PDA

View Full Version : Help Tranny A/t Prob!!!!

NastyNate
10-10-2005, 06:27 PM
ok i just put in a new tranny in my 89 accord LXi thinking that was the problem! now its still doing the same thing.

i can start it fine and drive down the road and it seems not to shift right but then after a few min all the gears stop working the car stays running and will not go no where. i cut the car off for a min or 2 and then all the gears will work agian and this keeps repeating its self till i get to were i'm going!

i thought that maybe it was the ECU but the check engine light is not on! and also the ECU clock fuse was poped under the hood, i replaced it and the problem still happens. anyone know what mite be wrong?

please help me i have invested too much money in this car to let it die!

gfrg88
10-10-2005, 06:40 PM
im thinking it might need transmission oil, or maybe your oil cooler isnt working properly since you say after you turn it off and let it cool for a while it works good again, not sure if that could be it though :dunno:

NastyNate
10-10-2005, 06:47 PM
when i let it cool i'm talking less than a min. not time enough to even cool down. ????? though could a vacum leak cause this or the ECU? even though there is no vac lines or plugs on the tranny?

NastyNate
10-10-2005, 07:18 PM
and one other thing about the tranny level now do you check the level by screewing the dip stick in and checking it or just dipping it in and checking it ?

ok nm lmol i just read the shop manual you don't screw the dipstick back in you just dip it. lol

still would the tranny fuid being only that low make a differ?

NastyNate
10-10-2005, 07:37 PM
Also now that i installed the new tranny the power stearing does not work at all! could the speed sencer asimbaly on the tranny be cousing this? or even that i manualy turned the tires wile it was lifted?

also i now have coolant leaking out from the back of the engine behind the water pump!!!!!

not to mention that i now noticed a broken moter mount on the driver side on the engine and its brock at the braket were it bolts on the engine and a bolt is broke off in the engine block also the top of the brket brock the place were the screw bolts in the block.... this i think i will get welded on!

so in other words please someone help me with the tranny the rest besides the power stearing i think i can fix :uh:

i think this car has :Owned2: me!

A20A1
10-10-2005, 11:27 PM
You don't screw in the dipstick to check the oil level.

Run the car, warm it up and then shut the car off... run out and burn your hand on the trans trying to check the oil level. Thats what I do.

here is a thread I made on Auto Trans Adjustment and checking fluid.
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=40885

A20A1
10-10-2005, 11:34 PM
Do you have the oil cooler lines from the transmission connected to the radiator.

Actually if you have a coolant leak you may have cooling (Overheating problems)

Don't rely on the gauge in the car, the coolant temp gauge stops working right if coolant isn't flowing or is low.

Anywho, if you're coolant system isn't working then chances are it wont be cooling your trans fluid either.

So I would fix any leaks and make sure your
-Water pump
-Fans
-Fan thermo-switch
-thermostat

all are working.

POS carb
10-11-2005, 08:11 AM
1 make sure the tranny does not have oil that looks like metal-flake paint
2 make sure it has enough fluid. Engine/trans cold, level, in park. Don't screw in the dipstick
if it's neither of these pray that its a clog in the oil cooler. You can actually test this by putting an inline glass fuel filter (the thick ones with metal ends) and look at the fluid flow. if its standing still the lines are plugged or your torque converter is shot
remove the filter after your test, it's only meant for low psi

NastyNate
10-11-2005, 11:37 AM
i will check these things and get back.

i don't think its the to. converter i canged it and the leaking started after i changed the tranny out.

and the other tranny did this same thing so i'm hoping its the clog in the oil cooler i'm going to try hooking a air line up to the outlet on the oil cooler and blowing the clog out the inlet (hopping there is a clog that is)

i'm also going to ckeck that the water pump and therm is working.

thank u for the help

also the tranny oil level is low i was screwing the dip stick in oops! i will fix that first and then see if that works!

shepherd79
10-11-2005, 12:14 PM
one more thing, you don't need to post twice to get the respond to your question.
you may want to take your car to AAMCO

NastyNate
10-11-2005, 12:20 PM
well to reply to the aamco thing i came here for help not a rude answer!

and second i posted on the other place by acident i ment to have it posted here. with no way to del my mistake i'm left with 2 posts. and the other i havn't even checked. but thank u.

aamco messed my 94 honda up i tolk it in for a filter and oil change on my tranny and they ended up messing my tranny up to the point i had to replace it.

also i'm running very low on funs so fixxing it my self is all i can do at this time :sad2:

POS carb
10-11-2005, 01:05 PM
wow everyone here likes to get bitchy
:bong:
yo just make sure the fluid is level or new (it may be original!lol), these trannys are very simple, if the problem can't be solved by swapping the fluids then its time for a new one.
There's always a 5-speed swap!

NastyNate
10-11-2005, 02:17 PM
wow ok now this car is about to tick me off now....

ok thermistat was bad......changed it!
water pump good
oil cooler working...... both hoses are worm
oil level was toped off! oops 2 qurts low.... outch

now for the best news for the day!!!! power stearing was just low on fluid!

ok now even better news ............ i have water in the tranny fluid!

could this couse it to slip? and how do i get it out?

and also sorry for my temper i am in a very bad mood finding out someone hurt my little girl and the cops are taking there time to do something about it and not telling me anything!

A20A1
10-11-2005, 02:22 PM
water in tranny fluid means your radiator is leaking... well actually the leak is internal... the pipe that runs under the radiator is leaking trans fluid into the radiator and radiator fluid into the trans.

You may need to replace you radiator with a new auto trans radiator.

NastyNate
10-11-2005, 02:35 PM
after replacing the radiator how would i go about getting all the water out of the tranny.... also is the water in the tranny cousing it to slip a little?

and thank u man for your help! :bowrofl:

POS carb
10-12-2005, 02:24 PM
yes!!!
You can
1 buy a new radiator
2 plug the stock radiator oil lines buy a seperate oil cooler

either way you MUST change the fluid at least 2 times or you will burn up the clutch packs among other crappy possibilities

NastyNate
10-12-2005, 03:55 PM
new thermistat
new radiator
new tranny junk yard "checked"
new tq. converter junk yard "checked"
changed oil in trany 4 times and now it slipps like hell then compleatly dies

few "?"z i do have a broken moter mount! that would not hurt the tranny? (its the driver side moter mount)

and the tranny fluid is still pink just not as pink! i'm talking like cream saver pink!

this car is about to resive a forsale sign!!!:mad:

NastyNate
10-12-2005, 03:57 PM
BTW i hate automatic cars!

89ACCORDVTECH
10-12-2005, 09:31 PM
:rockon:
and one other thing about the tranny level now do you check the level by screewing the dip stick in and checking it or just dipping it in and checking it ?

ok nm lmol i just read the shop manual you don't screw the dipstick back in you just dip it. lol

still would the tranny fuid being only that low make a differ?
dont screw it in u get a false fluid reading. My car was doing this for a while, check the level and condition of the fluid and smell it also to see if it is burnt if it smell funny you might be headed towards a new torque converter,speaking of torque converter did you fill it before you put the tranny in?just an idea if not you just have to much or to little fluid all automatics are all hydrodynamiclly operated which helps it shift 1 qaurt will make a big difference.one more thing if the tranny was completely drain when you got it you would need 6.7 quarts of atf

NastyNate
10-13-2005, 07:26 AM
ok the tranny was drained but i made sure it was full it tolk me 6 qurts

the tq. converter had fluid in it about a half a quart so that it didn't drip in my face wile putting it in. lol

the level and all i have checked is just getting all the damn water out of the tranny how it got there i have no idea but as procaution i did replace the radiator

today i'm going to make sure that the cooler lines are not pluged that is the only thing i forgot to check

though when it slipps the fluid is only warm when i drain it!

i'm thinking that a nice car bomb and a remot starter would be something fun to see if the car does not act right!

POS carb
10-13-2005, 10:04 AM
the torque converter will still have water in it, you need to keep running fresh oil (change it once a day) until it comes out clean.
There is no way to introduce water into the tranny unless the radiator cooler is leaking or your tranny is missing a huge chunk of the case or you drove it underwater!!!!

NastyNate
10-13-2005, 01:09 PM
i have finily given up i ran 4 gl. of tranny fluid through the tranny and the fluid is finily red agian and i'm still having probs......

i found a 1988 honda accord 2 door 5 speed man. car

only thing wrong with it is the engine is blown tranny is good and its got a brand new cluch in it so i'm going to convert my LXi to a 5 speed somthing i should do anyhow!

anyone know something i should befor i start this convertion?

POS carb
10-13-2005, 01:16 PM
you'll need the m/t driver side axle
you'll need the m/t rear mount bracket
you'll need the m/t starter bracket or entire assembly
the pedal assembly has razor sharp edges
now is a good time for new motor mounts!

NastyNate
10-13-2005, 01:41 PM
ya the car i'm buying should have all that on it all ready and the motermounts on my car are new all but the one that is brock but to fix it all i need to do is back a bolt out of the engine block and rebolt it back up

the i'm buying the hole car with the m/t tranny so i should just be able to get all the parts off that car

right?

NastyNate
10-13-2005, 01:53 PM
o and one last thing i can reuse my driverside axil? (driver side axil is the same wether a/t or m/t?)

and for the time till i get some more money i'll reuse the pass axil on the new car i'm buying

O and once i'm done with the 1988 honda accord coupe who wants whats left of it :) lol free if you pick it up! richmond Va. looking around 2 weeks from now till i'll be through with it . i'm taking the ball joints and shit off it tranny shifter and center cons., the front end "headlight housings mine was in a wreck" other than the all the seats windows triming and crap will be left alone with the rear axil and all the engine! engine is blown though and i'll find out tomorrow if its Fi or carb!

POS carb
10-13-2005, 02:18 PM
actually I f'd up, it's the driver axle you need, the pax is the same
I only changed my pax side b/c the boots were ripped
I drove around with the driver a/t axle for a few days until it popped out of the tranny on the highway @ 90 mph

NastyNate
10-13-2005, 02:20 PM
outch eather way i had bought 2 new a/t axiles and the car has 2 good m/t axils.. so bad thing is i can't take the a/t ones back now that i installed them :(

BTW the car is a Fi 1988 honda accord coupe with a hole in the block from a over rev LMOL so any parts on the top are good!

POS carb
10-13-2005, 03:47 PM
just take them back and be like "I asked for m/t!!! F*#%!!" :)

NastyNate
10-13-2005, 05:19 PM
LOL..... i wish i could but the lady knows i was working on a auto trany becouse i priced the tranny there. :) but i'm going to sell the a/t axils and the left over parts from the 88 accord on ebay. unless someone here needs then i'll probly sell them a little cheaper for all the help i have gotten.

i'm sure someone needs to upgrade from carb to Fi and i'll have all the parts for that i'll just have to clean it all up!

BTW i saw you link to your car that is a sweet job on the body :)
i mite have to bring you my car lol i need get the front fixed my head lights sorta point in at eachother. i think that the front fram will just bolt off then back on i'm hoping so!

logic
10-20-2005, 04:35 PM
outch eather way i had bought 2 new a/t axiles and the car has 2 good m/t axils.. so bad thing is i can't take the a/t ones back now that i installed them :(
BTW the car is a Fi 1988 honda accord coupe with a hole in the block from a over rev LMOL so any parts on the top are good!

Nate,

You still got the cam?? I need a 88-89 LX-i auto cam. The one out of your parts car is for a manual. You need the maual cam for your car so sell me the cam out of your engine!!!

NastyNate
10-20-2005, 06:55 PM
the cam? the cam in the A/T and M/T are the same.
in the swap you don't change the engine in any way just the tranny and you take the tq. converter off. i can take the camshaft off the donner car's engine and sell it to you. or the hole head. but dbl check that you need that first.

POS carb
10-21-2005, 07:50 AM
the cams are very similar but technically they have different lift measurements, i dunno why honda would do that without a reason, however I didn't change my cam for this swap

thx for the props, it took me a while to get it close, the body shop finished up for me b/c I was a NOOB and forgot some necessary clips, anchors, and other little stuff. That was my first attempt at fixing a car other than little stuff like plugs and wires etc

The headlight assemblies have shims to adjust their positions and there are 2 screws to point the lens inside, you can get some at the junkyard free

NastyNate
10-21-2005, 09:44 AM
o ok then i stand corected on that but no i havn't taken my cam outa my car and don't plan on it for a wile sorry bud.

POS carb : ya hay the thing is you atempted it. i'm about to take the whole front off my donner car and put it on my car to get the front end straight. i have it all planed out its just getting off my ass to do it :) sucks working on a car alone i like to talk to much.

1OFAKIND87
02-02-2006, 10:02 PM
im thinking it might need transmission oil, or maybe your oil cooler isnt working properly since you say after you turn it off and let it cool for a while it works good again, not sure if that could be it though :dunno:
My 87' Accord DX (automatic-carb) slipp'd on me in morning traffic once. I turned it off for a minute or two, started her back up and continued driving, and everything seemed to be fine until the gears slipp'd all over again. Come to find out, I had red transmission fluid all over the ground under my car and ended up needing a brand new transmission. I wasnt too mad though, considering she has 336,000 miles on the odometer. She'll be out in a couple of weeks, and ready to run another 336-thow.