PDA

View Full Version : Would like info on the 89 Accord LX

Bonneville Power
10-15-2005, 10:53 PM
Oooh you guys have a lot of fun smilies here :)
Anyway, I might be looking at buying an 89 LX in the near future. It's an automatic, virtually no rust, 50k original miles. Apparently whoever had it kept it in a garage the whole time. The exhaust was replaced with something quite louder, supposedly the original exhaust rotted out, which isn't too unbelievable I guess. Also, the transmission won't move into park, the current owner leaves it in neutral with the ebrake on and the key turned to accessory. says it's hard to get in and out of park due to the car sitting. I don't know why he doesn't just go ahead and put it in park and try to loosen it up a bit. :dunno: He wants somewhere in the neighborhood of 3k for it. I've never owned a honda before and have no idea what to expect. I like the honda idea for reliability and good gas mileage. The car it's replacing is an 87 Bonneville, which has been wonderfully reliable, but so rusty I don't think it will pass a NYS inspection.
Anyway, is there anything I should beware? I'm told I should be weary of buying a 16 year old car with an automatic transmission (The one in the bonneville was rebuilt) especially with that won't-go-in-park dilemma. I really like the car, I took it for a ride. Pretty slow, but drives awfully nice, and I have a fast car in the garage anyway :)
If anyone can throw me a bone I'd be deeply appreciative..

3G Jester
10-15-2005, 11:03 PM
first off.....the bonneville username/car/everything has to go. tell your friends you ride a bike. less embarassing

second.....
SEARCH

THird.....50k miles no rust is UBER rare...i would normaly say BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT...however...not going into park is a SERIOUS problem. you should see if its still under waranty. yes its 16 years old...but it DOES only have 50k mi :)
i would walk away because of a situation like that.
bring a digital camera. take pics of the wheel wells...interior, engine bay (lots of those), and all over the car. also see if you can take it to a shop to get it looked at before you buy. its 3 am cant think of anything else usefull....the tranny thing kinda kills it before its even an option....

Bonneville Power
10-15-2005, 11:27 PM
haha. I like my bonneville :( Nobody else likes it :(

Serious problem, eh?
I know nothing about transmissions.

I think they (they being my sister and her bf, who currently own the car) said it will go into park, but it's tough.

I have no idea why he doesnt just put it in park. Hes a really strange guy, when I rode around with him a while back he always puts his truck in neutral when he comes to a stop, stuff like that. :dunno:
At any rate, the car is being driven from NY to NC and back over the next couple of days, should be interesting to see how it fares...

I did browse around the site a bit (no searching) ... I figured a queue like "89 accord info" would be far too generic :p

Thanks for the info... hopefully the tranny thing isnt too serious. :sad2:

3G Jester
10-16-2005, 09:10 AM
anytime man.

common all you bums. i know people have been reading this and not posting....at least through in your 2 cents to make the kid feel either more or less like he should buy the car

Bonneville Power
10-16-2005, 09:31 AM
Haha thanks.

I did some searching last night (originally I made this whole post because most forums don't allow you to search for 2 character words such as 89 haha) and I've found a few people with the won't-go-into-park problem, maybe a sticking shift cable or selector? The shifter moves fine through the rest of the gears and it drives fine, so I can't really imagine the transmission being too screwed up...

1ajs
10-16-2005, 06:27 PM
welcome

you could always do a spwap to manual but 50k orig mils thats rare to see
theres a shop manual in the technical secion if you did not notice it you can download it its in pdf format handy little thing.

other than the park isure.
is it fuel injected or carb?

its a good site this section of the forums tends to be ignored just so you know i would say get it checked out and find out how mutch it would cost to get the trany fixed and maybe nogotate a price from 3k though they still go for 3k in some places with higher milage

if you do get her have all your fluids replaced might just fix the trany isue might even be a filter isue on the trany but i know nuthing about auto trany's never driven an auto. if the gas cap area is rusting out the dealer will fix that for free there was a recall on that rusting out and falling out back in the early 90's just so you know.

i would say take her and baby her and look after her
not often you come across a 16 year old car with 50k miles on it

million k 3gee

Bonneville Power
10-16-2005, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the reply... The engine is carb'd, I talked to my sister earlier.. she says it goes into park, but its tough, they attribute it to the car having sat for so long. we'll see. I may have found a new tranny though, a kid at work has an 89 accord parts car. I definitely want the exhaust off it, whoever had the car Im buying put a louder exhaust on it and I hate all that noise haha.. my subaru is way too loud for me as it is and I need a quiet dd. I think he said the tranny is up for grabs too, we'll see. =)

Thanks again for the replies.. I hope to have pics of this thing in a couple days.

3G Jester
10-17-2005, 12:42 PM
he said at the top post...LX
DX, LX is carbed
LX-i, SE-i is FI

Bonneville Power
10-17-2005, 10:08 PM
oh yeah, 1ajs, I have to ask, does the 1 million k mean 1 million miles? :eek:

And, because it will explain my lack of auto knowledge, plus for future reference... its a she. No you dont want pics.

Im starting to regret picking this username already haha, but it is kind of funny I guess.

1ajs
10-18-2005, 05:29 PM
lol no not mils its in km's winnipeg is not in the us its in central canada

why would we not whant pics of a 3gee?

why would you regreat picking that name hell the freight train goes well with it
good luck

Bonneville Power
10-18-2005, 11:26 PM
Either way, km or mi, that's still pretty impressive.

I meant pics of me, not of the car haha. Don't know about you folks, but on most forums I post on, when people find out a girl is posting, they're all like "OMG PICS!" I apologize if I've made an incorrect assumption here :wiggle:

Whenever I get the freakin car I'll be sure to post pics of it... problem is my sister's boyfriend is a PAIN IN THE ASS and I'll be lucky if I have it before next week. I better get it soon too because I already started buying stuff for it, bought a new stereo and some trim/bumper dye (because they're pretty faded).

1ajs
10-19-2005, 07:21 PM
woot well i say welcome to the club of 3geez owners my dad owns the million k 3gee been lerning how to drive on it loves it:rockon: now i just gota lern to parela park and go do my road test and then finish fixing my 72 145s and get a job so i can afford to drive it lol
probly guna put a 3gee tape player in it to lol cause the one in there won't eject the tapes lol

Bonneville Power
10-21-2005, 10:09 PM
awesome.

I'm still waiting for the car. I'll have it sunday if i'm really lucky :)

I shall post pics whenever I get the thing.. like I keep saying.. but my sisters bf's pic is in the dictionary under the word "procrastinator" :o

1ajs
10-24-2005, 09:45 AM
my friend has a tshirt that says:

top 10 resons to procrastinat

lol anyhow hopefully you got the car.

3G Jester
10-24-2005, 12:32 PM
And, because it will explain my lack of auto knowledge, plus for future reference... its a she. No you dont want pics.

Im starting to regret picking this username already haha, but it is kind of funny I guess.

my bad! im sorry MS crapeville power......you should change your user name to something else. or..in a year or two of being an active user on the board it will be worth many a good laugh :)

and were still waiting for pics.....

...of the car....... ;) lol

Bonneville Power
10-25-2005, 06:19 PM
I'm still waiting FOR the car. I'm pissed off right now, but I may as well tell the story because without the car here (I was going to put the new stereo in it and whatnot tonight) I have nothing better to do. :sad2:

Anyway, the guy I am buying it from has always been a shady character, I should've realized when I went into this transaction... I've been waiting for a frickin week to get the car handed over to me. He said he wanted to fix the window (the module is bad i guess?) and the shifter. I guess the shifter is fixed, it needed lube supposedly and it goes into park fine and blahdy blah. However we are waiting on the part to repair the power window, which seems like it needs to be shipped from Abu Dhabi or soething like that... I am glad he wants to hand the car to me 100%, but I wish he wouldn't tell me "you'll have the car tomorrow" every day and then a week goes by and no car. Earlier today he calls me and tells me I'll have the car tonight part or no part (I'll just fix the damned thing myself because I'll be waiting 5 years for his slow ass) so I sit around all day waiting for the call which never came. Call him, oh tomorrow definitely.. yeah right.. thats what you said today.

Meanwhile, I put insurance on it over the weekend, stupidly thinking I'd have the car Monday. He called me Sunday and told me I'd have the car Monday night, and I asked for the title so I could go register it (the local DMV is only open Mondays). he said yes, I went and registered it. So now the car is insured and registered to me, I have the check here, and I dont have the car. At least the Bonneville is gone, I got rid of it yesterday. I'm on the fence as far as my username goes though :)

So that's why I haven't posted pics yet, what a fucked up story eh? I really hope to have the thing tomorrow... but if I dont... I think I should just tell him to stuff it up his ass and then go buy something else. I like the car though. :( I have no doubt he'll give it to me, he comes through but he takes about 12 years to do it whenever you need something from the guy. I'm just getting very angry at having to wait and having him tell me I'll have it every day, when I'm still waiting. And this is the guy my sister has been dating for ~3 years now.

Sorry to rant. but I sat here waiting all day for this dingleberry to call me and tell me I could have my car and no luck. looks like the snow tires are going on the WRX tomorrow.

1ajs
10-25-2005, 07:26 PM
plzz don't give up on the 3gee you know its ment for you :)

Bonneville Power
10-25-2005, 08:34 PM
I'll try not to.. I got my eye on this prizm if the other car doesnt work out. haha. the accord looks better though and i've always wanted a honduh.

bah.

Bonneville Power
10-26-2005, 05:55 PM
Ok, I got the car. I guess it needed a new shifter cable, it goes into Park no problem, the window is fixed, everything is good :D but of course I didn't get it until after dark so I can't take pics of it until tomorrow. I just spent the last hr or so putting the new stereo in... that took way too long. I also discovered I need a front passenger side speaker :( but it sounds much better than I expected :D

1ajs
10-26-2005, 07:05 PM
woot congrats on your new ride BP ya its a pain to take the old one if you don't know were the screws are hopefuly you figured out you gut got to losen thoughs bolts on that black box and move it sorta outa the way lol right or you did somthing els? sujest you find a metric tool set

3G Jester
10-26-2005, 08:34 PM
congrats man and officially welcome to the 3geez family :)

Bonneville Power
10-27-2005, 01:56 PM
thanks guys :)
I finally got pics:)

http://cackus.com/pics/honduh1.jpg

http://cackus.com/pics/honduh2.jpg

http://cackus.com/pics/honduh3.jpg

http://cackus.com/pics/honduh4.jpg

http://cackus.com/pics/honduh5.jpg
my bad, I forgot to take a pic of the engine. its pretty clean.
I like the car a lot, thanks guys for the welcome :cool:

Bonneville Power
10-27-2005, 01:57 PM
Ah, i cant post pics? do I need a certain # of posts or something?

2drSE-i
10-27-2005, 02:08 PM
50k miles.......wow

buy it up, but not for 3k

a mint SE-i with 50k miles is worth 3k barely, this is an LX with a broken tranny

hes right tho it may just be transmission fluid

1ajs
10-28-2005, 04:25 PM
wow what a fined looks like she is brand new baby her all i have to say\
heres the code to put pics in

just put the link to the pic inbetween

Bonneville Power
10-28-2005, 04:46 PM
wow what a fined looks like she is brand new baby her all i have to say\
heres the code to put pics in

just put the link to the pic inbetween

Yeah, did all that, but for some reason the img tags arent working for me :dunno:

I bought some cheap new speakers today, they sound better than stock but I cant replace the speaker grilles over them. Dont like that too much.. may be looking for different speakers soon :( haha

3G Jester
10-28-2005, 05:01 PM
edit. yeah i just tried it and a few other things. no idea why it doesnt work.

Cant Stop
11-14-2005, 04:09 PM
she said it wasnt the tranny it had a bad cable
hellia used mine to get aloan for $1500
so it is worth at least that much as for 3k i would have had to haggle it down faded black trim and a rotted exhaust indicates outside storage but hey now that you have owned it for a couple weeks how's it run?

Bonneville Power
12-01-2005, 09:22 PM
I bought some trim dye, it could use another coat but it looks a lot better than it did.

it runs great so far :grin: prob put about 1500 miles on it so far..

sorry i don't check this forum very often. i'm trying to put more money into my wrx, lol