PDA

View Full Version : Need Paint Help/info?

Pro_Mod_Accord
10-13-2005, 06:30 PM
OK guys,,,here is my scenerio..Killer 3 stage Candy paint Scheme...

My car is in the Custom body shop right now for the final prep before paint..
I've got some really expensive Candy paint scheme...the car is almost flawless right now...The shop boss, wants to seal the car and ship it back to my house for storage for the winter. The issue is this, I have no Garage and winter is gonna hit in about 5 weeks here. He says that my paint isn't gonna cure properly, and I should wait till the spring before he finishes the job....he wants the car to come out perfect cause he wants it associated with his shop...I'm gonna get a killer paint job if I wait,,,he doesn't wanna have to fix the car in the spring if it doesn't cure properly....

Shit, is a high build primer gonna seal the car properly if it is stored out side all winter? Shit, I've spent the last 4 months customizing the body on this car and I'd hate to see it start to rust..:uh:

Need some expert advice here....Help...:sad2:

Yah and another thing is I'd hate to just post some primer pics in here,,,doesn't justify what the final product will be....Wanted to shock every one...

Pro_Mod_Accord
10-13-2005, 07:07 PM
??? come on guys ,,,I gottz to make up my mind...

Pro_Mod_Accord
10-13-2005, 07:38 PM
:stupid: :lol:

3gn86lxi
10-13-2005, 08:06 PM
NO primer is going to seal that for you to store outside all winter! And your painter should know that.
You could be safe for a month.....maybe. But once that has been outside that long he is going to have to respray it in sealer before paint.
Why can't he keep it in his shop??

Pro_Mod_Accord
10-13-2005, 08:27 PM
To shop is to small.....he says the high build primer with activator seals like a paint and that he's gonna re sand it down and shoot it one more time then wet sand then paint...

I keep on running into resistance getting my car done...very agrivating..but I do want the very best job

gp02a0083
10-13-2005, 08:48 PM
yes thats true but it all depends on the type of primer u use i would sugguest epoxy primer , high build , and pretty good agenst rain/snow but before the paint job i would advise sanding that down and re primeing it before it goes to finish paint work
and what the hell dont he mean that the paint wont cure in time , dont he have a heated booth or a UV light to speed up the curing process , hell i painted my oldsmobile , after 3 hours of wet sanding , it took me from 5 pm till 9 to get 2 full coats of sealer , 3 full coats of base (color), then 2 coats of blue pearl, then 3 coats of clear, baked it for about 40 min , went home for the night , then next morning i clear sanded the clear coat and added another 3 coats of clear .
man i wonder what the hell is he using high temp reducer and high temp activator and wanna keep the dam thing wet for houres per coat , man get more info on primer systems and which paints they can be used with b/c if the primer acts inadversely basically it will crack, lift and or completly make ur sweet work even more of a living hell

Pro_Mod_Accord
10-13-2005, 08:57 PM
Yah his booth is heated, but he doesn't have a baker that will bake the car at over 200 degrees...paint takes weeks for it to fully cure,,,one of the reasons why you don't wax a new paint job for at least 2 months...

He's had a couple of project cars rushed late in the season and then the car sits outside for the winter,,,and it's forced to fight off the elements as the paint is still setting....says it's worth the wait..??? I don't know??

3gn86lxi
10-13-2005, 09:17 PM
To do the job right....hell yes it's worth the wait! From start to finish it took us about four months to paint my car. And we still have to wet sand and spray more clear, but the finished product is well worth it.
And remember, your finished paint is only as good as your prep work! If you rush and miss something........it WILL show when you are done.
But I would try to get the car covered if he is really unwilling to finish it before winter. Painters suck, lots of attitude, ect. I work with the guy that painted my car, and he told me to fuck off a couple of times!!!
Good luck!

Pro_Mod_Accord
10-13-2005, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the info.....Yah they have quite the attitude,,,LOL...he knows my body work is excellent, but he's the pro..right??lol no the car has been gone over several times...I haven't rushed anything yet...I really wanted to get it finished before winter and show you guys,,,,well I guess I might just take the motor outta it this winter and maybe get the while engine bay painted the Candy color....car needs to be slammed anyways this winter...guess if I wait my car will be completely ready to cruise in the spring..oh well..

gp02a0083
10-13-2005, 10:09 PM
i forgot to mentino with most professional paint systems they say it can take up to 140 days to become fully cured , but it is workable and sandable and polishable within 24 to 48 hours