PDA

View Full Version : does it matter which starter i use after a swap?

newaccorddriver
10-09-2005, 05:44 PM
like the title says, i know the how-to didnt say anything about needing a new starter, but i thought id just ask anyways. im asking this cause the the manual one uses a flywheel while the auto uses a ring gear built into the torque converter. unless those 2 have equally spaced tooths and are the same diameter, im not sure. and majestichonda says their both different part numbers

A20A1
10-09-2005, 06:01 PM
Well they are the same, the body that bolts to the trans is different. So you unbolt the starter from the auto housing and then bolt the manual housing to the starter, that way the starter fits on the manual trans.

I've done it before when I gave my spare auto starter to someone using a manual trans.

newaccorddriver
10-09-2005, 06:11 PM
Well they are the same, the body that bolts to the trans is different. So you unbolt the starter from the auto housing and then bolt the manual housing to the starter, that way the starter fits on the manual trans.

I've done it before when I gave my spare auto starter to someone using a manual trans.

so i have to use the housing from the manual tranny then?

im not completely sure i get what your saying...

A20A1
10-09-2005, 06:19 PM
yeah the starter is in a few pieces... so you remove the part that bolts to the transmission from the auto starter and use a manual starter housing... assuming you have a manual starter housing. If not you need to find one.

I think majestic calls it the "gear cover"

newaccorddriver
10-09-2005, 06:25 PM
its probably a good thing to add to the how-to