PDA

View Full Version : Wheel bearings? Fronts...

FyreDaug
10-11-2005, 08:07 PM
I have a bad bearing on the front left, I know for sure, the wheel has some play laterally when its jacked up and you can clearly hear it grinding. The passenger side has significantly less movement (if any at all) but both tires when in neutral in the air are hard to move. The car doesnt seem slow like its being dragged, but those tires are definately not very free moving.

Think its a wheel bearing problem on both sides? I had siezed calipers before and I replaced them with used ones. When you turn them they do make some noise, not sure if its breaks or not. They could very well be siezed up again, who knows with this car.

Thinkin about selling it again....:uh:

LiTtLe xOx BitT
10-11-2005, 11:43 PM
I had the same problem on my 88 lx-i with the wheels moving, i replaced the ball joints and tie rods on both sides and it stopped.

Blkblurr
10-12-2005, 08:39 AM
Pull the brake pads off then check the wheel rotation resistance. the ginding sound could be a bad axle as well.

FyreDaug
10-12-2005, 10:30 PM
Nope, axles are good, brakes were done <10000km ago all around. The alignment guys said it was a bearing too.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
10-12-2005, 10:49 PM
Disk brakes naturally drag a little. After redoing my front brakes, my wheel can be spun by hand and will make a couple of revolutions before it comes to a stop. Your wheel bearings may be going on both sides. Definitely make sure that there is no play anywhere else in the suspension. You can also swing the caliper up, remove the brake disk and try manipulating the hub by hand. That will allow you to see if the hub has any lateral movement and if it spins freely (slight resistance is normal). Just my $.02

FyreDaug
10-13-2005, 07:47 AM
its more than slight resistance as far as I can tell. Is there any way to spray wd40 or some shit in there as a temp fix?

'89AccordLX(Rus)
10-13-2005, 12:23 PM
WD-40 is not a lubricant FyreDaug. I doubt that there is any way to inject anything into the bearing. There are grease injector needles available from most any autoparts store...but even those are probably not going to be of any help. Changing those bearing might be the only thing to do before they fail completely.

Ian3769
10-13-2005, 02:06 PM
WD-40 is not a lubricant FyreDaug. I doubt that there is any way to inject anything into the bearing. There are grease injector needles available from most any autoparts store...but even those are probably not going to be of any help. Changing those bearing might be the only thing to do before they fail completely.

(FyreDaug btw) yeah Im afraid that they might fail completely. If that happens what does it do? Sieze up or tire fall off? eep!

WD40 is technically a lubricant, its used to lubricate chains and stuff, but I do know that it wont fix the problem. I was just suggesting something that if I sprayed wd40 on the bearing (since theres so much play in it, I figured it might be visible or something) and it turned more free then its the bearing slowing it down.

I dunno, it was an idea..

'89AccordLX(Rus)
10-13-2005, 02:45 PM
If the bearings fail completely, you may have a seized wheel, or possibly great damage to the spindle that may result in detachment of the wheel. WD-40 displaces moisture and offers minimal lubricative properties. It'll most likely evaporate once the bearing heats up. Considering the fact that the bearing is pressed into the hub, I highly doubt that you could get to it. The only way would be to take the hub off. You may be able to swap the hubs out for junk yard units and it may last for a while that way. Plus it would be relatively cheap. Check the shop manual for complete details on front hub assembly. I believe you can just grab the hub unit which means just taking off the brakes and the hub nut. Just my $.02

Blkblurr
10-14-2005, 09:39 AM
There is no way to get to the bearings unless you press the hub apart. At that point you might as well replace them. This is not an easy job unless you have access to a hydraulic press and a bearing raceway remover.