PDA

View Full Version : does power pass through the neutral safety switch?

newaccorddriver
10-09-2005, 08:10 AM
i was wondering if power passes through the neutral safety switch. im asking cause i wanted to get the plug for the clutch pedal and the wires on it seem pretty small, so im guessing they wont handle too much power at all, so i was wondering if power actually passes through it. i dont wanna let people start up my car without pushing in the pedals. on the 88/89 pedals there should be a switch on the clutch pedal which senses if its pushed in or not, theres 2 really small wires hooked up to it and it doesnt seem like they can handle much voltage at all. ill add an external push button switch if i have to though

PhydeauX
10-09-2005, 10:50 AM
On an A/T car the power passes directly through the neutral safety switch to the starter solenoid. On a M/T car the clutch switch closes a relay which lets current pass to the starter solenoid. Don't ask me specificaly how to set it all up on a 3g but thats the jist of how the system works.

andy

newaccorddriver
10-09-2005, 05:33 PM
On an A/T car the power passes directly through the neutral safety switch to the starter solenoid. On a M/T car the clutch switch closes a relay which lets current pass to the starter solenoid. Don't ask me specificaly how to set it all up on a 3g but thats the jist of how the system works.

andy

hmm, my friends 95 prelude went through a 5 speed swap and he had a neutral safety thing in his clutch... i wonder how they did that.

well, i took a look at the plug for the pedals, and i took a look at the wiring, apparently its like 18 gauge wiring, do you think it can handle the current?(im guessing its a no, but its worth asking)

is it on any level possible to hook up a neutral safety switch though? somebody should write a how-to for this

newaccorddriver
10-09-2005, 06:35 PM
dont hate me cause i dont know this, but... im not sure what a relay looks like, but would it happen to be like a box with 4 wires coming out of it, 2 to the clutch pedal, and 2 to the neutral safety thing, and when you depress the pedal, it will complete the starter curcuit? id like to buy one of those if it is just to be safe...

newaccorddriver
10-10-2005, 09:36 PM
what im wondering is, how much current actually passes through the neutral safety switch on the automatic shifter console. im asking cause i wanna add a pushbutton switch there so i have to push the button AND turn it to the start position. anybody know how to do this?

A20A1
10-10-2005, 11:24 PM
your threads were very simmilar so I merged them.

I assume any "Push buttom starter switch" ment for automotive ignition starting will handle the current.
don't get anything rated less then that.

POS carb
10-11-2005, 08:38 AM
power flows through the a/t wires, it's a decent ammount of juice. The problem with the swap I had is that the circuit is complete until someone pushes the clutch, basically forcing you to have the clutch out. You can solve this with a relay.
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/relay.htm

newaccorddriver
10-11-2005, 05:55 PM

I assume any "Push buttom starter switch" ment for automotive ignition starting will handle the current.

thanks for merging the threads :), i didnt know they were that similar...

so... i was planning on using a push button starter as the neutral safety switch in the event i cant hook one up for the clutch... i dont think anybodys really tried(or even cared about) adding a neutral safety switch with their clutch as most people just ignore it

newaccorddriver
stupid double post

newaccorddriver
stupid triple post

newaccorddriver
10-11-2005, 05:56 PM
its not me... its the server thats doing it...

newaccorddriver
10-11-2005, 06:42 PM

thanks for merging the threads :), i didnt know they were that similar...

so... i was planning on using a push button starter as the neutral safety switch in the event i cant hook one up for the clutch... i dont think anybodys really tried(or even cared about) adding a neutral safety switch with their clutch as most people just ignore it

newaccorddriver
10-12-2005, 07:28 PM
anybody think i can just hook up the 2 neutral safety wires to the clutch pedal? or do i need something between them?

POS carb
10-13-2005, 10:43 AM
like i said, the clutch switch breaks the circuit when you push the clutch in so if you hook them up to the clutch switch thee car will only start when the clutch is not pressed. You need a relay to fix this or adapt a brake switch to the clutch pedal.
When I had the auto I modified a Prelude pistol grip with the "S3" switch to fit and I used the S3 button as the safety switch

newaccorddriver
10-13-2005, 06:20 PM
like i said, the clutch switch breaks the circuit when you push the clutch in so if you hook them up to the clutch switch thee car will only start when the clutch is not pressed. You need a relay to fix this or adapt a brake switch to the clutch pedal.
When I had the auto I modified a Prelude pistol grip with the "S3" switch to fit and I used the S3 button as the safety switch

hmm... can you draw a rough diagram of how this would work? i kinda understand what your saying, but how do i send a low current to the relay with those 2 wires? ground one and the other one to a positive connection?

a diagram or something that explains how to wire it up would be a nice touch... ill be hitting the junkyard within a fwe days, any suggestions on what ill be needing?

newaccorddriver
10-14-2005, 07:46 PM

what was the pistol grip or S3 switch?