PDA

View Full Version : 5 speed swapping issues

newaccorddriver
10-11-2005, 09:57 PM
so ive got everything bolted up and torqued except for 2 bolts which im having problems with. the middle bolt on the rear tranny mount, and the 'longer' bolt on the starter. for some reason i can keep turning those bolts and they wont torque. i thought i stripped the bolts at first, but thats until i put an even longer bolt in there and turned them until it wouldnt go in anymore. so their not stripped, and im absolutely positive their the right bolts for their place. what should i do? are 2 bolts on the rear mount good enough to hold it in? and is 3 bolt on the starter good enough? i can put in a second bolt, but it ewill either not tighten properly, or it would be too long, what should i do?

Ian3769
10-11-2005, 10:01 PM
so ive got everything bolted up and torqued except for 2 bolts which im having problems with. the middle bolt on the rear tranny mount, and the 'longer' bolt on the starter. for some reason i can keep turning those bolts and they wont torque. i thought i stripped the bolts at first, but thats until i put an even longer bolt in there and turned them until it wouldnt go in anymore. so their not stripped, and im absolutely positive their the right bolts for their place. what should i do? are 2 bolts on the rear mount good enough to hold it in? and is 3 bolt on the starter good enough? i can put in a second bolt, but it ewill either not tighten properly, or it would be too long, what should i do?

K first off, this is FyreDaug, for some reason I cant log Ian out....

Anyways, to be honest with you I would make sure all the bolts are there before you do anything. Honda wouldnt have put them all there if it wasnt for a reason. They didnt just decide, hey 3 bolts is enough, but lets add 15 more.

But seriously, find a way to get them all in there, does the bolt go all the way in but keeps turning? Sounds like you should re-tap the bolt holes and possibly use a larger diameter bolt.

Personally I would not drive the car without all the bolts holding the trans to the engine.

POS carb
10-12-2005, 10:29 AM
the brackets are different on each from 5-speed and auto
You need the 5 speed starter (you can use the auto starter but you must mount it to the 5-speed bracket)
and also the engine mount bracket (the part that sits on the mount) from the 5 speed, it sits like 1 inch too far.
Everything should line up once you swap those
:rockon:

newaccorddriver
10-12-2005, 07:31 PM
well, the longer starter bolt is holding on properly right now, dont know how it suddenly worked out, but im not sure about the rear tranny bolt. i used a longer bolt, so its not stripped... ill try screwing it in again tomorrow...