PDA

View Full Version : idling problems, starting problems...

AccordDX86
10-12-2005, 04:40 AM
Hey. Last night, on my way home from getting some food, my car decided it didnt want to idle at all. It ran fine, but everytime I got down to about 30, the car would drop to about 500 RPM's and then at a complete stop, it would sputter and stall. Normally, if this ever happened, it would start right back up, and it didnt, I put my foot to the floor to activate the choke, and it still wouldnt start. I then put my foot to the floor and held it there, after about 15 seconds, it started up, i kept my foot on the floor and held it there, it took 10 seconds to get up to 1000 RPM's and then from there would go all the way up into 4000, after i let up, it stalled again, and then the same problems. This morning I attempted to start the car and it turned over once and then the starter locked. If I hold the starter, the starter will move, and then the car will start, but for a brief amount of time, and then it will stall. This problem happened when I first got the car, and then cleared up and worked perfectly from June until now. Is it a fuel filter, fuel pump, vaccum leak? Could the change in the air temperature be the problem? I only wish this car was fuel injected, the I wouldnt have to worry about dropping some money on getting the carb rebuilt. ANY and ALL help is appreciated. Thanks.

-Brett

kcaudill
10-12-2005, 05:57 AM
From what i gather on this forum it might be the power valve in the carb. Use the search tab to find other problems like this one.

kcaudill
10-12-2005, 05:57 AM
From what i gather on this forum it might be the power valve in the carb. Use the search tab to find other problems like this one.

AccordDX86
10-12-2005, 09:25 AM
x

AccordDX86
10-12-2005, 09:25 AM
Ok, im going to give the whole rundown starting with the problems I had yesterday, which I'm sure have something to do with it. I had somethings to do yesterday, so while I was out, the car was idling down at about 750 to 500 RPMs, and the tac needle was bouncing back and fourth, the car stalled a few times during the day, and when I restarted it, it would run fine, idling smooth at about 1000. After I would stop and get back in the car and start it up, it would idle rough again, then stall, then after being restarted, it would run fine again. Then, It finally stalled out last night and wouldnt start up, but, I got it started and drove it home after 2 minutes of trying. Then my problems where it wouldnt start at all happened this morning. I was just outside and I tried to start it. I put my foot to the floor and held it there, it started, ran VERY rough all the way up to 4000 RPMs, and I help the peddle so it would hold steadily somewhere between 2500 to 3000 hoping it would clear itself up. Unfortunetly, it did not, and the car sounded like it was not running on every cylinder, which is where im standing at this point. I now think that it is the fuel pump, because with my foot to the floor, it runs, but without it, it does nothing, and from what I read, carbs do not need a lot of suction to get gas to the engine. But, then again, if someone told me I threw a rod, I might believe them being I know nothing about Hondas and there habits. Thanks.

-Brett

POS carb
10-12-2005, 10:34 AM
sounds like you have a vacuum leak on a thermostaticaly-controled circuit, check the vacum lines going to the distributor and on the rear of the intake manifold (there are 2 taps at the very back driver's side with 2 vacuum hoses on one and 3 hoses on the other)
That or a bad ignition wire.
Power valve can go bad too but it's not likely
There is also a vacuum hose that hooks up to the aircleaner to vent vacuum at certain temps. If that hose is broken it will leak a lot of air

POS carb
10-12-2005, 10:38 AM
also do a compression test to see if the valves are sticking

AccordDX86
10-13-2005, 10:17 AM
It turns out that I had a very bad vacuum leak, so bad that i'm suprised the car ran as long as it did before I realized how bad it was. Also, the fuel line was pretty dirty so I cleaned that out. The car runs perfectly now, better than it ever has while I've owned it. And on top of all this great news, I finally got a Honda emblem for the front of the car... now shes complete. What a great day for my 3gee. ha. Thanks for all your help guys.

-Brett