PDA

View Full Version : 86/87 compared to 88/89 ECU, how can you tell them apart?

newaccorddriver
10-08-2005, 06:32 PM
like the topic says, i recently bought an ECU from a junkyard from an accord which was labelled '1990 pontiac tempest'(i kid you not, thats what it said). well, it was FI and it was standard, so i looked at how many O2 sensors there were. there was only 1(or atleast 1 that i could see). well, what im wondering is, since a majority of the FI accords here are 88/89, is there any chance i could have gotten the wrong ECU? i took the gauges and such from another accord that was from 86/87 one where the E-brake was labelled 'BRAKE' and it plugged perfectly into the one i took the ECU out of. if im not mistaken, the gauges between those 2 arent interchangeable. so am i safe?

EDIT: it would also help it someone can show me the 2 different plugs on the ECU's(if they are actually different in any way). one other thing, wheres the ECU on an 86-87 prelude? i flipped the seat back, and there was nothing

shepherd79
10-11-2005, 11:58 AM
well, if you took ecu from EFI 3geez and it had 1 O2 sensor, it is 86-87 accord. otherwise it would have 2 o2 sensors.
i am not sure how you can tell them apart. i guess just plug it in and see if it will work.

prelude ECU is located in the frame behind driver seat.
you will have to get to the back seat, and pull the plastic of the body panel on driver side. it is right there.

newaccorddriver
10-11-2005, 05:58 PM
well, if you took ecu from EFI 3geez and it had 1 O2 sensor, it is 86-87 accord. otherwise it would have 2 o2 sensors.
i am not sure how you can tell them apart. i guess just plug it in and see if it will work.

prelude ECU is located in the frame behind driver seat.
you will have to get to the back seat, and pull the plastic of the body panel on driver side. it is right there.

i took mine off a car with 1 O2 sensor, but i was skeptical about it cause its the first one ive seen like that, so i just wantedc to ask...