PDA

View Full Version : Looking to rebuild carb

snapper
08-15-2002, 07:23 AM
I'm looking to rebuild my carb on my 89 dx accord. I've cleaned it and adjusted it per the shop manual, but it still doesn't seem right. The car has about 150,000 so I figure I'll give a rebuild a shot.

My question is, what rebuild kit should I purchase? Is it worth it to get a honda one for around $125 or should is another comparable for cheaper?

Also, what is an insulator? Should I replace this when I rebuild my carb?

Thanks
Shawn

doug
08-15-2002, 07:35 AM
i rebuilt one about a month ago and have this page,
http://87accord.com/carbpage.html
that may help you durung your rebuild. As far as which kit
to get I'd say if you want to make sure all the parts fit as intended, then go with the Honda kit. I used the Beck/Arnley kit and have some notes on the website about that kit. if you find another kit that is pretty good let us know cause I got another I will be rebuilding at some point. Good luck.

snapper
08-15-2002, 12:21 PM
I was looking at your website. It's great. Nice clear pictures too. I went searching for another kit after I saw that some of the parts you said weren't exactly a perfect fit. I got the price on the rebuild kit from ahmotors.com.

What's an instulator? He said I should buy that too for $89. I know it's on the bottom of the carb somewhere.

I'll let you know how I make out with it. I'm probably not going to get to do it till labor day weekend.

shepherd79
08-15-2002, 03:09 PM
well i rebuild my carb in the spring. and i got the kit from autozone, every part fit exactly. and i paid only under $40.

ACCORD EX
08-15-2002, 03:21 PM
nice site doug ! :)

MIKE

snapper
08-15-2002, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by shepherd79
well i rebuild my carb in the spring. and i got the kit from autozone, every part fit exactly. and i paid only under $40.

Sheaperd79,

Do you know what the brand was of your rebuild kit?

Also, can anyone tell me what the insulator is or does?

doug
08-15-2002, 07:32 PM
the insulator acts as a spacer between the manifold and carb. I don't think you would need a new one, I didn't. I really did not even use the manifold to spacer gasket, just the spacer to the carb.

snapper
08-15-2002, 09:09 PM
Why does it cost so much from honda? I know everything is inflated from honda, but $90 for a spacer?

Doug, how better did you carb perform after rebuilding it?

shepherd79
08-16-2002, 03:52 AM
the spacer you are talking about is to help with cold starts. i think it is somekind electrical thing.
anyway, the kit i got it was from autozone and the name of the company GP-SORENSEN KEIHIN MODEL K-2 and it is $24.97