PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!. Alternator/waterpump belt install?

yanman
10-14-2005, 11:20 AM
Ok.. car died last night while GF was driving, Checked it this morning and found the water pump belt/alternator belt snapped.

so i bought a replacement today but now i pop the hood and it looks more complicated then i expected..

Question is there is one pulley that turns all three belts near the bottom (as pictured here)
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/yanman_69/belt.jpg
seeing that the alternator/ waterpump belt is the one on the inside, does that mean i would have to take off the other two belts to get the water pump belt on or is there a different way?

if so can someone give me details instructions? as i can't find it in the manuals.. thanks!!

yanman
10-14-2005, 11:29 AM
btw, i own a 87 accord Exi with FI a20.

Poncho Villa
10-14-2005, 06:36 PM
Hello Yanman,
Yes, you'll need to remove the belts in front to get the belt on in the back. It's not really difficult - just tight quarters in which to work. Good luck!

yanman
10-14-2005, 09:14 PM
yea i got the powersteering pump off no prob.. the a/c on the other hand is bs..

i think i might just cut the belt seeing how that we don't use a/c anyways..

Poncho Villa
10-15-2005, 07:08 AM
Yanman,

This is my first attempt to add a picture so please bear with me if this doesn't come through. Basically, it appears that there are four adjusting bolts for the AC compressor: two are behind the compressor and two are in front (see attempted image below). Unless you're just wanting to get rid of the AC compressor altogether, just follow steps 13 & 14 in the image.

Here goes:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid191/p9c00b1442cc0e935454621ad62dbdae2/f1e1dc2b.jpg

POS carb
10-17-2005, 09:44 AM
The way I take off belts is with the engine running I'll put a long object (a torque wrench or tire iron or bat) near the moving belt and gently pushj it off, the engine will doo all the rest of the work for you.
be careful!
or you can spend an hour loosening all the adjusters and tightening them again :b

and yes, the other belts have to come off. 1st is the power steering , 2nd is a/c, 3rd is water/alt (already gone). Installation is the reverse

FyreDaug
10-17-2005, 10:05 AM
The way I take off belts is with the engine running I'll put a long object (a torque wrench or tire iron or bat) near the moving belt and gently pushj it off, the engine will doo all the rest of the work for you.
be careful!
or you can spend an hour loosening all the adjusters and tightening them again :b

Pro_Mod_Accord
10-17-2005, 04:24 PM
A) REMOVE POWER STEERING BELT

1) Loosen top Bolt 14mm (PWR Steering Pump)
2) Loosen Lower Bolt 14mm (PWR STEERING PUMP)
3) Push back Power Steering Pump
4) Remove pwr steering belt off crank shaft pully

B) REMOVE ALTERNATOR/WATER pump BELT
Need To Jack up Left side of Car

1) Loosen Alternator Bolt 14mm
2) Back off Alternator Adjusting Nut 12mm
3) From under the car find the Lower Alternator Nut
and loosen
4) Push Alternator Forward
5) Remove Alternator Belt off crank shaft pully

Very Simple Less then a Hour to remove and Install

Cant Stop
11-05-2005, 08:38 PM
ya i like it when i slip or the belt flys out taking everything in its path. NEVER EVER TAKE BELTS OFF WITH THE MOTOR RUNNING!!
THIS METHOD COULD KILL YOU!!!!

he was joking right?