PDA

View Full Version : I just want to lower my car

86AccordLXsol
08-14-2002, 07:11 PM
Ok....i wanna lower my car aroun 2" or so..but i'm not any kind of a car expert. Where do i began and what all do i need? I know to get springs..but i don't understand the struts or camber kits!!!!Please help me

Jims 86LXI HB
08-14-2002, 11:13 PM
I'll try and recommend what to go with.

Springs: Suspension Techniques speed tech springs 2" drop $97 from www.nopionline.com or www.fastfours.com

Front struts: Koni Specials $207 from

http://www.autocarparts.com/search/results.php3?make=39&model=222&trim=283&cat=Suspension&subcat=Shocks

Rear struts: Tokico H.P.'s $109 from

http://www.autocarparts.com/search/results.php3?make=39&model=222&trim=283&cat=Suspension&subcat=Shocks

The tokicos aren't firm enough for duty in the front, the Koni's are.
If you'd rather run Koni's all the way around you can, the tokicos should be just fine in the rear and will save you some money.

Since you want to go with a drop that's lower than 1.5", you will need camber correction in the front, but not the rear. You can go to a junk yard and get some prelude (2nd gen?) control arms and some washers and adjust front camber that way. (look at some of the posts for prelude arms to see what they are all about). Or you can purchase the Eibach front camber kits, usually around $125 here's a link to buy them

http://www.autocarparts.com/search/results.php3?man=Eibach&make=39&model=222&trim=283

86AccordLXsol
08-15-2002, 06:51 PM
Thanks for all the info..i'll start saving!
if i only lower my casr 1.5" will i need the struts?

jigga225
08-15-2002, 08:11 PM
I just wanna say that I used the susp tech springs at first and all they did was made me mad. The car looked like it hadnt been lowered at all.

88Ex-i
08-15-2002, 08:22 PM
i have suspension tech springs, and my car looks nicely dropped. I've had no problems.....

Mike89Accordcom
08-15-2002, 09:12 PM
Jim couldn't have said more, nicely done Jim. Just get some decent springs, an alignment and a camber kit for the front.

Jims 86LXI HB
08-15-2002, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by 86AccordLXsol
Thanks for all the info..i'll start saving!
if i only lower my casr 1.5" will i need the struts?

I know why your asking, but the correct answer is no. All lowering springs, (even 1" drops) are stiffer and you need struts that are stiffer as well. The object isn't to have a stiff as hell ride, the koni's aren't that way, they are firm and can control the spring. Otherwise your car will bounce and have control issues. Running the Koni's will give you a ride that is much closer to how honda would have done it, if they offered a sport suspension option.

markmdz89hatch
08-16-2002, 08:36 AM
so just wondering.
I uderstand the need for a camber correction with a 2" drop, but why only in the front, and not in the rear as well?

Jims 86LXI HB
08-16-2002, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by markmdz89hatch
so just wondering.
I uderstand the need for a camber correction with a 2" drop, but why only in the front, and not in the rear as well?

Well thier is a ongoing debate between members on that subject.
Both groups sware they are correct. One group says you will need rear camber correction past a 2" drop. The other group sware's you never need rear camber correction no matter what the drop is. I'm inclined to side with the group that says you'll need it, but that's not a firm commitment.:rolleyes:

Not like a rock
09-22-2004, 11:44 PM
I just want to verify that tokico rears will be acceptable with suspension techniques 2" drop springs. I will get revalved bilstiens for the front. Is the ordering process for the revalves still the same as in the sticky?

maka_RTH
09-23-2004, 12:03 AM
yea, you can order your bilstiens that way. thats the way i did it. as for the tokicos in the rear, different people say different things. some say that it's still bouncy in the rear, but since the rear doesn't directly affect your steering, you may not notice it as much. i don't know, i'm not the expert, and jim is a suspension god. it you're trying to save money, you can get some koni fronts here (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=38189) i think the rears are already spoken for though. if money doesn't matter that much, then you couldn't go wrong using revalved bilstiens all the way around.