PDA

View Full Version : intake proposition / experiences thread

cody509
10-11-2005, 07:07 PM
so i had an integra intake kit with the cone filter that i was going to put onto my 3g, so i went to the bone yard to get the civic air box and they wanted like 40 bucks for the damn thing....so i basically said fuck it and went shopping at walmart thinking of ways i could basically build my own but on a smaller budget,

i end up buying an "air tight cube" thats basically like a tupperware hybrid with thick plastic and latching seals, it seemed about the right size and everything so i figured it could work.

got some waterproof high temp sealant put it on there around the parts that needed it and then put a coat of krylon plastic bond flat black paint on. it looked sleak and looked like it was going to be perfect (ill try to get pics soon) well...the float screw (i think thats what it is) at the back right of the carb got in my way so i was basically screwed unless i wanted to some how cut around it and then seal it and, ya i just didnt want to go for it.

long story short i got to thinking...most bigger carbed motors you see are basically just running an open element filter on top of the carb....my question is....has anyone else tried this with a 3g? i realize its just a 4 cylinder and i also realize most of you that do make youre own custom intake setups are looking for colder air but in the long run usually just end up with short-rams, which in that case arent really even getting that much colder air than what is near the carb, seeing as how the intake piping runs right next to it anyways

long story short i took the rubber grommet out from the stock intake (that fits over the carb), put it around the carb, and then screwed on the wire mesh cover that goes over the carb. i know its not the best filtration system right now, and i do plan on getting some sort of small filter element like the picture below to match up to the carb before i drive it around.

http://shop.autoi.com/images/151104.jpg

i think that the raw suction allowed by not having to travel through a long pipe will make up for the +2 or so degree air.

i know this is a long drawn out post, but i was just curious to recieve some comments, questions, concerns, ideas, input?

A20A1
12-08-2005, 12:31 AM
I have that filter on my corolla... it's like 2 or 2.5 inches... our carb needs 3.5"
I did use an edelbrock pro-flo on my carb with a little modification to the base. I thought it was the best of my filtration attemps.

Acid X
12-14-2005, 04:15 PM
Our carb needs 3.5"? What does that mean?