PDA

View Full Version : B20A5 flywheel on JDM B20A, Possible problems

carotman
10-10-2005, 07:32 PM
Ok guys, I seem to be having some problems with my B20A5 flywheel. I really noticed the problem this week. I may be wrong but read carefully and just tell me what you think of this.
Since the B20A swap, I took the car out only every 2 weeks or so. Most of the time the battery was just below the ideal charge to start the car and the starter would just make a click sound but wouldn't turn. Each time it did that, I would just jump start the car and usually it would be fine.
Lately, I was experiencing the problem even with a good battery. I then thought it was the starter that was on it's last miles. I had to hit the starter with a hammer to make the car start sometimes. I just thought the starter started to stick and that was it.
Last week, I tried to rebuild my starter but had no luck, I then replaced it with a freshly rebuilt unit. SAME problem. I could hear the solenoid click but the starter motor itself isn't turning. I removed the starter from the car ans tested it in a table vice. Every time I put power to it, it would stick out (solenoid is working) and the motor turns like a champ.
When I put it back in the car, same thing. The solenoid clicks but the motor doesn't turn. I replaced the starter ground and power wires with a 4ga unit so it's not the problem.
I then noticed that if I put the car in gear and move it a little, then try to start the engine, it would turn right away. Since I replaced the power cables, it turns even better then before. The problem isn't always there and every time it does it, I just need to move the car a little to make it work fine.
Here's my theory:
The B20A5 flywheel ring gear sticks out of the engine for about 1cm (in fact, it'S the width of the ring gear itself). If the gear stick out more, it's closer to the starter. Sometimes, the starter would hit the gear before the solenoid has got out enough to make the motor turn. This is why I can only hear the click sound from the solenoid. If I turn the flywheel a bit by moving the car, the ring gear and the starter gear align properly and the starter can work fine.
Do you guys thing I'm on the right track? I wish I'm way out but I'm confident that I found the source of the problem.... a bad gear offset.

thegreatdane
10-11-2005, 08:30 AM
You should try making a small spacer for the starter and see if that solves the problem, maybe just ghetto rig it with some washers at first to space it out a little.
What you're thinking makes sense, since youre saying that only hitting it with a hammer would make it engage even though the solenoid was working fine.

Is the B20A5 flywheel just as tall as the stock B20A flywheel?

I'd like to get a fidanza B20A5 flywheel myself, so this is good info.

carotman
10-11-2005, 08:41 AM
The flywheel is exactly the same except that the ring gear offset is different.

I thought about a solenoid spacer too. I'll see what is the easiest thing to do.

FyreDaug
10-20-2005, 07:11 AM
Yeah man, spacer is the way to go. Use something washer size even, thats more than enough. Its early and I cant explain this right, but the teeth sticking out on the starter and the flywheel both have the "out tooth" at the same spot. So like you said it hit its and clicks, but if the wheel is moved over slightly it engages fine. Its probably just the way the resting position of it is. Its a b20 starter right?

carotman
10-21-2005, 11:51 AM
I thought about grinding the teeth on the starter a bit so it would stick out more before hitting and eventually would start to turn instead of just clicking.

carotman
11-11-2005, 01:25 PM
Well, today I got sick of the problem and installed washers between the bellhousing and the starter. This basicaly pulled the starter away from the flywheel. I measured the ring gear thickness and used enough washers to match the same length.

So far, the problem seems to be solved. I might run it like this for a whille to make sure the problem was the ring gear offset in the 1st place. Then, I will probably just remove enough teeth length on the starter and remove the washers for a cleaner look.

This basicaly solves the problem.

Oh, am I the only one to use a B20A5 flywheel on a B20A here?

b20a86lude
11-23-2005, 08:54 AM
holy crap oh no i have the fidanza flywheel on order i know what u can do to fix the problem go get like 3 washers for each bolt on the starter and put it on see if that works

smufguy
11-23-2005, 09:24 AM
Jean, you are ghetto as hell. :D

carotman
12-01-2005, 02:02 PM
Hehe, I'm the ghetto B20A guy.

This what happens when you mix and match parts from other cars.

I prefer the term handyguy :D

Civvy
12-12-2005, 04:41 AM
If you get sick i've got a couple of a1 flywheels if you dont mind the shipping bill from UK

bullard123
07-14-2007, 09:29 PM
Bump I hope this works cause I'm going to be doing this too

AccordB20A
07-14-2007, 11:48 PM
ive used a b20a5 flywheel and it worked sweet. but thats a JDM b20a5. used everything off it clutch and all. maybe its something to do with the starter motors since theres 100 different types for these engines. i had starter motor problems when i used a a20a flywheel and pressure plate with a b20a5 clutch plate it wdnt engage now and again aswell. same with using a b20a flywheel and pressure plate and a a20a clutch plate using the b18a engines gearbox. ive been thru allsorts of problems. my cars prolly the only car thats had 7 engine swaps since 2005

RobT5580
01-14-2008, 03:54 PM
I was having binding issues periodically so i went through my b20a parts bin and found a starter that has a shorter gear dept. So i swapped just the top (gear) portion onto my good starter and it works great. The only bad thing is i could only line it up for one bolt. I believe my other starter is off of my b20a so in the spring im going to swap it out. The one on the starter now is probably the A20A3 5speed version since it doesn't bolt up to my b20a bell housing. But it works much better than running the b20a5 flywheel with the a20a3 AT starter.

Just thought i would share!

TWOLOUDNPROUD
01-14-2008, 04:00 PM
Has any one tried the B21 flywheel on the B20a to see how it works?

carotman
01-14-2008, 04:53 PM
The B21A flywheel won't work I think. It's different. Just like the other 90-91 B20A5s