PDA

View Full Version : Are tach's dependant on cylinders?

corporate.phil
10-16-2005, 01:48 AM
I'm new to the forums, but i've been reading up for the past couple of weeks...

Long story short, i'm thinking of putting in a little 52mm/ 2 5/8" tach next to the clock on my dash as i block the tach with my arm when i drive.

Not a big deal, but it's a minor annoyance and there are tons of cheap tach's on ebay.

A lot of them are for motorcycles and domestic cars which got me wondering if a tach is dependant on the motor...

I'm thinking it would be as it's running off the signal from the coil... i think... but even then, does it seem like it might be tricky to tap into the stock tach's signal?

That's it... dumb question but it's 6 am and i've got the Accord on the road so i'm a little fired up

A20A1
10-16-2005, 02:03 AM
Well I know that my Autometer tach required me to cut wires on the tach itself before using it.

You cut different wires depending on how many cylinders you have. So yes I think that a tach ment for domestic 8 cylinder cars would not work with a 4 cylinder motor directly... you'd need to mess with it first.

You may be able to find something that will go between the ignition coil and the tach that would change the output to the tach so that it works with a 4cylinder motor. I dunno.

I think my autometer tach was $60-$80, but it was well worth it.

I don't suggest tapping into the stock tach signal... get the signal from the coil directly, and make sure the tach is set up for 4 cylinders.

A lot of gauges need a matching sensor to go with it that way you get an accurate reading. I've tried mixing different fuel gauges with the stock fuel level sensor and as ecpected they don't work right.

SteveDX89
10-16-2005, 04:04 PM
I helped a friend hook up a tach a couple years ago and there was nothing special about it. We just tapped into the coil and voila!

newaccorddriver
10-16-2005, 06:04 PM
I helped a friend hook up a tach a couple years ago and there was nothing special about it. We just tapped into the coil and voila!

which coil? the ignition coil? i was thinking about adding another tach as i was told the stock one is inaccurate. i was also thinking about adding an oil psi/temp gauge, coolant temp gauge, volt meter and an ammeter into my car. the only problem i have is i dont know where to put them without making it look dumb. i was thinking about putting it between the shifter console and the ashtray since theres a big empty spot there. back to the topic now, where would be the best place to place the tach so it is easily seen and wont obstruct your view?

A20A1
10-16-2005, 06:54 PM
Honestly anywhere to the left or right of the steering wheel... I personally don't like gauges with the steering wheel blocking the view.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/319000-319999/319268_48_full.jpg

You can't see the dash, but under the carpet is a cut up dash. I made a slot for the Tach to fit... there was a nice bolt for it right where the clock used to be. :) Don't mind the other gauges, I was just lazy and poked them into the carpet... and the carpet isn't even held to the dash it's just laying over the top of it... I was to mold a fiberglass dash using the stock one as a bas but never got around to it.

SteveDX89
10-16-2005, 06:58 PM
My oil pressure gauge

http://ultimatuner.com/stevedx89/Accord/Picture%20038.jpg

newaccorddriver
10-16-2005, 07:01 PM
steve, that looks uber nice, how did you get it like that? i plan to have like 5-6 gauges there, their small gauges so itll probably fit easily, but how did you do it? just find plastic and cut holes in it?

EDIT: i see the wooden board now lol

A20A1
10-16-2005, 07:04 PM
Get a hole cutting drill bit used to cut holes in doors for door knobs...
I've been looking for large Balsa wood sheets so it's not as heavy as the regular wood boards.

b8er
10-16-2005, 08:02 PM
whats with that carpet, i dont like that at all, no offence man but whyd you do the dash like that? any real reason?

POS carb
10-17-2005, 02:37 PM
b/c he's Mike and he guts carbs, emmissions devices, and interiors.
As long as I can remember this guy has been missing large portions of the interior, I think once I saw the radio between the ebrake and the seat
You'd better have a bakup car for the ladies!
:lol:

A20A1
10-17-2005, 02:50 PM
lol.

the carpet isn't permanent... jeez. :)

b8er
10-17-2005, 03:26 PM
ahhh, i gotcha now, dont fully understand the whole purpose but to each his own right, sorry to get off topic