PDA

View Full Version : Queston about the big mutha vibration damper

w261w261
10-16-2005, 11:13 AM
When I was messing with my idle stabilizer valve hoses on my 89 Sei, I noticed that the big
stabilizer bar that is attached to the firewall and reaches to the engine, and is suspended by big bushings at either end, was quite loose in it's moorings. The shop manual says that the bolts are to be tightened to 75nm, and that is about what mine are. But the big circular rings that go around the bushings on each end of the bar are loose, e.g. the bushings are not expanded enough to hold them firmly in place. Shouldn't that bar be snugged up with the bushings? I even over-tightened the bolt on the engine side to about 90 nm, but I would have had to compress that bushing way more to get it to expand enough to expand into the ring on the bar. Is my bushing just old and shrunk? It looks ok. Is that bar supposed to be so loose on the bushings? Thx.

A20A1
10-16-2005, 11:20 AM
the bolt torque will have little effect on the bushing... what you might need to do is replace the old bushing or mix up some filler to make a more solid bushing.

POS carb
10-17-2005, 08:16 AM
just disconnect it from the firewall make sure the bar has no front to back play, side to side is normal. The point of the bar is to keep the engine from rocking on accell/decel

w261w261
10-17-2005, 11:50 AM
I ordered the bushings today from Honda. Twenty-something dollars I think. After I install them I'll report back if there was a difference.

smufguy
10-17-2005, 12:26 PM
lol i like the way you described the upper torque rod. big mutha vibration damper :kekeke:

3G Jester
10-17-2005, 12:49 PM
wasnt there someone on here who made ghetto ass polyeurathane bushings ? or am i think of someone on v6p.net?