PDA

View Full Version : help with gearboxes pleazzz

davke
10-13-2005, 02:24 AM
ok, i got 2.0i ex accord. the car has A2K5 gearbox. but i noticed that the gears are quite short (ex: 3000 pm - 100 km/h witg 5th speed). i have another gearbox E2K5, so should i change it to the E2K5? what you think about it? thanx

POS carb
10-13-2005, 10:18 AM
I'm almost positive the A2K5 is the US Prelude SI tranny, how did you get that??
It definately has shorter gears than the ones used here in the U.S. LXi models, the DX LX are even taller than the LXi. I have the DX/LX 5speed and it is well balanced except the 1st to 2nd shift is spaced too far for my taste.
I have no idea what a E2k5 is

davke
10-13-2005, 11:40 AM
the code of engine is A20A4. i will post the pics of the car soon. anyway when i go for speed to 100km/h, i start to hate my 3 gear. and then i turn the 3 gear, the car start going not so fast and my best time is 11.5s. i just wondering maybe it is becouse of that gearbox. what u think?

POS carb
10-13-2005, 11:58 AM
Actually only the DX/LX transmission is approved by honda to hit 100km/h in 2nd gear, the LXi and Prelude (A2K5) are much sooner.
11.5 is slow for that car, it needs a tune up
changing the gear box will make your car accelerate slower but you'll gain back like .5 seconds because you don't shift to 3rd until 100+
Either way the transmission is not the problem! :)

davke
10-13-2005, 09:40 PM
5 seconds???!! interesting.. anyway, that you suggest to do my car. compression is good, filtration is good too, i dont know why this car isn't so fast like should be

POS carb
10-14-2005, 06:32 AM
not 5 seconds, .5, or 1/2 a second or 0.5 whatever :) The point is you should only change that transmission if fuel economy is what you are looking for. You are already a step ahead of everyone here with that tranny (*some people have swapped in your tranny)

you should replace fuel filters, they will restrict power at higher RPMs if they are dirty, maybe even look into doing a pressure test to make sure the pump is ok.
also make sure all vacuum hoses are hooked up and not leaking.
O2 sensor(s) also might need replacing.