PDA

View Full Version : a/t to M/T "?"z please help

NastyNate
10-15-2005, 05:42 PM
1: i want to make sure what axils from my A/T tranny can be reused.

2: when i put the cluch in is the cluch plate siposed to be tight? i can't move it with my hand.

3: also i dodn't have a cluch alighment tool i just eyeballed it, is that ok?

also last ? whats the easyest way to get the pedels out of the car? i mainly unbolted the stearing column let it drop and the menover the braket out for about an hour!

any help would be good i'm about 50% done with this and going to finish it tomorrow.

newaccorddriver
10-15-2005, 05:48 PM
1: i want to make sure what axils from my A/T tranny can be reused.

2: when i put the cluch in is the cluch plate siposed to be tight? i can't move it with my hand.

3: also i dodn't have a cluch alighment tool i just eyeballed it, is that ok?

also last ? whats the easyest way to get the pedels out of the car? i mainly unbolted the stearing column let it drop and the menover the braket out for about an hour!

any help would be good i'm about 50% done with this and going to finish it tomorrow.

wow, ive given up on the pedals a while ago so i let my friend help me do them. about the axles, you can reuse the passenger side one. you need a new driver side axle

EDIT: if you bought a clutch kit, it should come with a little plastic alignment tool

NastyNate
10-15-2005, 05:53 PM
i'm reusing the cluch out of the parts car i bought. its a new cluch and the specs are almost like new.

A20A1
10-15-2005, 06:01 PM
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=102
read the how-to, it says you need the 5-speed driverside axle.

NastyNate
10-15-2005, 06:31 PM
wow ok so i go a lot todo... i got the tranny in on a jack "can't line the tranny up right but it was getting dark!

i got the pedle asimbly out of the 5speed.

tomorrow i'm going to line up the tranny install the pedles and jump all the wires that need jumped. also now that i know i need to change the ECU i'm going to pull it out also and change that over.

and i guess i'm going to have to get a driver side axil sence i can't get the one off the 5speed but i'm going to try and take back the A/T axil i bought from advanced and just act like i wanted M/T axils and get all loud about it!

*****also did me eyeballing the cluch pad and not using an alignment tool hurt anything?*****

buds302
10-15-2005, 06:42 PM
if you bought a new axel from advance they will take it back and give you the right one they are the same price. but no they also sell the clutch alignment tool there too .get one!! sounds like you need one!

NastyNate
10-15-2005, 06:47 PM
ok i'll gett the tool.....

but is the cluch pad siposed to be so tight after i tighten the pressure plat?

i can't move it with my hand up/down left/right.

sorry for all the dumb ?z but i have never removed or installed a cluch before!

spanky
10-16-2005, 05:27 PM
1st thing you should do is get the alignment tool. and the disk should have a little play (mine had some when i put it in two weeks ago). i think the tool is like 4 bucks at autozone. also when your putting the new tranny in here's a tip.

get a friend or two and have one hold the bellhousing and one hold the ass end of the tranny (end closest to the passanger side wheel) and have the guy holding the bellhousing ligt and the ass end pull up from above then have the guy w/ the bell housing get it algined and have the ass end guy wiggle it. it's alot less work than using a jack b/c you would have to move it alot and it could slip off the jack. (unless you have a tranny jack). also most/some engines sag when the tranny is out and using a jack wont allow it to align. thats just from my experiance.

good luck w/ the swap. if you take the dash out of the doner car it'll make it less difficult for you to take the pedals out.

NastyNate
10-16-2005, 05:38 PM
i got the pedles out of the doner its just putting them in my car LMOL!

yes i have a tranny jack! it was worth the money, also i go the tranny on and the cluch didn't have much play atleast not what my finger could move.

i plan on having this done tomorrow as long as i don't have to fix anything else like today i had to replace all the moter mounts and fix the driver side one it broke off the block and tolk some of the block with it .... oops but its fixed now .

and the timing belt is loose as hell thinking i'm going to have to replace it its got about 1 in. of play it is not tight at all but i still can't pull it off the gear though so i'm not sure.

BITESIZE
10-16-2005, 05:40 PM
I had to remove the steering column to get mine pedals in.

NastyNate
10-16-2005, 05:50 PM
ya i droped the doner cars stearing column to the floor to get them out lol i'll do the same in my LXi tomorrow to get the old pedles out and the new ones back in

maka_RTH
10-16-2005, 08:29 PM
yeah, i had to drop my steering columns to get the pedals out of the parts car and out and in my car. i just kinda "bench press" the tranny up and in.., it's annoying.., but it's all i got... i'm just glad it's not an auto.., lol :D but yeah, those pedals can be quite annoying. i'm just glad it's done :) except i get to replace some gears now i think...

POS carb
10-17-2005, 08:07 AM
the manual tranny is a little lighter but still, I jacked it up into position and had a friend shake the tranny up and down as I inserted the mounting bolts by the valve cover, once the first bolts are in it is cake.
Watch out with the dowel pins!!

NastyNate
10-17-2005, 01:24 PM
were is the rev. light wire at in the dash area? i need to get my rev. lights working. anyone have a easy way on hooking them up besides rinning wire the holeway back to the trunk?

POS carb
10-17-2005, 02:16 PM
I ran the reverse wires through the firewall and hooked them up to the a/t connector by the shifter... I can't remember off-hand what colors, i'm sure it's in the FAQ

NastyNate
10-17-2005, 06:12 PM
sweet thank u! only thing i have left is that and the ECU when i get a chance. also the timing belt is going to get replaced. and my car shaks when i break i thought it was the brakes and roters but its not, and the ball joins were nice and tight so i'm not sure!

and it seems when the car was lifted up "front end higher than rear end" i had a coolant leak from the rear of the engine, anyone have a thought on this?

NastyNate
10-17-2005, 07:08 PM
ok this sucks i looked all over the FAQ page and can't find the rev. light wire colors in the A/T center con. so if anyone knows please help me out.
:sadwave:

NastyNate
10-18-2005, 06:11 PM
someone out there please lol. i have my inspection due next month lol i need the lights :) please help me.

NastyNate
10-19-2005, 04:15 AM
lord now i relized my cruse control does not work! anyone know how to get this to start working i know it has something to do with the car thinking its in park how would i get it to think its in drive? after the car is started?

NastyNate
10-19-2005, 05:45 AM
if i cut the plug outa the doner car for the cluch pedle and wire that to the 2 black wires that you jump to get the car to start and then jump what ever wire to make the car think its in d4 do you think that would take care of the starting prob and the cruse control not working?

BITESIZE
10-19-2005, 02:26 PM
Good luck with the cruise control.

newaccorddriver
10-19-2005, 04:08 PM
how hard was it to get the pedals in? thats about how far im currently in the swap right now, after the pedals its pretty easy to slap the front end back together. im guessing the pedals are the hardest part of the swap right?

NastyNate
10-19-2005, 05:55 PM
there hard but hit take all the pedles off the braket and get the braket in place put the gass pedle back in the braket and then bolt it back up then put the brake and cluch pedle in. also you have to take the stearing column down to get the pedles in and out. also wait to put the cluch cable through the firewall after you get the braket in!

then have fun with gettinmg the cruse control and brake lights working

newaccorddriver
10-19-2005, 07:38 PM
there hard but hit take all the pedles off the braket and get the braket in place put the gass pedle back in the braket and then bolt it back up then put the brake and cluch pedle in. also you have to take the stearing column down to get the pedles in and out. also wait to put the cluch cable through the firewall after you get the braket in!

i wasnt aware you can take the pedals off the brackets, is it possible to do it without taking the pedals off? brake lights shouldnt be hard to get working as their just plug and play. as for the cruise control, i hardly use it, but a manual ECU might fix the problem, or something got disconnected on the way to putting everything back together.

newaccorddriver
10-19-2005, 10:00 PM

just another question there, is it possible to take out the whole pedal assembly without taking it apart?

NastyNate
10-20-2005, 07:29 AM
i ment the rev. lights. and no you have to i did at least if not you run a chance in snagging a wire and cutting it like i did. i have to fix it in the donner car taking it that i'm giving the car to a friend that has an enigne and tranny.

i recomend taking the pedles off you can try it though

and yes i was told by my friend to change the ECU and that would solve it. now i just need to get the damn rev. lights working.

NastyNate
10-20-2005, 10:48 AM
ok the ECU did not fix the cruse control. so this leads me to think that when you jump the black wires to get the car to start its thinking the car is in park all the time so some how i got to figure this out. and i love my cruse when i'm on my way to work.

NastyNate
10-20-2005, 11:32 AM
ok i figured out the rev lights now and i wired it up so the dash now says P, and D4 are both lit i think this will alow the cruse control to work not sure going to test it out now though

does anyone think that this will hurt anything being in both gears?
(thinking it anyhow?)

spanky
10-20-2005, 12:03 PM
what colors were the wires (i have a ghetto back up lighting system now). when my was swapped i couldnt find out what wires so i used a fog light kit and bought some oem bmw fog lights (low watt bulbs) and had a hoopdie reverse lights that i have to turn on and off. (I KNOW i'll get flammed on cause of it but it works).

NastyNate
10-20-2005, 12:27 PM
lol i never thought about that but hay :)

its the yellow wire and the green/black-strip (the one you didn't use for the ignition to unlock)

also the cruse didn't work after lighting up the D4 light along with the P light so o well i will have to look in to this a little more.