PDA

View Full Version : Brakes!

87_HaTcH
10-15-2005, 10:49 AM
Yea i need brakes... i went to go step on the pedal the other day and i noticed the pedal went down like 3 inches before the brakes started to engage. I took the front wheels off and the pads are way worn down! I have been in the market for brakes for a while soo i am looking for steel braided lines and pads and rotors. I kno brembo makes a good OEM replacment rotor because my bro still uses them and there sticky. I think openloop has steel braided lines. And this is where im confused on what to get is pads:uh:
AEM makes pads, but all the places i have seen them they are for a LX DX sedan. Are the sedan brakes the same from hatchs? And are LX DX brakes the same for a LX-i? I really am intrested because when my bro first got the AEM pads for his sedan, his car would stop for anything! If AEM pads do not fit the hatchs let me know what are from good pads to put on my hatch..?:cool:

Thanks very much.
Chris

cardoc33
10-15-2005, 11:09 AM
Ceramic pads are good replacement pads with Brembo rotors.
PBR/Axxis is a good brand, as well as EBC.
Steel braided line are a good upgrade, also.

smufguy
10-15-2005, 01:52 PM
Go to Autozone and get their Ceramic Pads, THey are the same price as the Aem , around 50 bux or so and they are made by Metalmasters or something like that.

87_HaTcH
10-16-2005, 01:59 PM
I want to get somthing that is high quality and is at a nice price.

bobafett
10-16-2005, 06:34 PM
ok, i just did my brakes and here is what i got:

2 bottles of ATE super blue racing fluid : $25 ish
4 piece technafit brake lines (ss braided) : $85 shipped?
akibono ceramic brake pads from tirerack : $55
whatever generic rear shoes form tirerack : $14
EBC sport drilled, slotted and dimpled rotors from tirerack : $55
speed bleeders : $20

i wanted the EBC green stuff pads, but they told me it would take an extra 5 weeks, and i didnt want to wait. if u do all this its a pretty solid setup, and i didnt spend that much overall...

the sad part is, i have SE-i rears coming to me soon, so now i need ot scrap all these and get 88-89 lxi front brakes and ill have to ditch all my brand newshit... :(

all it all a good deal

POS carb
10-17-2005, 08:09 AM
DX=LX
LXi is bigger, the calipers won't bolt up, you need the steering arm to mount the LXi calipers and then you need the LXi rotors, a tad bigger.
I havew all new brakes sitting there until I can afford the steering arms and a few other destroyed bushings

bobafett
10-17-2005, 08:57 AM
88-89 lxi are bigger, 86-87 lxi is the same as 86-89 carbed. :)

logic
10-20-2005, 11:46 AM
Yea i need brakes... i went to go step on the pedal the other day and i noticed the pedal went down like 3 inches before the brakes started to engage. I took the front wheels off and the pads are way worn down! I have been in the market for brakes for a while soo i am looking for steel braided lines and pads and rotors. I kno brembo makes a good OEM replacment rotor because my bro still uses them and there sticky. I think openloop has steel braided lines. And this is where im confused on what to get is pads:uh:
AEM makes pads, but all the places i have seen them they are for a LX DX sedan. Are the sedan brakes the same from hatchs? And are LX DX brakes the same for a LX-i? I really am intrested because when my bro first got the AEM pads for his sedan, his car would stop for anything! If AEM pads do not fit the hatchs let me know what are from good pads to put on my hatch..?:cool:
Thanks very much.
Chris

I use the performance friction from autozone because they are the best I can find that have a lifetime warranty.....

Be careful about SS lines, they have been known to rupture w/no warning. basically the teflon hose is rather fragile that's why it's wrapped w/ SS mesh. if dirt or anything gets between the mesh and the line it will rupture, the ends come off or the hose breaks close the the connector due to friction between the braid and the hose when the hose bends at that point. google 'SS brake line failure' for more info(I found it linked from the NSX forum). basically my take from what I read is that they are great for racing because they get replaced at least every season, but for general use the stock are better...

Anyone find a solution to rotor warping? I'm going crazy from front end shakes every other month!!!!!

smufguy
10-20-2005, 01:52 PM
your front disks need to be broken in. I know it sounds retarded, but seems like they need to be gently used for the first few times. I am undergoing the same bullshit warpage on my new rotors (less than 3 months old) and im prolly gonna get the same rotors and pads that bob got.

POS carb
10-20-2005, 03:07 PM
my LX had soft brakes ALWAYS! I bled them, changed pads, master cylinders, rebuilt the drums
I never had a normal brake pedal feel until I installed rear disks. Maybe I just got lucky, but I've never had good experiences with those rear drum oil cylinders
and I don't have any special brake lines or pads, just some ceramics up front and the junkyard pads out back, my 260K mile brake hoses