*

gfrg88
10-09-2005, 09:10 PM
yeah my paint is starting peel too

racerx
10-09-2005, 10:38 PM
...Mine is starting to really look like Nates... :sad2:

:bowrofl: Nate, you know you're paint is pretty bad when....

halxi
10-10-2005, 09:17 PM
when everyone referrs their paint problems to "nates car"? :bowrofl:

Busted_Blue
10-10-2005, 10:30 PM
one of the best products to try out first is a claybar. If it is not too deep, it will already smooth it out. A cleaner wax followed by polish wax and then paste wax will definitely make the car shine a tad better. It works for me :)

w00tw00t111
10-12-2005, 04:16 PM
one of the best products to try out first is a claybar. If it is not too deep, it will already smooth it out. A cleaner wax followed by polish wax and then paste wax will definitely make the car shine a tad better. It works for me :)
Yeah I agree busted. When I did the acura the clay bar hardly did anything but remove tree sap. So for most of us just skip the step b/c it takes quite a bit of elbow greese. So then after seeing it not fix MY particular problem sooo I moved to a rough cut rubbing compound by meguirs. Then followed that up with a medium, then a fine. Then I used a polishing compound by meguirs as well. Then I topped it all of with meguirs NXT wax. Believe me the paint now looks better then it did when it came off the show room floor. Literally. It took a total of almost 21 hours. I gained a "cut" on my right arm from all the waxing off. So I'm proud of that :). The paint is beautiful and is definatley worth the time!

racerx
10-12-2005, 09:08 PM
got any pics of that madness?