PDA

View Full Version : passed smog. in your face, CA!

Strugglebucket
10-10-2005, 02:17 PM
yup, i was nervous but my car pulled it off. even with the cam regrind, aluminum flywheel, and teg gears i passed CA smog II with flying colors.

the funniest part was the technician killing the engine about 5 or 6 times when he had to drive it:lol:

bobafett
10-10-2005, 03:56 PM
nice. gives me some hope... lol car failed BAD before, but valve guides are gone, so it smokes like mad. i should post up my numbers, they are pretty funny. im killing the environment really really fast right now. :)

cam is about the only thign i can see affecting your emissions. as long as you dont have test pipe or high flow cat, and you havent gutted a lot of your emissions stuff, you should be ok

Strugglebucket
10-10-2005, 04:23 PM
this was with a catco cat on, but i'm pretty sure it works better than the stock one. or at least a 16yr old stock one.

i had my accel coil and msd sci hooked up too, but they're both legal. i can't wait to put the good stuff back on; i have niether I nor H nor E right now:(

Oldblueaccord
10-12-2005, 10:01 PM
yup, i was nervous but my car pulled it off. even with the cam regrind, aluminum flywheel, and teg gears i passed CA smog II with flying colors.

the funniest part was the technician killing the engine about 5 or 6 times when he had to drive it:lol:

lol cheater !!

good deal.

wp

mkymonkey
10-12-2005, 10:20 PM
cool, gives me hope as well, i have to smog it pretty soon. i should pass with no probs but i mean it has the carb sticker on the intake and youre right the msd coil is legal so i should have no prob. pretty cool that you passed!!!

frankie89
10-13-2005, 05:08 PM
im so glad i live in pa...all them test dont apply here... just my .02 haha

Strugglebucket
05-31-2007, 11:39 PM
Had to take smog again today. It hasn't even been 2 years yet!:rant:
Once again, the technician succeeded in stalling my car at least 6 times during the test. I also had to show him how to properly check the timing (he told me me timing was off, but it was because he hadn't plugged the vac advance).

I passed (in your face again, CA), but it was pretty close this time. At 25mph my CO was 0.61% out of an allowable 0.66%. And at 15 mph my NO was kinda high too, at 806ppm out of a max of 815ppm. Only thing I can think of is either my compression is on the way out, or the accel injectors i put in are richening things up a lot more than i thought.

Civic Accord Honda
05-31-2007, 11:53 PM
yay u passed

Pico
06-01-2007, 03:53 AM
Cool, I cant wait to see how mine does when the time comes.

MessyHonda
06-01-2007, 07:42 AM
congrats.

frantik
06-01-2007, 01:29 PM
i got my registration renewal recently...... NO SMOG for me i was happy. glad u passed dude :thumbup: I read somewhere they keep track of the cars which are close to not passing and make them come back more often so maybe thats why you had to come back so soon :dunno:

MessyHonda
06-01-2007, 02:19 PM
i got my registration renewal recently...... NO SMOG for me i was happy. glad u passed dude :thumbup: I read somewhere they keep track of the cars which are close to not passing and make them come back more often so maybe thats why you had to come back so soon :dunno:

its every 2 years...

Strugglebucket
06-01-2007, 07:06 PM
on my dmv form it did say, "reason for test: high emitter profile".

i don't know if by "profile" they mean my car is old, or that i'm 6'1" and have two dogs and a cat?

frantik
06-01-2007, 07:09 PM
its every 2 years...

yeah but struggle said he had to come back sooner :dunno:

i think high emitter profile just means are cars are old

MessyHonda
06-01-2007, 07:35 PM
yeah but struggle said he had to come back sooner :dunno:

i think high emitter profile just means are cars are old
OH man...that sucks.....my dx passed with a .65 when the limit was .66 i got very close.

newaccorddriver
06-01-2007, 07:43 PM
when i get my accord up and running, id love to get smog tested just for kicks even though we dont do them up here. ive got no cat, no EGR, basically nothing to clean up anything coming out of my motor. ill be having the typical intake, header and exhaust.

1ajs
06-01-2007, 08:02 PM
Had to take smog again today. It hasn't even been 2 years yet!:rant:
Once again, the technician succeeded in stalling my car at least 6 times during the test. I also had to show him how to properly check the timing (he told me me timing was off, but it was because he hadn't plugged the vac advance).

I passed (in your face again, CA), but it was pretty close this time. At 25mph my CO was 0.61% out of an allowable 0.66%. And at 15 mph my NO was kinda high too, at 806ppm out of a max of 815ppm. Only thing I can think of is either my compression is on the way out, or the accel injectors i put in are richening things up a lot more than i thought.

owtch thats cuting it a little close i would for your sake of future headaches look into why its so close... guys be thankfull they have emissions or your air would just be like in mexico city..........

Estimated Prophet
06-01-2007, 09:13 PM
cam is about the only thign i can see affecting your emissions.

Not sure about California but in Georgia the technician puts the car in first and maintains 25 & 15mph. With his teg gears the engine was revved higher and most likely emitting more emissions.

Great to hear you passed, that's encouraging.

bushbean
06-04-2007, 11:54 AM
What is the penalty for driving a car without a valid smog inspection?

My buddy has been driving a Camaro with an expired vehicle inspection sticker--expired by 3 years. Luckily, he has not been pulled over. He absolutely knows it won't pass, and thinks the cost to repair the emission trouble would exceed the value of the car, so doesn't even bother.

Strugglebucket
06-04-2007, 12:01 PM
most likely they'll tow the car on the spot. maybe throw in a beating or two.

2ndGenGuy
06-04-2007, 12:26 PM
God I love no emissions. I just hollowed out my cat until I can afford to throw down for a nice high-flow cat. Those things get mega-clogged and stinky after 23 years... EGR is gone, Air Suction, O2 sensor, stock carb, anything to do with emissions is bye-bye on my car too. It's pure hot-rod style Honda action.

Pico
06-07-2007, 08:19 PM
Just got my registration notice today and I have to smog it at a test only station :wtf:
I got to call in some favors from the shops that I know

BITESIZE
06-07-2007, 08:26 PM
Just got my registration notice today and I have to smog it at a test only station :wtf:
I got to call in some favors from the shops that I know

Are you doing it with the pacesetter on?

Pico
06-07-2007, 08:28 PM
Are you doing it with the pacesetter on?
only if I can get someone I know to do the smog for me, I just got off the phone with a friend who say's he knows someone

frantik
06-07-2007, 09:23 PM

:Owned: that sucks especially since u just put the headers on :thumbdn:

Strugglebucket
06-08-2007, 12:41 AM
only if I can get someone I know to do the smog for me, I just got off the phone with a friend who say's he knows someone
you can't use the egr with your header?

frantik
06-08-2007, 01:43 AM
i dont think he has carb stickers for the header or cai

Pico
06-08-2007, 06:28 AM
you can't use the egr with your header?
Everythings hooked up it's like frantik said I dont have any CARB stickers for anything except my bypass.
But I think I'll be ok, I'll find out this weekend if the place my friend knows will be able to do the smog

Stock89LXi
06-08-2007, 07:37 PM
It wasn't even 2 yrs for me & I had to go to a "test-only" station. The DMV form had "high emitter" profile on it. I called DMV up in Sacramento (it had only been 1 year!) & asked why I had to do a "test-only" again so soon :rant: And the DMV lady said it's normally a 2-yr interval but 30% of California vehicles are picked at random to get a "test-only." Yeah?!? My emissions numbers are VERY VERY LOW -- WA-A-AY below the passing standards but I guess because they expect an 18-year-old vehicle to pollute...It's a conspiracy!! lol