PDA

View Full Version : Freakin water!

3rdgenhatchDX
10-10-2005, 04:38 PM
i own an 87 hatch dx, theres water in my spare wheel well, it settles there and i can't find where its coming from... i've searched and everybody and their brother has this problem but nobody posts where their water is coming from... help me fix this and show me where yours is leaking from. :)

3gn86lxi
10-10-2005, 04:42 PM
i own an 87 hatch dx, theres water in my spare wheel well, it settles there and i can't find where its coming from... i've searched and everybody and their brother has this problem but nobody posts where their water is coming from... help me fix this and show me where yours is leaking from. :)
It's your taillights.

3rdgenhatchDX
10-16-2005, 11:02 AM
How do i fix it?

MrBen
10-16-2005, 11:51 AM
Either that or the gasket around the trunklid is shot or dirty. Try cleaning it and getting all the debris out of the trunk gasket area.

3gn86lxi
10-16-2005, 06:14 PM
Unbolt your tail lights and see what the gaskets look like. Are they dried up and or flat and brittle? I am not sure if that is someting you can buy from Honda....but you could call to find out.
Whatever you do, DO NOT use silicone to seal the lights!!!! Instant rust.
I used a 3M product to seal mine, it's an autoglass sealer for gaskets called bedding compound, or true butel.

bobafett
10-16-2005, 06:21 PM
also pull the drain plug out and clean it out... i had 1" of standing water in my car, and i noticed my drain plug was blocked. i took it out and knocked the rocks out of it, and now at least any water that leaks in will go right back out!

3gn86lxi
10-16-2005, 08:49 PM
also pull the drain plug out and clean it out... i had 1" of standing water in my car, and i noticed my drain plug was blocked. i took it out and knocked the rocks out of it, and now at least any water that leaks in will go right back out!
LOL!!!!

gp02a0083
10-16-2005, 09:25 PM
yah had that happen before , take the taillights out , clean the area with anything like prep-all and then where the gasket was make a bead of scilicone around the lights and then place the gasket back on and then the taillight , and its done

3gn86lxi
10-17-2005, 11:05 AM
take the taillights out , clean the area with anything like prep-all and then where the gasket was make a bead of scilicone around the lights and then place the gasket back on and then the taillight , and its done
be very carefull with silicone!!! It will make your car rust if you use it on the body of the car.

POS carb
10-17-2005, 02:42 PM
there are 2 main entry points, one is the lights, the other is usually underneath the trunk lid at the weatherstripping, it collects debris and rust
I went to the junker and pulled the tails off a car (4 8mm nuts each) and I took the gaskets off (you gotta be careful, most are completely destroyed by now) and I looked around for a weatherstip on a car with a clean trunk. It all cost me about $10 at the u-pick
And ya, there is a drain plug on the floor, I've washed my trunk before!

3rdgenhatchDX
10-18-2005, 11:45 AM
Some body post up a pic of this drain plug cuz i'm about ready to drill a hole or maybe 2 to drain the water out when it comes in... it's pissing me off, everytime it rains it has a puddle...:stupid:

bobafett
10-18-2005, 11:51 AM
lift up your spare tire. it is right underneath. :) slightly behind the center of where the wheel would be. :)

gp02a0083
10-18-2005, 06:19 PM
be very carefull with silicone!!! It will make your car rust if you use it on the body of the car.

forgot to mention regular silicone will cause premature paint failure as 3gn mentioned , however i forgot to say aquarium , it worked well on my other hatch for over a year i think with no signs of paint failure

3rdgenhatchDX
10-22-2005, 06:17 AM
Okay cool well i'm taking it all apart on sunday, and we'll see where the leak is... since its fall up here i hope i don't find any leaves back in my spare tire well :bowrofl:

The standing water is not a nice thing... but neither is the leaky sunroof...:sad2:

3rdgenhatchDX
10-26-2005, 02:18 PM
so this is weird... it rained really hard last week, the thing didn't fill up not a drop was in there...:sad2: however the damn sunroof is missing a screw so it leaks like a mofo! :bowrofl: pissed all over the girlfriend on a left turn... she was :mad: anyway, i don't have drain tubes like you guys say... i looked and looked and i dunno if i have an aftermarket sunroof or what i'll get some pix and post em up tomorrow morning... anybody know the screw size on a stock manual sunroof?

Ludi Mali
10-27-2005, 01:41 PM
i have a similar problem with my sunroof. The rear drain lines are blocked so If I park on a hill where the front of my car is above teh rear i get drenched when I hit the next stop light. any easy way to clear those out?

Ace
10-27-2005, 01:50 PM
I had water in my trunk come to find out the bottom is all rotted out LOL Time for some Bondo for now

3rdgenhatchDX
11-01-2005, 12:56 PM
well since i found out the sunroof is aftermarket i'm not too pleased with the job done, it sux but i got the weather stripping all in and after tonight i'm gonna test it out, if it leaks i'll be siliconing every open nook and cranny i see, fuck it, i'll dip the whole car if i have to.

lostforawhile
11-01-2005, 05:43 PM
you'll have more sillycone then Pamela Anderson, good luck.

3rdgenhatchDX
11-07-2005, 02:22 PM
heheh i'll beat pamela anderson before its over i'm sure... damn car.:kekeke:

Cant Stop
11-13-2005, 06:20 PM
as for the tail lights i used bath room caulk to fix any leaks. as for the sunroof vents you need to get a air sprayer ( air chuck) and attach a piece of 1/4" or smaller tubing on it preferably copper and slide it in near the drain and blast it out most cars have 4 drain holes 2 in the front and 2 in the back.

3rdgenhatchDX
11-14-2005, 12:56 PM
Cant stop: i've already said that my sunroof is aftermarket so i don't have drain tubes at all... thanx though!

lostforawhile
11-14-2005, 08:15 PM
:) yea best thing to do is rip oit that old crappy sunroof and instal a new one with all new seals and stuff. get one that won't go out of buisness tomorrow,like lund.

3rdgenhatchDX
11-16-2005, 01:05 PM
Okay so i was driving the hatch this morning and i look in my rear view mirror, and son-of-a-bitch! its the top of my hatch thats leaking! so now i need to toss a car cover over it when i'm in florida, then i'll fix it when i get back although it'll be covered in snow :D so i'll have to wait until summer... damn.

Cant Stop
11-16-2005, 08:43 PM
where in florida? you can always fix it down here

A18A
11-16-2005, 08:53 PM
drill a hole in the bottom so it can leak out

lostforawhile
11-16-2005, 09:14 PM
you mean like in a rowboat?then it might sink:uh:you better fix that leak quick or your next mod will be fish

XBoom135
11-16-2005, 09:53 PM
Rice & fish......hmmm. Add a little wasabe and enjoy! A syringe and a good blast of water through the tube usally works on most blockages. You can get big ones at Tractor Supply or feed places if you have those around. Anyplace that deals with farm animals and supplies really. But I'm in Kansas so....good luck. Stray away from the compressed air though, screws up the drain tubes and makes them leak if the blockage doesn't exit quickly enough.

3rdgenhatchDX
11-29-2005, 02:08 PM
oh didn't drive it to fla. needs headgasket... was under the tarp for all of the 9 days dry as a bone on return :D anyways um no i won't be drilling any holes.

touring 1
01-02-2006, 09:17 PM
Yikles, cold water down my neck! Parked with it facing uphill in the driveway, and when I backed her out, i got woke up quick? Anybody have a good tip for cleanign out the rear drain holes? i think i have to remove the headliner. Thx.

Cant Stop
01-03-2006, 07:52 PM
i used kitchen and bath caulk on my tail lights with the old gaskets worked like a charm.
and its a latex based product so no volitile reactions to metal.

Cant Stop
01-03-2006, 07:54 PM
try a long piece of wire or a air hose with a long thin piece of copper on a air chuck so you can reach in there.

touring 1
01-03-2006, 08:56 PM
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=47864&highlight=moon+roof

had the answer to the "leaking" moonroof problem. clogged drain tips. a lot of water came out, but not as much as went down my neck and my crotch today when I left work, after an all day seatle rain. Will see in thenext couple days if there is a clog in the top of the inlet to the drain tubes.
What a great search engine and bunch of contributors this board has.

3rdgenhatchDX
01-24-2006, 12:49 PM
Okay so the guy at one body shop so far has said it'll be $300 to be welded shut...:wtf: should it be that much???